Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: To South Africans, NZ is safe  (Read 2672 times)

Offline !!DV!!

• The Venter
To South Africans, NZ is safe
« on: June 28, 2008, 08:15:49 pm »
To South Africans, NZ is safe
By REBECCA TODD - The Press | Saturday, 28 June 2008

SAFER SHORES: Roseanne Hawarden, of the South Island New Zealand Association of Southern Africans, says South Africans experience a great sense of liberation on moving to New Zealand.

Internal politics and violence are pushing more South Africans away from their homeland towards the safer shores of New Zealand, researchers and community members say.

Christchurch's growing South African community was recognised with the launch of an Afrikaans collection at Christchurch Central Library yesterday.

South Island New Zealand Association of Southern Africans (Sinzasa) chairwoman Roseanne Hawarden said she had noticed a dramatic increase in the number of South Africans moving here over the past year.

Christchurch had about 6000 South African families and could expect many more if Jacob Zuma became president in the next elections, she said.

"If Zuma is elected president, I think a lot of people are concerned about a form of civil war in South Africa, which will precipitate a lot of people wanting to go."

Hawarden said South Africans, especially Afrikaans speakers, had a close connection with their country and often had a huge sense of loss on leaving it, which made initiatives such as the book collection important.

They also experienced a great sense of liberation on moving to New Zealand and its relative safety. "At home, we had bars on windows and burglar alarms. I used to wear a panic button if I went out alone and at one stage we had a 24-hour armed guard on our gate. It's not a life to bring children up in."

South Africa was a beautiful country, but ongoing violence and instability meant few migrants returned home.

Massey University lecturer and researcher Dr Carina Meares said it was push factors in South Africa that led people to migrate rather than pull factors in New Zealand.

"They are attempting to avoid what's often seen to be a very crime-ridden and violent society and moving towards New Zealand as a safer place to bring up families," said Meares.

As a group South Africans were ethnically diverse, making it hard to generalise about their experiences in New Zealand.

Some did not experience a major culture clash and spoke English fluently so were more readily accepted into the job market, she said.

In contrast, a black woman Meares had interviewed said she was expecting a tolerant society, but in fact suffered a lot of discrimination and felt disillusioned about New Zealand.

The number of South Africans granted residency in New Zealand has remained reasonably stable over the past eight years at about 3700 a year. However, the number granted work permits has jumped from 1758 in 1999/2000 to 6547 in 2007/08.

As per www.stuff.co.nz

Should be moved to the News Section  :blush:
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 08:37:04 pm by !!DV!! »

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
Re: To South Africans, NZ is safe
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 12:21:22 pm »
nah, this is just the kind of re-assurance everybody needs when deciding to go or not, so let's leave it here O0

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 12:21:22 pm »

Offline !!DV!!

• The Venter
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 07:14:50 pm »
100% okay with me...

The folks here in NZ are very friendly !!!  :smitten:

I opened my Bank account Yesterday one of the big banks and was helped in Afrikaans !!!   :clap:

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 09:52:14 am »
cool O0

Offline ANTONK

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 07:19:44 pm »
Ditto Nolan  O0

Offline pieter7333

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 06:56:42 pm »
100% okay with me...

The folks here in NZ are very friendly !!!  :smitten:

I opened my Bank account Yesterday one of the big banks and was helped in Afrikaans !!!   :clap:
O0What info did they asked you to open a account,how much must you have to open a account DV ?
PV

Offline !!DV!!

• The Venter
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 07:05:10 pm »
All that they needed was my address in NZ and two forms of Photo ID

I just had to make a choice on the type of account that I needed / wanted  O0

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 07:05:10 pm »

Offline pieter7333

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 07:10:15 pm »
All that they needed was my address in NZ and two forms of Photo ID

I just had to make a choice on the type of account that I needed / wanted  O0
:crazy2:Moet jy nie slaap nie boet??

Offline !!DV!!

• The Venter
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 07:21:02 pm »
Klaar geslaap ! Vroeë oggend !

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
    • Oosthuizen family in NZ
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 07:46:08 pm »
Take the time in SA, add 12 hours and deduct 2 hours.
e.g: it should be +-20h45 in SA. + 12 hrs = +-08h45, min 2 hrs = +-06h45
En ja ons is vroee boere in NZ  :2funny:  :2funny:. Cheers, SAKB
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
18/07/2007-Selected from the Pool
07/03/2008-Receive ITA
15/05/2008-ITA Submitted-(hou duim vas)
11/12/2008-PR GRANTED-(thanx a lot!!!)

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)

Offline Didi77

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 10:37:58 pm »
I gotta tell you guys when I came here it was all "push factors" that drove me from SA.

But recently I have been feeling some "pull factors" for staying in NZ. Perhaps the fear of crime in SA has been fading a bit? But I like the way family life is important and the shopping and the clean streets and the great spirit between the saffers (there are very few "losers" under the saffers, you must be made of strong stuff to immigrate!!)

I think I am getting to like this place!  :smitten:

tandl

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 07:31:24 am »
Thats excellent didi! And I think its necessary too, because at some point you "forget" what the push factors out of SA were and I think thats when it becomes difficult. Funny, I dont know if the weather  has improved or something but a lot of friends in NZ seem to be more positive in the last few days!  :D

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 07:31:24 am »

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 09:18:33 pm »
thats great Didi :clap: