Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Wooden furniture - what and not?  (Read 2716 times)

Offline Hopeful

• Auckland, NZ
Wooden furniture - what and not?
« on: June 25, 2008, 11:01:07 am »
Hi again.

I need to know what wooden furniture is allowed in to NZ and what is not. I have some Indonesian teak garden furniture that I'd love to bring, but it's not varnished, it just gets oiled. Does that even make a difference? Are there different categories for treated and non-treated? I need some  :smart: to help me here please.  Thanks again

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
Re: Wooden furniture - what and not?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 12:44:46 pm »
the best place is to visit the Biosecurity site HERE, they have a breakdown of what you can and can't take

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 12:44:46 pm »

Offline aniena

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 11:29:56 pm »
we'll still waiting for our container but as far as we know (want the moving companies tell you) is that you are not allowed to take any raw wood (untreated).

Also somethng to think about- we are in Wellington and we packed plastic garden chairs and tabes - due to the wind I don't think we will ever use it.  I don't know how heavy your chairs are? Our friends in Auckland also say that the wind is sometimes very strong. They had to close the bridge the other day. Maybe our Auckland and other members can tell us if garden furniture is a problem due to the wind???

Offline Hopeful

• Auckland, NZ
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 05:54:06 pm »
I also read about the 'untreated' wood not being allowed to be brought in, but I'm not clear on what 'untreated' is. Most wood used for furniture has been treated to keep the termites away, but I don't know if my furniture would be 'treated' enough. Oh well, I'll just have to wait until the container guys come one day to give me a quote. It's still a long way off.  :(

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
    • Oosthuizen family in NZ
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 05:59:36 pm »
"Treated" means, as far as I have it, either oiled or farnished. If it haven't got this then it is seen as untreated and therefor will not be allowed onto NZ soil. I might be wrong but that is how I remember it. Cheers, SAKB.
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
18/07/2007-Selected from the Pool
07/03/2008-Receive ITA
15/05/2008-ITA Submitted-(hou duim vas)
11/12/2008-PR GRANTED-(thanx a lot!!!)

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)

Offline Hopeful

• Auckland, NZ
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 11:04:47 am »
Thanks for the advice guys. My furniture is oiled, so looks like no probs there. My furniture is heavy enough to withstand the Cape southeaster and it's holding up in the Cape winter storm that is going on today - I almost thought the roof would blow off!

Offline kari

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 04:27:57 pm »
HI there and sorry for the partial 'hi-jack', but since a piano is wooden i reckon it qualifies here. We need a paino in our house. Bring our own or buy there? The transport of a paino is such a big issue ... it is worthwhile? has anybody else done it? has anyone tried to buy a second hand piano in NZ? What would it cost?
Thanks

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 04:27:57 pm »

Offline soniag

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 05:00:47 pm »
Kari, we also have a piano, but i'm giving it to my brother. We are thinking of buying an electronic one in NZ.
Havent looked at the prices of it yet, but for the price of briging ours over (they crate it ) its just not worth it for me.
So maybe you should look into the prices of pianos in NZ before you make that disision?
Just a thought, so tell us what you find out! :)
You cannot control what life brings your way. But what you do with it is up to you.

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
    • Oosthuizen family in NZ
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 10:45:39 pm »
Ditto soniag, I think it would be better to buy here in NZ. They could then deliver and tune and do what needs to be done, bob's your uncle, no hassles. SAKB.
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
18/07/2007-Selected from the Pool
07/03/2008-Receive ITA
15/05/2008-ITA Submitted-(hou duim vas)
11/12/2008-PR GRANTED-(thanx a lot!!!)

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)

Offline ScillaGP

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 11:31:00 am »
Cut directly from biosecurity New Zealand

Wooden items and curios
Wooden items, including those made of untreated wood with bark, such as traditional carvings and curios, can harbour wood boring insects and other pests.

If required, these items can be treated at the importer's expense.

Offline Feather

• Resident
  • Heather - Kaiapoi, Christchurch
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 11:00:10 pm »
A bit late catching up on the posts. We brought an organ with us, it was specially crated by the movers.  My mum wanted to give us her piano, which I would have loved to bring with us (DH just admitted that he would rather have had it too  :knuppel2:) couldn't bring both instruments, so we had to make a decision.  Mum decided that seen as DH's father was pushing the organ on us she would keep the piano, now I have the space for the piano  :'(
Look at all at all the costs involved before you make any decisions.

Offline Didi77

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 10:18:07 am »
I brought my piano

got a few bimps and scratches

they are cheap here - compared to sa

your chooice - if you have space bring it - if not, buy mine please - I do not have space in this small house!!!

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 10:18:07 am »

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 12:31:08 am »
As for bringing wooden things in.... it all sounds really scary when you read the MAF site, but you don't need to break your head about it.  We brought in some wooden carvings and artwork - one was an eagle that was carved from a tree trunk.  the base was split.  When the MAF guy looked at it, he was a bit concerned about the crack, and we just said, oh it's been like that since we got it, and we've had it for 6 years.  There's definitely no woodborers, you can check it out.  That satisfied him,and he moved on... As long as it's clean and you can see easily that it's not got borers or stuff, you should be fine. 

As for pianos, my sister brought our upright with them in their container - but that is a family heirloom, so it's $value didn't even count in the decision making.  If your piano has no sentimental value, or antique (heirloom) value, then I'd say it may not be worth it to ship it over.
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen