Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Afrikaanse Kinders  (Read 4856 times)

Offline alwyn

Re: Afrikaanse Kinders
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2010, 10:48:18 am »
We went to live in Asia for 4 years when my son was 18 months old.  Never spoke a word of English in the home except with friends.  His English was better than his Afrikaans when we left, and he always spoke English to everybody but us as he thought everyone else was English.  Afrikaans was almost something we invented in the family :)  After a year in South-Africa he only speaks Afrikaans (spelling has some issues), but his English is still way better than his peers.

Offline jacosmitza

« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2016, 02:32:01 pm »
Hi everybody

I noticed that most of the threads on this topic is a bit old.  I'm glad I got to this one, as this is my biggest concern.  We are currently still doing research and with 3 kiddies, I want to be sure that I know what needs to happen WAY in advance to our applications actually going in.

Our kids are 9 (Grade 3), 4 and 20 months.  They are in a VERY Afrikaans school and are extremely happy there.  The school doesn't follow the state curriculum at all, they have their own curriculum and high school follows the Cambridge University curriculum.  My son, eldest, is pretty much bilingual and and speak, read and write Afrikaans and English.  My middle daughter is starting to catch on to English and she can understand instructions and she tries her best to answer you in English.  The baby girl is currently on Afrikaans only.

I'm not very keen on moving them from the school they are now as the classes are extremely small (+-15 kids per class), so the attention, discipline and education they are receiving is by FAR better than the state schools.

I'm worried about them if it comes to a point where we will have to make the move.  I think they will catch on to the language easy enough, but will they be on the same standard as the kids in NZ?  I've also heard from family members that there is a school in Hamilton region that teaches in Afrikaans as long as there isn't an English pupil in the class.  Does anybody know if there is a bilingual school available or is the transition easy enough for the kids from Afrikaans to English?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated as I'm sure things must have changed slightly since the last comments on this thread.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2016, 02:32:01 pm »

Offline ShaunB

• SATONZ
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2016, 08:58:40 pm »
Hi everybody

I noticed that most of the threads on this topic is a bit old.  I'm glad I got to this one, as this is my biggest concern.  We are currently still doing research and with 3 kiddies, I want to be sure that I know what needs to happen WAY in advance to our applications actually going in.

Our kids are 9 (Grade 3), 4 and 20 months.  They are in a VERY Afrikaans school and are extremely happy there.  The school doesn't follow the state curriculum at all, they have their own curriculum and high school follows the Cambridge University curriculum.  My son, eldest, is pretty much bilingual and and speak, read and write Afrikaans and English.  My middle daughter is starting to catch on to English and she can understand instructions and she tries her best to answer you in English.  The baby girl is currently on Afrikaans only.

I'm not very keen on moving them from the school they are now as the classes are extremely small (+-15 kids per class), so the attention, discipline and education they are receiving is by FAR better than the state schools.

I'm worried about them if it comes to a point where we will have to make the move.  I think they will catch on to the language easy enough, but will they be on the same standard as the kids in NZ?  I've also heard from family members that there is a school in Hamilton region that teaches in Afrikaans as long as there isn't an English pupil in the class.  Does anybody know if there is a bilingual school available or is the transition easy enough for the kids from Afrikaans to English?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated as I'm sure things must have changed slightly since the last comments on this thread.

Hi, the school my kids are in are very well equipped with dealing with things like this and they do offer resource teachers to help out. I wouldn't look for an Afrikaans school as you will be living in an English speaking country and the sooner you transition them the better for them. I know of many Afrikaans speaking families here who's kids have transitioned to English and they manage to keep the Afrikaans language at home and they are all happy with that.

However it is really interesting hearing Afrikaans spoken with a kiwi accent.
www.satonz.nz
my satonz discussion pages... :)