Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: New SA Homeland?  (Read 14227 times)

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
    • Oosthuizen family in NZ
Re: New SA Homeland?
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2008, 12:31:08 am »
Good 2c, Cheers,  O0 , SAKB.
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
18/07/2007-Selected from the Pool
07/03/2008-Receive ITA
15/05/2008-ITA Submitted-(hou duim vas)
11/12/2008-PR GRANTED-(thanx a lot!!!)

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)

Offline ronaldd

• Certified Addict
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2008, 04:27:09 am »
Don't you just love journalism.

I have been here for 7 days now and have so far enjoyed it. The people I work with are great. That includes South Africans and Kiwi's of all colours.

I don't plan to live in the past, but at the same time I do not want to forget my past. I was a patriotic South African, now I plan on becoming a patriotic Kiwi. If one does not have this attitude I suggest they stay out.

That is my 2 cents worth.

yes,  but your NZ 2 cents are now 11.6 South African cents with a 4% inflation rate:D
even more happiness about the value for money you get for your 2c.

Just for an update.. today the exchange rate is 5.84... not the lowest this month i saw it (5.7) but definately not 6.15 from last month.  If it can get to 5.5 i get another R10 000 on my money from my house :D  come on babyshoes!!!!
2008-04-06 Landed
2008-06-06 WP.
2008-06-17 EOI
2008-07-16  Selected
2008-12-04 Residence application submitted
2009-03-30 Residence + RRV Granted
2009-04-07 Received passports
2014-07-28 Citizenship

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2008, 04:27:09 am »

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
  • NZ, now Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2008, 04:54:53 am »
Something that I've noticed from being away from SA for a while now. The guys new to NZ (including myself) have so much anger when they leave, and who can blame us. We arrive in NZ and it's a honeymoon, everything is so different and so "nice", then after a while you start to miss SA or just miss the similar things from SA, so you go into this, "lets have a dig at NZ" mode? I think that's where some people are, when they either decide, stuff SA I'm happy and safe now or they only see the hardships of immigration and that fact that kiwi's are so different, which makes them so depressed that they want to go back......and some do go back, slang off NZ then realise how good they had it here, but it's too late????

Offline Amber

« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2008, 07:47:41 am »
I wish somebody from the You could join this forum and have a read at the other sides opinions!

There was one comment in the article that I agreed with though and that is "Immigration is not for sissies" and those that did not realize it are now crying like babies!

Amber
Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe

Offline onix

« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2008, 09:16:45 am »
The biggest problem is people try to change NZ into SA, that will never work, it will only make it harder to adapt. And wearing velskoen, khaki shirts with the big 5 printed  on it will not help either.

I've have never seen a positive article about emigration before. I've read articles about the UK, Oz, USA, Canada, etc etc and they only focus on the negative aspects of emigration.

We have decided to go to NZ, but we are fully aware that it is not an utopia, and we are preparing ourselves for the "worst", but at least we will be safer and our children will have a better chance for a future.

Offline jafa77

• Certified Addict
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2008, 09:32:30 am »
I think you might find its a lot closer to Utopia than you think..... ;) At least compared to SA......

Offline Etresia

« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2008, 09:49:24 am »
That article is purely sensationalist and generic.   :sleep: The content could apply to immigrants anywhere.  In Canada the SA immigrants have an annual afrikaans music festival called Kanasie and there are a host of other similar issues.

Its a case of myopic journalism. :sleep:

« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2008, 09:49:24 am »

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2008, 10:52:41 am »
My kiwi friends love it that I wear a NZ cap, support the All Blacks and best of all, I support my beloved Crusaders :smitten:

Offline Saturn_Moon

• Certified Addict
  • Auckland, New Zealand
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2008, 01:04:06 pm »
Saturn get your facts in a row and hit the in laws with it.  Gently though, they are only trying to keep you guys there cause they gonna miss you.  But you can't argue facts if it is right infront of you.

We have done just that, but have found it better than my OH speaks to his mum - she seems more understanding and doesn't then think it was all my idea with absolutely no thought put into it - to be quite honest my OH was the one who actually suggested immigration to me about 1 1/2 years ago....

anyways - we have done our research so thoroughly it hurts and know all the negatives that go with the positives with immigration in general and to NZ for that matter and we still can hardly wait for our feetsies to touch NZ soil.    ;)

Offline alwyn

« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2008, 05:07:52 pm »
I find it difficult how people can complain about the kiwi's being so much different.  We live in the rainbow nation and every part of it is totally different from any other part...

Offline itbjcm

« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2008, 04:25:30 pm »

I am personally sick of being told how rubbish it is overseas and how racist I am and how pathetic I am for leaving SA, etc., etc.

It's my life, so just leave me alone when I get to NZ. If you want to write an article about ex SA, don't come knocking on my door.

If you want to write an article about a new Kiwi who is prepared to do what it takes to forget his old life and build a new one, come and talk to me.

Could not have word my own feelings better, Nolan. I will never refer to myself as an ex-South-African, but as a Kiwi.  So there You go.

Offline hadenough

• Certified Addict
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2008, 04:38:34 pm »
Ditto to that.  Although, I will always miss South Africa. The place, not what goes on here!!

« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2008, 04:38:34 pm »

Offline Ryno

« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2008, 10:12:54 pm »
Well after reading the famous article all I think is "so what"?  It is nothing else than propaganda  :knuppel2: by those in the unfortunate position of not being able to expand their horizon enough to consider a "fresh start" for them and their families.  Who said it is going to be easy... anyone thinking emigrating would be a bed of roses must wake up.

I have difficulty understanding how people can decide to make the change but then want to hold on to their own "little SA in NZ" :idiot2:.  I question their reasons for emigrating and believe that they are setting themselves up for failure.  You have sever  :'( the connection between your past (isn't that exactly what we are trying to do?) and move on, do whatever you can to assimilate into your NZ society.

We are going over with a positive attitude, understanding that it would probably take the best part of three years to get over the trauma of uprooting and leaving behind those that you love and your country of birth.

All we can do is to encourage each other on the SA side and supporting each other on the NZ side, not to create our only SA, but to become fully integrated in our new country.  :gl:

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2008, 10:33:19 pm »
Well said Ryno O0

If everybody could have that sort of attitude, things would go so much better O0

Offline ronaldd

• Certified Addict
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2008, 10:42:54 pm »
agree with ryna

well,  we are from New SouthAfrica,  now we are New ZeaLand :D

So ,  we love new things :D

i would not exactly say sever all links to SA... because i have family there.. i still have an interest what happens there because of them.
2008-04-06 Landed
2008-06-06 WP.
2008-06-17 EOI
2008-07-16  Selected
2008-12-04 Residence application submitted
2009-03-30 Residence + RRV Granted
2009-04-07 Received passports
2014-07-28 Citizenship