2 (1.8%)
Better work
5 (4.4%)
Other
9 (7.9%)
Kids
22 (19.3%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Author Topic: Why are you emigrating?  (Read 8003 times)

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
Re: Why are you emigrating?
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2008, 02:00:17 am »
For our children.  We took a trip down to Hamilton today, and missed the scenery in SA so much.    :'(   Here is only hills and sheep and cattle/cows, very green and beautiful, but SA is so much more interesting and full of character and diverse.  I think it will take me and Gert a lifetime to get africa out of our blood. 

What??  And you didn't let me know you were coming?   :knuppel2:

For sure, you will not get the same scenery in NZ as in South Africa.  In fact, nowhere in the world.  You have to accept that you have to remember the scenery in South Africa is unique, but then there is beautiful scenery all over the world if you're willing to see it in it's own unique beauty.  I love the rolling hills here with cattle and sheep.  It's a peaceful feeling... there is unique stuff here that again you won't find anywhere else in the world.

The grass may literally be greener here... but you have to ask yourself what you are looking for in a new country.  Are you simply looking for a change of scenery?   Are you wanting financial affluence?  Or are you looking for another country that is close enough in culture to SA, yet without the crime and fear that you now live with on a daily basis.  No matter which country you choose, it will be different.  Accept that.  But from all those to choose from, I think NZ culture is closest to that of South Africa.  And there's enough of us here, to make you feel sort of at home...  but it will still take time to make friends and really feel that you fit in.  If you want to "get rich quick" or maintain the same affluence you may be enjoying in SA now, then you may as well stay right where you are.  Life is not getting rich quick.  And no matter where you emigrate to, you will need to take a step backwards in finances, that is a simple fact of life.
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline Saturn_Moon

• Certified Addict
  • Auckland, New Zealand
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2008, 05:53:32 am »
Or are you looking for another country that is close enough in culture to SA, yet without the crime and fear that you now live with on a daily basis. 

To this I can definitely say 'yes'.  Thanks zatexnz - you hit the nail on the head.

And also thinking about what ronaldd said below, I remember the days when: I spent the first 5 years of my life growing up in Newlands, Johannesburg, Gauteng. I used to walk up on my own to the shops and one block up to visit my cousins with no problems or fears.
When I was about 6 years old my family moved to Florida (also Gauteng) and I remember just about walking and cycling the streets flat on my own.

I so badly miss walking or jogging on my own - it's not even safe enough anymore to walk with your partner - violent crime has extended to such a degree nothing will stop those criminals just for your cellphone - your life means nothing.  :'(

I also wanted to add that I am absolutely fed up with the taxis. They drive how and where they want and just about control the government because they control the transportation of the commuters - the commuters lives also means nothing to these drivers - it's just blood money.

My OH and I had actually wanted to rellocate to Mpumalanga (for those who remember it being called Eastern Transvaal) and live near Graskop on a farm. We have never enjoyed the city life (Gauteng). But we are afraid of getting killed while just relaxing in our back yard or getting a land claim on our farm and losing it - and it looks like the government is still going to be busy with land reformation for a very long time. (I am aware that this is/was also going on in NZ - but from my knowledge it is managed a lot better).

What we like about NZ is that there are not so many people (4 mil compared to SA's - what is it? - 50mil - of which 25% is unemployed). Family and quality of life is important to NZ'ers - not big fancy houses, flashing cars and designer clothes. We look forward to a more relaxed lifestyle and not Gauteng's everything-needs-to get-done-yesterday mindset!

Okay let me stop now.  ;D But thanks leon.vorster for this topic - it helps to re-ascertain our reasons for going and to also confirm that we are not the only ones who is seeing what is happing here in SA.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 12:13:47 pm by Saturn_Moon »

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2008, 05:53:32 am »

Offline Amber

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2008, 08:21:21 am »
I’ve thought long and hard about this topic.  SA itself is a beautiful country.  But the evil that resides here supersedes any beauty.  I was once a relaxed happy-go-lucky person, now I am so stressed my kids get their heads bitten off on a daily basis.  I have let the pressures and strains of living in this society get the better of me.  The crime, the need to not only “keep up with the Jones” but be better than them, the bad attitude and the fact that the majority of Safers feel they are above the law is too much for me to bear anymore. 
I also worry about my kids.  My son is 13, he does not know what it means to have some freedom.  He is locked behind gates and bars all the time, at home and at school.  I am too afraid to let him ride 1km to school on his bike because his friend was hi-jacked and beaten for his bike.  I want him and my other 2 to enjoy their childhood before it is gone. 
So I guess we are leaving for a better, safer lifestyle for all of us.  Where we have time to enjoy each other as a family and hopefully be able to live in the same country as our grandchildren as opposed to our kids having to emigrate because they can not find work here.
Amber
Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe

Offline leon.vorster

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2008, 08:52:17 am »
I see Family/Kids are almost half as important as crime as a reason to leave SA. I am going over alone. my mom still stays is SA and my 2 brothers.

They think I'm the  :uglystupid2: one.

Lets see how green is my valley. :sleep: Are thing happening so slowly.

Offline leon.vorster

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2008, 09:45:44 am »
Everywhere I go I think we should start a poll on how to take out a Taxi. :D ;)

;D ;D

Offline Saturn_Moon

• Certified Addict
  • Auckland, New Zealand
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2008, 09:53:16 am »
Everywhere I go I think we should start a poll on how to take out a Taxi. :D ;)

;D ;D

Here's a few suggestions    :twoguns: :guns: :death: :cursing: If only...

;)

Or maybe drop a bomb on all the taxi ranks with all the taxis there (but no people of course - I hate taxi drivers but not that much) and then totally soup up and fix our other public transport systems so the taxi commuters have other means to get to work.

Offline leon.vorster

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2008, 10:06:55 am »
 ;D >:D :knuppel2:

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2008, 10:06:55 am »

Offline leon.vorster

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2008, 11:12:06 am »
I wonder with about 50 voters does that mean there's only 50 people on this site.

:blush:

Offline Alta van zyl

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2008, 11:19:05 am »
Some people just may not want to give their opinion, and would rather read what others has to say.

Offline leon.vorster

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2008, 11:25:11 am »
Slaap mense nie in Aucland nie :2funny:

Offline Awa

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2008, 08:00:29 am »
We are leaving because South Africa has no problems.  We have no problem with crime, no problem with AIDS, the electricity is not a problem and rape is not a problem.  While the government has this 'no problem' attitude none of the non existing problems can be solved.
Arrive in NZ in August 2008
WP received October 2008
EOI submitted April 2010
ITA received April 2010
PR Application Submitted 07 July 2010
PR Approved 18 February 2011

Offline Saturn_Moon

• Certified Addict
  • Auckland, New Zealand
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2008, 08:04:27 am »
We are leaving because South Africa has no problems.  We have no problem with crime, no problem with AIDS, the electricity is not a problem and rape is not a problem.  While the government has this 'no problem' attitude none of the non existing problems can be solved.

Talk about short and sweet.  ;)

Well said Jackie.  O0  Let's also not forget that there is no problem with our neighbouring country Zim....

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2008, 08:04:27 am »

Offline WendyH

• Certified Addict
  • Otorohanga, Waikato
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2008, 10:12:13 am »
Yep that's why we left Zim - no problem there at all!
EOI selected - 21 May 2008
ITA received - 1 July 2008
ITA lodged - 14 July 2008
PR approved in principle 04 May 2009
Received passports with stickers - 03 June 2009

Offline jafa77

• Certified Addict
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2008, 10:16:28 am »
Long live Comrade Mugabe....no problem. :knuppel2:

Offline ANTONK

• Resident
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2008, 02:58:04 pm »
I wonder with about 50 voters does that mean there's only 50 people on this site.

:blush:

Leon there are over 4000 members on this site and it's like Alta said - not everybody are on the forum to give there opinion.