Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Maybe not for us?  (Read 1621 times)

Offline Beverly

Maybe not for us?
« on: June 29, 2008, 11:55:25 am »
Have you ever been feeling this NZ story is not for you?  For the last 6 months I have been praying for an answer must we go or stay!  And it looks like nothing want's to work out for us.  My DH is Head of a Traffic Department station.  Studied futher in this direction, but doesn't help at all. !!!So, it difficult finding a job, cause there's no traffic departments in NZ.  Done by Police.   But decided to try anyway.

Got an agent in Wellington, (she's really helping alot), got an interview at Correctional Services.
So happy, put our house on the market (thinking it will take about 8 months to sell). What ???
House is sold 2 weeks later and week after that our agent phone, NZ change it laws, and now only candidates of 4 years experience in correctional service will be considered? 

DH went anyway, and returning end of next week, with no job! :'(  Went to an expo in Wellington, send about 20 CV's out.  Done a few test for Police, passed it, but was then told
the same, only candidates of 2 years experience and PR can applied.?

So, his on his way back, and our house is sold!
Maybe we must just make peace with it.  Some people
will stay in SA.  Even if they don't want to!   :'(

Good luck to all of you, maybe you will have better luck.

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
Re: Maybe not for us?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 12:04:06 pm »
Beverly, if you guys really WANT to go to NZ, then it WILL work out for you, you may just have to take another route / career change to get there. Read my blog to get an idea of what a struggle I have had over the past 7 years to get to NZ and I am still not there, but slowly, slowly we are nearing the top of the hill. We are here to help and support you, whichever way you guys choose O0

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 12:04:06 pm »

Offline Amber

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 10:19:32 pm »
I also believe that if you really want to get to NZ you will.  There are so many diverse people here.  Don't ever give up and keep the faithe.  If you have been praying for this, and really believeing in what you are asking for it will happen.  Look at the fact that your house is sold despite a dead real estate market, surely that must be a sign of change? 
What do you do?  Perhaps you could find a job to start with?
We are here to support you
Amber
Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
  • NZ, now Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 11:49:59 pm »
Beverly, I feel for you guys, but immigration is very hard. That's why us expats get so annoyed when people say, we left on the chicken run :tickedoff:
It is a constant rollercoaster of emotions and let downs, but it's so very worth it if you just stick at it O0
Remember, where there's a will, there's a way O0
 :gl: and stay positive O0

Offline kol1974

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 01:01:27 am »
Dont give up Beverly.  Just look hard at the alternative solutions and find one that suits you best.  It really is a question of one step forward two steps back.  Keep your eye on the ball.

Offline Saturn_Moon

• Certified Addict
  • Auckland, New Zealand
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 06:43:25 am »
Hi Beverley

I'm so sorry you are feeling this way  :'(

But don't lose hope, like everyone says, when there is a will there is a way (who's Will?  ;D )

But really, even if you guys go over cowboy style (which I know is easier said than done) and just start off with any job - once you have that work permit it might be a bit easier to work your way up - congratulations on getting your house sold so quickly and keep your chin up - things WILL work out in the end. Have faith in God and he will answer the prayers in your heart...

:gl:

Offline jafa77

• Certified Addict
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 07:41:12 am »
After 3 years in UK I had to come back to SA cause my visa ran out in Jan 2002. I hated the idea of moving back to SA. I just wanted to get out.

I had to go back to university for 3 years, and then work for 2 years to get the experience before I could move to NZ. 2002-2006!!!!! It was a long haul but I knew every second would be worth it when I finally got out of SA......and I did!!!! On 31 December 2006 I left Johannesburg Airport for Aotearoa-New Zealand. Happy days........

It can be done. Dont lose hope!!!! You MUST get out of SA. Things will only get MUCH MUCH worse. Dont be fooled.

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 07:41:12 am »

Offline ANTONK

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 06:54:25 pm »
Beverly - GOD knows what is right and what is wrong - Stay strong no matter what  :angel:

Offline johanpet1

• Amanzimtoti (SA)
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 10:35:23 am »
 :gl: :clap:

You are soo right that things will only get worse in SA

We have to make the choice - Immigrate now or run away from the masses later.  :help:

The choice should be easy.

Offline Alta van zyl

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 12:04:54 pm »
The whole process is a leap of faith!  Good luck on your decision

Offline PMDENEKE

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008, 11:58:12 pm »
strange about the police story, yet there are a lot of SA police officers in Howick, how did they get in. :confused:
and they have a police shortage. Even Helen Clark says they want to beef up the police service.
Why on earth are they making it so difficult :tickedoff:
expect good things

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 07:42:01 am »
Our little police station in Cambridge is only open office hours but now with so many people moving to this region it is going to be operational 24 hrs soon :heeha:

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 07:42:01 am »

Offline Alta van zyl

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 10:30:10 am »
You must have PR if you apply for a job at the police. 

Offline Willem

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 02:31:20 pm »
Beverly, don't loose faith all will workout in the end! Just try another avenue. :gl: