Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Taking Alcohol on the plane and through customs  (Read 3269 times)

Offline hadenough

• Certified Addict
Taking Alcohol on the plane and through customs
« on: April 18, 2008, 08:20:23 pm »
My DH is going to NZ and wants to take a bottle of whiskey for his brother.  Will it be allowed on the plane (he is going singapore), and will it go through customs ok or be confiscated?
Did try to search this, but couldn't find an answer :whistle:

Offline El

Re: Taking Alcohol on the plane and through customs
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 08:37:50 pm »
As far as I know you can't take bottles in your hand luggage of more than 100ml - I don't know if that is enough whiskey????
If you buy on duty free side it is ok - you can take any size.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 08:37:50 pm »

Offline Eileen

• Certified Addict
  • Rotorua, New Zealand
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 08:44:21 pm »
He can take up to 1 liter of alcohol in his luggage.  O0

Offline Badprop

• Certified Addict
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 05:01:23 am »
Here is what you can take V, don't listen to these people.  You can take a bottle of Amarula and a bottle of Capt Morgan.   Then I can give you my address and we can celebrate the landing of another Sanner. >:D O0

Going through Sing may be a problem though.  Going through Sydney not.  So book him through Sydney O0
Take life with a pinch of salt ... a wedge of lime, and a shot of tequila

Offline Shirls

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 05:44:34 am »
If you are going to take booze, put in in your CHECKED luggage, and declare it on this end. No worries. You can not take any liquids on board of more than a 1L and it all has to be in 100ml bottles, in clear plastic bags that can be resealed.
Basically you can not buy at duty free in JHB Int, because your baggage has already been checked in... and IMHO its not cheaper than Makro anyway!
We wanted to buy a bottle of Amarula when we flew out on holiday last year, and the duty free lady saw our tickets and said we would not be allowed to take into Oz. Sure enough some poor sucker had to hand over his 3 bottles of wine when he got off the plane in oz!

Offline Badprop

• Certified Addict
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 06:04:44 am »
Poor guy.... so not fair.   :'(
Take life with a pinch of salt ... a wedge of lime, and a shot of tequila

tandl

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2008, 07:46:22 am »
Question.  Why not just buy him a bottle of whiskey on that side?

And that leads me to another question... what whiskeys do they have in NZ.  Bearing in mind my DH might just change his mind about going if they dont have Johnny Walker!!!  :o

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2008, 07:46:22 am »

Offline perasmu02

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2008, 08:08:30 am »
When my Father and me came back from Denmark, he decided to put eight "dumpies"
of viking beer, which we called :Gatstamper bier" in his hand luggage securely wrapped.
The beer (340ml) had a alc content of 12.3 and was great tasting.
No problems going out of Denmark, but in Spain I put my hand luggage through the x-ray and went  through. When my father's hand luggage went through, I saw the screen and it looked like a case of old German hand grenades. Then the guy checked again and I thought "oh s---t".
He then nodded with a big smile showing  O0 and let us through. What a relieve.
He-he.

Offline hadenough

• Certified Addict
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2008, 06:12:55 pm »
GEEZZZ this is getting complicated!  Im glad it's DH going and not be, caus BIL would get a half bottle of whiskey by the time I handed it over to him!!  About the whiskey there, he says expensive and the good stuff VERY expensive.  Don't know what expensive is, so the NZ people will have to help us out there.

Offline dance

• Certified Addict
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2008, 08:48:00 pm »
mmm so wish I could take a bottle of wild africa cream with me but I guess I will save myself the hassel.
When life throws you a lemon - make lemonade!

Offline Eileen

• Certified Addict
  • Rotorua, New Zealand
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2008, 10:58:53 pm »
mmm so wish I could take a bottle of wild africa cream with me but I guess I will save myself the hassel.
Dance, I brought a bottle of wild africa cream with me and had no hassles.  O0

Offline conorobeirne

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 03:32:49 pm »
This really is getting to be a pain in the. . .  :tickedoff:

Meanwhile Johhny bin Planebomber has probably perfected a powdered version....

In terms of getting whisky to rellies in NZ, Auckland Aiprort Duty Free is (or was!) one of the cheaper duty frees and you can buy on the way in.  It's cheaper than Sydney as the dollar prices at the airport shops are pretty much the same and the NZ$ is about 10% or so less than the Aussie$ (i.e. an item costing A$10 would cost NZ$10 and be 10% cheaper)

There are 2 smallish Duty Free shops (Regency and DFS) before the escalator that takes you down to the immigration queues. For prices look at their websites Regency and Duty Free Stores (DFS)

The bigger shops are in the departures section - not sure if you can get there on the way in though. It is also easier to buy on the way in and less schlepp to carry the bottles with you. I have always found Joburg Duty Free to be very expensive, anyway.

Check out http://www.dutyfreestores.co.nz/duty-free-auckland-airport they say that
"In most cases each adult can import 3 x 1125ml bottles of spirits or liqueurs, plus 6 x 750ml bottles of wine or port, plus 200 cigarettes without paying any extra duty or tax"

There are options to buy Duty Free online and collect it at the airport but I have only ever done this on the way out, not in. The above site does show you how to do this on the way in - means you can pay online by credit card and just collect rather than browse the shop, and you may get a bigger range of choice than what they have in the smaller shops on the way in.

BTW They have Amarula on special at NZ$26 a bottle (c.R160) !!, most ordinary whiskys between NZ$28 and 32 - more for the fancy ones.

Booze, esp sprirts & wine & cigarettes are v.expensive in NZ (lots of govt taxes so that they can tell us on TV how bad it is for us!). Prepare yourself for a shock coming from SA prices. I would get as much duty free as you can bring in & carry, esp spririts & ciggies for you or rellies/friends. Unfortunately the strong NZ dollar has not brought down prices on imported spirits much...

Lastly the wine prices duty free are not that much less than in the shops, about 5-10% cheaper on average, and there is a limited selection at the airport.  If you want to see wine prices in a large NZ retail  chain look at www.glengarrys.co.nz and compare with what the airport shops have and charge.  There a good wine shop in the airport as you come in but they tend to have the expensive stuff.

Good luck

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 03:32:49 pm »

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2008, 05:02:40 pm »
The form that Ronald posted yesterday also confirmed what Conor said above. It will have to be in checked luggage.