Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: cost of living  (Read 3494 times)

greenfamily

cost of living
« on: January 29, 2007, 05:05:20 pm »
Hi All, I have not contributed to this site but thought I would share some insight after a 30 day LSD trip to NZ. Time constraints prevented us from going to the south island.
Some observations in random;
1.NZ is beautiful and green but SA beauty and variety is unsurpassable.
2The weather is a lot milder with wind and rain (not a issue for us from cape Town )
3It is very clean I see more litter in our lift at the office than I saw in NZ as whole.
4People are very friendly and helpful.
5Everything is well structured and people obey rules . Can you imagine people standing waiting for a traffic light to change!
6It certainly is expensive ( other than cars, insurance and local land lines and broadband and cheese ) we found most items a good 50% more expensive.

One of the difficulties is to compare apples with apples. The exchange rate is only relevant to know  how many NZ dollars you will have when you arrive. But how do you know how many NZ dollars you will need to live (starting with current life expenses ) which you can than use as a guide to see how much you have to earn. The only formula I could come up with was to take my current expenses in rands and work out what percentage each was of my salary. Than knowing the NZ price for the same article with the benefit of the formula I worked out the NZ dollar salary i would have to earn.Hence my above conclusion

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
Re: cost of living
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 06:01:06 pm »
This might help, Greenfamily!
http://www.emigratenz.org/cost-of-living-in-new-zealand.HTML

got a neat little calculator for you to get an idea. :)
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 06:01:06 pm »

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 09:35:23 pm »
Hi guys, thanks for the feedback. Sounds like you guys are still positive about the move after your LSD.

It is very difficult to work out how much you need to earn to live the same as you do now or better. As we want to continue with our businesses when we arrive, we have had to approach things a bit differently.

What I have done is to search for job salaries. To see how much a salaried worker gets for the jobs we do.

Then we searched the net for other businesses in NZ that are doing the same as us. I took what they are charging per job and what the staff are being paid to do those jobs and worked out how many customers we need per month to pay that salary. Then I compared that with how many customers we get per month now to see if they are comparable.

Then we also searched for average salaries to see what the masses are earning (which I feel is not much at around $3500 pp with both adults working). I compared that to the previous data.

Going on the previous info I saw that we should be earning more in NZ than here  ;D so on that front we are pretty confident that we will be able to survive.

Then I also checked what we will be paying for housing, food, etc. to get an idea of the general cost of living.
HERE is another cost of living calculator you can use.
For Reviews and comparisons of different products go HERE.
More links HERE.

I also checked out what tax rates need to be paid on our estimated income.

Only time will tell if this was sufficient and correct though, but we are confident that we will be okay.

greenfamily

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 07:52:35 pm »
Hi, Thanks for calculator references they are handy and I had previouly consulted them.
I am of the view that you will need a minimum of 100 000 NZ dollars per year to live.
For every 100 000 rand you earn here you must according to my calc earn 28 000 nz dollars.
Houses are very expensive and you will loose a lot of capital to replace.
We have got our viasa and the idea was to come back pack up and leave mid year. We are no longer so sure. It however remains depressing to read the daily news here.
Emmigration is not for the faint hearted.
The process remains a rollercoster ride.

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 10:12:31 pm »
We have also come to $100 000, but reckon if you are earning $100 000 per year between the two of you, you are pretty well-off and not a living wage. But I suppose it depends on what you are used to in SA as well as where you stay in NZ.

It is not an easy thing to estimate accurately until you are there  :tickedoff: and probably the one area where everybody battles the most no matter where you are immigrating to.

One thing is certain though and that is that we all take a serious knock as far as housing is concerned. We end up selling houses here that are paid up or almost paid up to only end up with enough for a deposit on another house. That is an unfortunate reality for most of us.

You are right that emmigration is not for the faint hearted, it hits you hard in the back pocket.

One advantage though is that once you have recovered from that knock you will be way better off in real money terms. If you were to come back at any stage you are multiplying your dollars instead of dividing your rands. You can move to another country if you wanted to and your assets you have accumulated will be worth something.

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 03:43:45 am »
8 years ago, we had to do this change to come to the USA.  I have no clue as to how salaries have grown along with inflation on your side.  My hubby and I at the time, were earning in the regions of R18 000 cumulatively per month (gross).  Here in the States, we get paid on a bi-weekly basis (which is another thing to get used to - as different bills come off different salaries, etc), and we're earning around $5000 per month (bringing home just over $3000).  And we're a lot better off than most Americans, plus that's just Jan's income.  I've not been allowed to work here, as I don't have a work permit.  Many American families have both parents working full-time, and then they're only just making what we're making, or many times not even.  Yet everybody has a car, a tV, a cell phone, and you name it!  Your dollar goes a lot farther than your Rand.  I've looked at prices of houses there in NZ and they compare pretty well $ for $ with houses here in Cedar Park.  So I'm thinking that you may actually get away with less than $100 000 a year (which is a salary VERY FEW NZanders earn!). 
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline yolanda

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 07:44:11 am »
My husband got offered $70 000 per annum and I keep on wondering if we will be able to live from it when we get there. I dont know how soon I will get a job....does anyone know if I should worry?

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 07:44:11 am »

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 09:22:56 am »
That's a VERY good salary.  Believe me.
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 11:11:15 am »
I agree that $70 000 is a good salary. If you go and trawl around Seek.co.nz you will quickly get an idea of what the going rates for various job are. To me it seems a salary of above $50 000 a year if good. On Seek, salaries of $100 000+ are for GM's and equivalent, unless you are a Java programmer, then you are also looking at that kind of salary.

We have two businesses here which we intend doing in NZ so our research has shown that we should get around $100 000 per year from the two of them, which is way better than we are getting in SA.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 11:12:55 am by Nolan59 »

Offline GeraldH

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007, 09:46:18 am »
Any Idea as to what the average New Zealender earns.

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2007, 01:38:04 pm »
Hi Gerald. All the links you need to check up on average salaries, etc. are in the posts above.

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2007, 10:59:05 pm »
Here is a budget planner I found on the National Bank Site : Budget Planner

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2007, 10:59:05 pm »

Offline GeraldH

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2007, 07:32:34 am »
Hi all

We went to a Protia Pacific Seminar last weak, they didn't tell us much that we didn't already know from this site. What they did say is that in Auckland the average Houshold income is about 50k, wich is enough to own a house in a middle income area with 2 cars, 2 kids in school etc. etc. etc. - how mutch sales talk is involved I'm not sure.

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2007, 04:00:53 pm »
That's about right, Gerald.  But the level of luxury may be different.  i.e. the 2 cars will not be new, more likely a few years old, and the house is not a mansion, but it will be comfortable and fine.  It depends on what you're used to in SA. 

I just found this awesome site - which gives you the interest rates on mortgage loans, and prices on a bunch of other stuff that will help you determine what life may cost there.  Remember, it's better to start small and save, and then buy bigger later, than buy bigger from the beginning and pay more in interest.
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2007, 04:39:50 pm »
For most, it is actually an opportunity to become debt free, except for a bond.