Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: a visit to women's outpatients  (Read 1158 times)

Offline paula

a visit to women's outpatients
« on: July 05, 2008, 03:33:38 am »
hi, just thought i would post about my trip to the hospital. i think we tend (i know i did) to wonder about how good the free medical care is... so we had our first exp last week when i had to go in for an amnio. and it was actually quite good (well, as good as something like that can be). we went in the wrong entrance and they are doing hectic upgrades to the hospital so i thought it was all a bit dodgy and was a bit worried, but once we found where to go and went in the right place it was really very good. no different really to a medicross /  private hospital (ok, only beent o hospital in els so not sure about pribate hospitals in jnb!!) but it was clean and well ordered and we didn't have to wait hours. we did have an appt, and were taken to the rooms and sorted out. it is a teaching hospital so had students observing the process but they were very polite and unobtusive. afterwards i was even made a cup of tea and offered a bed t lie on (i was a bit upset!!) and everyone was really good to me. they followed up 2 days later with the resuls and in all i was very impressed. and the whole thing didn't cost anything. so i am feeling quite happy with the medical care so far here...

Offline perasmu02

Re: a visit to women's outpatients
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 05:42:06 am »
Hi Paula,
Thank You for sharing, I am glad it was positive and your experience will influence other people hopefully in the right direction.
Anybody else with comments on the Hospitals ?

Regards
Pieter

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 05:42:06 am »

Offline Didi77

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 09:41:10 pm »
My daughter had to go have a tooth pulled last week

Hospital called me back 2 times
Follow-up afterwards to ask how she was doing
Really proffesional
Clean, ordered but not "hurried"
Free, free, free, free  :clap:

I was very impressed -  O0

Offline Schatzi

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 10:51:43 pm »
One for the ladies:  Luckily haven't had to go to hospital, but did have to get new scrip for my 'pills'.  Paid $22.50 for initial visit with a very nice and professional nurse and there after you can only get script - free.  Here is the best part; they gave me a 3 month trial for free, to make sure they don't make me  :'(:uglystupid2::crazy2: :crazy2: or  :knuppel2:, as I had to change brand...and thereafter it will be $3 for a 6 month supply!!!  In SA I paid R100 a month!!!

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 11:03:29 pm »
thanks for the feedback guys O0

Offline dance

• Certified Addict
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 09:30:11 pm »
A word of warning to the ladies WRT "pills". My daughter was put on Yasmin by her SA gynae to control her endometriosis. We went to see a doc here to get a new script but  it is not subsidised by the state. He was not willing to change to another one as it is not used for contraceptive purposes and did not want to mess with something that works. We ended up paying $65 for a 3 month supply. Check with your doc about which ones are subsidised and which not and consider changing if neccessary.
When life throws you a lemon - make lemonade!

Offline Saturn_Moon

• Certified Addict
  • Auckland, New Zealand
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 10:05:52 am »
Thanks guys for all this great info, especially about the 'pill'. I was starting to worry and wonder about that....

O0

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 10:05:52 am »