Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Can a Lecturer survive in NZ?  (Read 939 times)

Offline carfrog

Can a Lecturer survive in NZ?
« on: March 23, 2008, 04:28:51 pm »
Many thanks for the welcome and the responses. Been looking around this and other sites and inevitably this has generated a lot more questions.

Is the weather really that cold in the winter?

Alarmingly I have read of tremors and gale force winds, something I had not considered, how extreme?

Could I and my partner live on a lecturers salary, I have read that the cost of living is very expensive, not looking to be rich but would want to be comfortable.

I am 50,  Louise Maraise (thanks for the response) suggests I am so in. Is or would my age be a barrier, what about the medical, I am a wee bit cuddly round the middle. As a younger man I was disqualified from driving (stupidity and poor judgement) would this be  a deciding factor.

Apologies for all the questions (curious and inquisitive by default) any responses would be great and once again thanks for the welcome and the earlier responses, great site and friendly too

Offline jafa77

• Certified Addict
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 06:46:17 pm »
depends where you are in NZ......a cold day in Dunedin in winter might mean some hill snow around town......0C up to 4C or 5C. A cold day in Auckland in winter might be 12C and rain........average more like 14C..... And winter is winter. When the temps go below 20C in April they stay below until November. Unlike in SA where temps fluctuate greatly.

It can be windy and we do have tremors in some parts of the country occasionally. This can be avoided by not living in Hawkes Bay or Wellington areas.

We have had the most amazing summer this year so a bit of rain and cold will be welcome after the heat.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 06:46:17 pm »

Offline Eileen

• Certified Addict
  • Rotorua, New Zealand
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 08:36:27 pm »
Could I and my partner live on a lecturers salary, I have read that the cost of living is very expensive, not looking to be rich but would want to be comfortable.

I am 50,  Louise Maraise (thanks for the response) suggests I am so in. Is or would my age be a barrier, what about the medical, I am a wee bit cuddly round the middle. As a younger man I was disqualified from driving (stupidity and poor judgement) would this be  a deciding factor.

Apologies for all the questions (curious and inquisitive by default) any responses would be great and once again thanks for the welcome and the earlier responses, great site and friendly too
Hi Carfrog. You need about $1000 per week to live reasonably comfortably. Do a search on the site and you'll find it has been discussed quite a few times.

No worries if you are 'a wee bit cuddly round the middle'. As long as you are healthy it wouldnt pose a problem.

I cannot remember the cut-off age now, I think it's 54 or 56. So you'll be fine.

Don't know about the driving thing. If this resulted in something that might pop up on your Police Clearance, you might have some difficulties. But it all depends on the severity of the sentance and what happened since then. Be upfront with INZ from the start and work through the issues as they pop up.

Immigration is never easy, but in the end extremely rewarding. So  :gl: and keep us posted.