Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Sitting on the Fence  (Read 1256 times)

Offline GeraldH

Sitting on the Fence
« on: January 30, 2007, 01:44:53 pm »
HI all !

My wife and I have been debating the "stay or go " thing for about two months now, today we made the decision to find out all we can about moving to NZ, I have been in the IT industry for the last 8 years and my wife has been a PA with your favorite telecoms company for the last 14 years so hopefully we will be able to get over there on skills visas.

Cheers for now!

Gerald & Michelle

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
Re: Sitting on the Fence
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 02:58:17 pm »
Hi guys, glad you found us.

It is a difficult decision whether to leave or not. I always wanted to emmigrate, but mever knew when or where. My wife had never bothered thinking about it. Then our daughter was born and it was as if our eyes suddenly went open to the reality of what is happening here.

I will never tell you to stay or go, that is a choice you guys will have to make together, however we are here to support you through that decision and if you decide to go to NZ, then you are in good company here.

Here are our personal reasons for leaving :

a) Rotten education for our daughter
b) No realistic job prospects for her either
c) Crime that is spiralling out of control with no end in sight
d) BEE that is slowly tightening it's grip on our economy and will soon affect our business
e) Fed up with our corrupt government that discriminates worse than the previous one, lets criminals out everytime someone has a b'day, supports Mugabe, does nothing about crime, etc., etc.
f) We would have left anyway for the adventure
g) To earn money that is worth something so that we can travel without it costing your pension.
h) Who wouldn't want to live on an island?

Good luck with your decision. Keep us informed about which way you decide.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 02:58:17 pm »

Offline yolanda

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 03:15:19 pm »
Hi Guys,

Being in IT is great if you want to move to NZ. My husband also has an IT qualification and about 4 years worth of experience and we are taking a leap. My career will be on hold untill I can reestablish myself, but I dont care. It is not even something that I have concidered a sacrifice.
The comments on this site will obviously tell you what you already know. We will probably echo all your sentiments. The biggest question is not whether you want to go or not because I believe there is some part of every "previously advantaged" south african that wants to pack their bags and leave. Head into the sun and never look back.
The question rather is what are you willing to give up in order to gain what a first world country can give you. Are you willing to see your extended family, parents and friends only during a holiday every couple of years or so...are you willing to give up the long, hot summer days...in return you will get a quality of life that you will not get here, you will have a future for your or your future kids...our generation's sacrifice will give our children a future. Are you willing to go into the unknown and out of your comfortzone to gain peace and safety? 
One thing to take into mind is that north of us there are a multitude of people in Africa that sees south Africa as the land of milk and honey, the land of opportunity where the government is tolerant and there are food without a war for all...it is only human for all these people to want a better life...and they will flood our borders, and who blames them when you concider what the state of africa is? I would come here too if I was them...
And that is where the biggest threat for the future sustainability of the country lies.
One last comment...At the rate at which skilled people are leaving the country and our young people go abroad...and the rate at which people in the 20+ age group are saying that they are not having kids...do you want your child to be part of an even smaller minority?
But as I say mostly people on the site will all be pro-exit...you have to decide what the relative importance is of that which you are going to lose is to that which you will gain. Then make the decision and stick to your guns...no matter what...It is anything but easy.
Good luck

Offline GeraldH

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 07:32:15 am »
Thanks Guys.

We Are in, I herd From MJ on the list lastnight, that there is a presentation in Durban next Monday so I will be Attending that. Is it better to use an agency and Pay the big bucks or do the paperwork yourself ?

Offline xmanne

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2007, 03:47:36 pm »
kip, whazup? how goes your plans? we made the decision about a month back, and the wife and kiddies leave next month. proverbials on the block tho - no job offer, we dont make the point, nuutting! we got to take the chance though
kev

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
  • NZ, now Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2007, 08:52:15 pm »
Well said Yolanda!! :)

I can assure you ,that you will have days where you will ask yourself, what the hell have you gotten yourselves into, and you will feel frustrated, but I can almost guarantee you that it will all be worth it when you get here!!! ;)

Offline xmanne

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2007, 09:12:36 pm »
Well said Yolanda!! :)

I can assure you ,that you will have days where you will ask yourself, what the hell have you gotten yourselves into, and you will feel frustrated, but I can almost guarantee you that it will all be worth it when you get here!!! ;)

Hi Happy Expat, is that like a 30 day money back gaurantee? I'll take one of those please  ;)

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2007, 09:12:36 pm »

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
  • NZ, now Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2007, 10:06:13 pm »
I wish it was ;) ;D I'd hand them out for free!! ;)

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2007, 04:05:53 am »
There are no guarantees unfortunately, like Chantel found, there are people who don't wait long enough to really test the waters.  Another friend of ours who preceded us here to the States, said, the first year is like a honeymoon, you're like a tourist, and you love the place.  The second year you may feel you hate the place.  The 3rd year, you decide to love what is to love and not bother with the rest, OR you choose to leave.  Like Happy has found out with the UK, after the 3rd year and they still didn't like it there, they left.  We stayed here, and decided to apply for "Green Cards" (the USA version of PR), but unfortunately after 5.5 years of waiting, it has fallen through.  So now we too are on our way to NZ.  I have two sisters there already who have citizenship already, and both say that I will love it there.  I guess they should know - we did grow up together!  ;)
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen