Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: cost of living  (Read 3672 times)

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
Re: cost of living
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2007, 04:50:35 pm »
Nolan, maybe you can put this link up on the main info area too?  http://www.consumer.org.nz/  I find it to be a wealth of info.  THere are some areas that are subscriber only areas, but some that are free, and the free ones are very helpful too!
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2007, 05:22:52 pm »
I actually thought it was on, maybe I just posted the link on the forum. The site is excellent.

Anyway I have added it under essential links HERE

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2007, 05:22:52 pm »

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2007, 06:39:44 pm »
Cool!  Thanks, you're a  :angel:
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

greenfamily

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2007, 07:54:03 pm »
Yolanda that is certainly a above average salary. There are other factors that will play a role: how big is your family, your lifestyle and importantly how much capital you have taken over.
I would say the equivalent is R350,000 in rand terms and spending power.

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2007, 08:40:20 pm »
My husband got offered $70 000 per annum and I keep on wondering if we will be able to live from it when we get there. I dont know how soon I will get a job....does anyone know if I should worry?

Put it this way, Yolanda, that is in the top 10% of earning in the country!  There really is no need to worry. 
But Green has a very good point - it also depends on the lifestyle you're used to in SA. :)
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
  • NZ, now Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2007, 10:47:12 pm »
Hi Yolanda,
I can only echo that it depends on your lifestyle?
We living on $60 000 a year and we are very happy, but we also don't have an extravagent lifestyle. We don't go out to eat, except on birthday's etc, we have take aways once a week, we don't go to movies often, because we have Sky and we have 2  (cheap, under $10 000)cars, both financed and with fully comprehensive insurance. We currently rent a 2 bed house in Auckland for $335 a week. We pay life ensurance and we have 2 horses (grazing $200 per month), 2 dogs and 2 cats! We spend about $200 a week on groceries. Most people consider that as doing well?? We do!! ;)

The rest of NZ is cheaper then Auckland, hence the reason we moving to Christchurch, but saying that salaries can be less? We are just lucky that hubby will be earning more down there!! :o

If you are careful to start with, until you know what your lifestyle will cost you, you will be fine and if you got a job, well even better!! :)

Offline Saturn_Moon

• Certified Addict
  • Auckland, New Zealand
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2008, 07:59:29 am »
Hi Yolanda,
I can only echo that it depends on your lifestyle?
We living on $60 000 a year and we are very happy, but we also don't have an extravagent lifestyle. We don't go out to eat, except on birthday's etc, we have take aways once a week, we don't go to movies often, because we have Sky and we have 2  (cheap, under $10 000)cars, both financed and with fully comprehensive insurance. We currently rent a 2 bed house in Auckland for $335 a week. We pay life ensurance and we have 2 horses (grazing $200 per month), 2 dogs and 2 cats! We spend about $200 a week on groceries. Most people consider that as doing well?? We do!! ;)

The rest of NZ is cheaper then Auckland, hence the reason we moving to Christchurch, but saying that salaries can be less? We are just lucky that hubby will be earning more down there!! :o

If you are careful to start with, until you know what your lifestyle will cost you, you will be fine and if you got a job, well even better!! :)

Hi Happy Expat and everyone else

Still trying to catch up on many old posts.

Thanks for this awesome information everyone - my OH is so worried about finances on that side  - at least we will be able to live comfortably (according to info we found on the average starting salaries for a business analyst)  and with this information everyone has given us we can breath more easier - the house part is going to hurt the most but we are trying to brace ourselves for it.  :tongue:

Happy Expat - I am a horse lover myself but financially cannot afford a horse in SA. The buying of the horse is the easy part and as you probably know its the monthly bills that would be/ are the killer.  :-\

Please, please could you give me a basic idea of how much you pay on average for one average trained horse: Tack, feed, grooming, stabling, medical bills, shoeing, teeth, injections etc. I would really appreciate it. You can PM me if you want.

P.S. I would also like to know what is the most common form of riding style there - I would assume English because NZ is/was a British Colony or is there any western riding styles? My OH prefers western but I enjoy both styles.   :crazy2:

Thanking you in advance and I look forward to your reply.    :)

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2008, 07:59:29 am »