Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: New SA Homeland?  (Read 14201 times)

Offline janvs

• Arrived !
Re: New SA Homeland?
« Reply #105 on: August 11, 2008, 08:08:22 am »
Hi,

Been here just over three months and I no longer feel "new"
I have become a Kiwi in a very short space of time and it does not even feel as if I moved to another country.

I still speak Afrikaans at home and i still have the "funny' accent but my colleages at work has accepted me as part of the team.

My wife knows all the shopping centres in North Shore (and other area) just as well as she knew Eastgate and East rand mall shopping centres.

She cooks better than ever before - maybe becuase the meat and chicken taste better over here.

South Africa ?

Africa can no longer be a home to the white man  >:D

Just my 64c (NZ currency)

Jan
EOI drawn on 04/06/2008
ITA received 26/06/08
Completed ITA submitted 20/08/08
Received PR 25/11/08
Received passports with PR 21/01/09

[/u

Offline soniag

« Reply #106 on: August 11, 2008, 12:29:32 pm »
ja wraggies rindels...I'm fourth generation Dutch here in SA...nogals.... O0
You cannot control what life brings your way. But what you do with it is up to you.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #106 on: August 11, 2008, 12:29:32 pm »

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
  • NZ, now Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #107 on: August 15, 2008, 12:44:29 am »
Johanpet1, Hunting is huge here? Not sure who told you it wasn't?? My neighbour is trying very hard to get hubby to join him, but we don't like the idea of hunting at all :-\

My grandparents were dutch ;)

Offline dance

• Certified Addict
« Reply #108 on: August 19, 2008, 10:38:50 pm »
Jaffa I read your comments with great interest. We have been saying the same thing about South African get togethers as we feel we need to kiwi up. This is not to say that we avoid fellow saffers. We just do not want to get into the whole thing where we do not integrate effectively because all our time is spent with saffers and conversation revolves around what used to be

ok I will duck now and wait for all the artillary that is sure to come my way :-X
When life throws you a lemon - make lemonade!

Offline itbjcm

« Reply #109 on: August 19, 2008, 11:17:47 pm »
No  :knuppel2: from this side, Dance.  :)

Offline Saturn_Moon

• Certified Addict
  • Auckland, New Zealand
« Reply #110 on: August 20, 2008, 05:36:50 am »
Jaffa I read your comments with great interest. We have been saying the same thing about South African get togethers as we feel we need to kiwi up. This is not to say that we avoid fellow saffers. We just do not want to get into the whole thing where we do not integrate effectively because all our time is spent with saffers and conversation revolves around what used to be

ok I will duck now and wait for all the artillary that is sure to come my way :-X

No artillery from this side either. I really couldn't agree with you more, Dance. Besides I look forward to the day when I get a Kiwi accent and I can't get that by hanging out with new SA expats all the time. When I was in the States on a working vacation I so wanted to pick up a Yankee accent but couldn't because I was around SA'ns and foreigners most of the time.

It's cool to meet up with SA'ns in NZ but I also really want to make Kiwi friends - and I hope that it won't be too difficult or take too long.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 09:05:01 am by Saturn_Moon »

Offline jafa77

• Certified Addict
« Reply #111 on: August 20, 2008, 06:43:38 am »
Thanks Dance.

I have lots of Saffer friends but I also have Kiwi friends. Its about a balance I think.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #111 on: August 20, 2008, 06:43:38 am »

Offline ScillaGP

« Reply #112 on: August 20, 2008, 08:45:16 am »
Jaffa
I agree with you, that is exactly why we have choosen not to live on North Shore - We want to intergate into our new home and meet loads of Kiwi's.  :clap:

Offline jafa77

• Certified Addict
« Reply #113 on: August 20, 2008, 11:01:29 am »
There are Kiwis on the North Shore...... :heeha: :2funny:

The Saffers hang out in East Coast Bays/Browns Bay areas......the North Shore is big. You can avoid the Saffer ghetto if you try.

so where do you live?

Offline ScillaGP

« Reply #114 on: August 20, 2008, 05:55:51 pm »
When we get there in Dec we will be living in Westen Springs, my son will go to Western Springs college and my daughter to Auckland Uni. My sister lives there and loves it.