Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: New here  (Read 2246 times)

Offline die steenkamps

New here
« on: April 21, 2008, 11:20:50 am »
Hello all, am new to this forum. Wife forced me to do it >:D

On a more serious note, we are looking into emmigrating out of our beloved country. Must decide between Auz and NZ. I am more inclined into going to Auz, but the wife wants to go to NZ.

What is the pro's and cons of NZ? I am worried about the weather there. I am for sunshine and temps above 25*C. Love the outdoors, braai, diving, biking etc....

I can qualify for a 175 independant visa in Auz, will it be the same for NZ. Have aircraft trade qualifications.

Thank you

Stoney

tandl

Re: New here
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 12:59:05 pm »
Hi Steenkamps, welcome to the site. cant help with answers but good luck!!

I know my friends braai often and they are in Auckland!

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 12:59:05 pm »

Offline !!DV!!

• The Venter
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 01:31:12 pm »
Welcome  :clap: Yet more members

From what I read the outdoors in NZ is just fantastic, but it very rarely gets to the 25+*C if I look at the weather stats:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand#Climate

Maybe someone with more living in New Zealand experience could of more assistance.   

Offline Hayley

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 03:01:49 pm »
 Hi , ja blame the wife.. good to see you.

Air New Zealand is on a recruitment mission at the moment.

Aircraft mechs especially. Don’t know what your speciality is but I heard it said that Pickfords was shipping these guys out faster than fast. Maybe you want to look into that rumour.

Offline Saturn_Moon

• Certified Addict
  • Auckland, New Zealand
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 03:19:33 pm »
Hi there Steenkamp family.

Can't help with your answers either but welcome  :clap: to the family and  :gl: with everything.

P.S. just a few more log-ins and you will be hooked to this site like the rest of us.  ;)

Offline hadenough

• Certified Addict
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 06:20:28 pm »
Welcome Steenkamps!! and  :gl: with the decision you make.    Use the search facility on this site to answer some of your questions, and then also use the bookmark facility for things you think you may need to go back to later O0  If you don't find an answer to your question, just ask, and someone  :smart: will answer you in no time.
The only advice I can give is make absolutely sure that you and your wife are both in agreement about the place you go to.  This whole immigration thing is VERY stressful, and you don't want an unhappy partner at the end of it :-\

Offline jafa77

• Certified Addict
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 06:42:52 pm »
Well, I came to NZ because I hate the sun and heat. Australia was far too hot for me.

We have just had an awesome summer in Auckland with most summer days between 25-27 which is HOT here....but Auckland summers can also be wet some years.

South Island has alot of sun on the east coast but  much colder in winter. The weather doesnt stop anyone from doing stuff.

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 06:42:52 pm »

Offline Didi77

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 10:38:42 pm »
What is the pro's and cons of NZ? I am worried about the weather there. I am for sunshine and temps above 25*C. Love the outdoors, braai, diving, biking etc....

Welcome!!

I never spent us much outdoors as I do here in Whangarei. NZ'ers love hiking, biking etc... Diving and fishing is big in my town too...

My hubby is from Messina and he is enjoying whangarei. But we have not experienced a winter yet....  :-\

NZ is also easier to get into than Aust.

Why not come over for a LSD trip to both countries and then decide? Or do as we did. Go for both and the first one that let's you in.....  O0

:gl:

Offline dance

• Certified Addict
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 05:09:26 am »
Hi and welcome.

Must say I go with your wife on this one. There is a huge difference between warm and @#!##! hot weather. NZ has agreat outdoor lifestyle in comfortable weather. But as Didi says maybetry both on a holiday and deicde then. :gl:
When life throws you a lemon - make lemonade!

Offline Badprop

• Certified Addict
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 05:19:51 am »
Comming from Durbs I love the warm weather, it can't be hot enough for me.  When the sun shines her, I duck for cover, it is really hot in the direct rays.  Not sure if we are closer to the sun, it feels like it, or hell?  Will comment on winter by end of July. O0 
Take life with a pinch of salt ... a wedge of lime, and a shot of tequila

Offline perasmu02

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 07:41:34 am »
Welcome,
And yes, it is a huge decision to make. Just make sure you make the right decision or end up regretting it for the rest of your life. Read and learn is all that I can say.
Regards
Pieter :gl:

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2008, 08:38:28 am »
Welcome to the family Steenkamps :clap:

Only the two of you can decide which country is best for you - if you can't decide, then an LSD would be the thing to do.

NZ is an outdoor paradise, especially if you enjoy extreme sports.

:gl: with your decisions and keep us posted on your progress

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2008, 08:38:28 am »

Offline ANTONK

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2008, 05:50:35 pm »
The Steenkamps welcome to the family  :clap: and  :gl:

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
  • NZ, now Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2008, 10:03:40 pm »
Welcome to the Steenkamps :clap:

I hate the cold too, but Canterbury has a lovely climate. The summers are hot and dry. The winters are cold. I lived in the UK for 4 yrs, where winter is about 10 months long, so only having 3 months of cold here now is nothing ;) O0

Offline die steenkamps

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2008, 06:10:04 pm »
Thank you for all the replies.

We are definately going to do a LSD trip. Heard that the northern tip of the south island is not too bad.

I will be working in the middle east, it is the wife that needs to find a job in NZ. I am not planning on working too quickly in Auz or NZ. Have a great job here now.

Will just have to surf more and see what is happening on this forum.

Thank you for all the info.

Stoney