Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: What if your SA drivers license expired?  (Read 4933 times)

Offline Doreen

Re: What if your SA drivers license expired?
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2008, 09:29:12 pm »
What are we suppose to do? Walk to AA and ask a Kiwi license?

Offline Cameleon

• Certified Addict
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2008, 11:45:26 pm »
 ;D Yes, that's about it! From September onwards you can just do that, but if you do it before then, you'll have to write the theory test! You must just remember to take you're passport, proof of adress and you current SA license  O0 Oh, and the applicable fee, which I don't know how much it will be.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2008, 11:45:26 pm »

Offline Doreen

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2008, 11:37:43 pm »
Wow!!! :clap:
Mags have I ever told you you was the first one that said "welcome" to me on this forum? That's how I remember you... Now we are all here in NZ. Safe and sound, they say hey??

Offline Cameleon

• Certified Addict
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2008, 12:00:23 am »
I didn't realize!  :clap: It sounds like we should celebrate, and go and have a coffee (as soon as the kiddies are back in school)

Offline Doreen

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2008, 12:15:19 am »
Ons kan dit gerus doen. As ek met Doreen no2 (my gps wat se naam toe ook inderdaad Doreen is) tot by Freds kon kom, kan ek seker ook daar naby uitkom vir 'n koffie erens!! Sy vat my op plekke wat ek nooit weer by myself sal kan kry nie...
Nou die dag gaan kos koop by 'n foodtown. Weet tot nou toe nog nie waar die foodtown was nie!! Nogal 'n snaakse gevoel as jy so loop en lekker shop en net weet jy is erens in NZ  :o
Jy druk net, "huis toe, Doreen" as jy klaar geshop het. Dit het my seun natuurlik vir my moontlik gemaak om te druk... :blush:

Offline PMDENEKE

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2008, 12:48:24 am »
thats good news, I wrote  the learners and paid about $80,and had photos taken, and got my full licence in the post 2 weeks later.I had a full sa drivers, so it was easy.
I had 3 questons wrong.its just like a scratch and win card lol
expect good things

Offline Cameleon

• Certified Addict
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2008, 01:42:42 am »
Ons kan dit gerus doen. As ek met Doreen no2 (my gps wat se naam toe ook inderdaad Doreen is) tot by Freds kon kom, kan ek seker ook daar naby uitkom vir 'n koffie erens!! Sy vat my op plekke wat ek nooit weer by myself sal kan kry nie...
Nou die dag gaan kos koop by 'n foodtown. Weet tot nou toe nog nie waar die foodtown was nie!! Nogal 'n snaakse gevoel as jy so loop en lekker shop en net weet jy is erens in NZ  :o
Jy druk net, "huis toe, Doreen" as jy klaar geshop het. Dit het my seun natuurlik vir my moontlik gemaak om te druk... :blush:

As jy tot by Fred's kan kom is dit ook reg, want ek kan Fred's van my deck af sien... Ek hoor in elk geval van 'n local daai Chocolate Earth Cafe'tjie (langs Fred), maak die lekkerste chocolate koek in die hele NZ  :whistle:

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2008, 01:42:42 am »

Offline !!DV!!

• The Venter
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2008, 01:55:49 am »
So van Fred gepraat, hoe is hulle melkterte?

Het nou al daar wors gekoop maar nog nie die Melktert probeer nie  ???

Ek wil graag my Kiwi Lisensie kry maar ek het nou nie meer my paspoort by my nie lê by immigrasie op die oomlik, sal ek nog die toest kan skryf?

Offline Cameleon

• Certified Addict
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2008, 02:19:16 am »
Ek hoor hulle melktert is OK. Ek het dit self nie geproe nie. Myne proe nie te shabby nie..  :blush:
Jy het jou paspoort nodig sodat hulle kan verifieer wanneer jy die land binnegekom het. So, wag maar tot jy jou paspoort terugkry. Hoekom wil jy nou jou lisensie oorskakel? Verval joune voor September? As jy wag tot September hoef jy nie die teorie toets te skryf nie.

Offline !!DV!!

• The Venter
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2008, 02:24:04 am »
Thanks Mags  :P

Sal maar by Freds `n draai gaan maak, my vrou is nog nie hier nie, so ek moet maar koop as ek wil he..

My lisensie verval eers erens in 2010 as ek reg onthou, is sommer verveeld terwyl ek wag vir my WP  ::)

Offline Doreen

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2008, 09:24:50 am »
As jy so verveeld is moet jy maar more saam gaan rugby kyk by O'Hagans Pub & Grill waar die mense more gaan bymekaar kom!! :)

Mags, dis 'n date, daai Sjokolade Koek en Koffie!! O0

Offline Cameleon

• Certified Addict
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2008, 10:14:22 am »
Mags, dis 'n date, daai Sjokolade Koek en Koffie!! O0
O0

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2008, 10:14:22 am »

Offline Cameleon

• Certified Addict
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2008, 08:53:20 am »
Well, I received my passport back from Immigration on Wednesday, and went to write this morning. The fee is $84, and the test is a scratch test, and not too difficult. You receive a temporary license immediately and they post your permanent one!

I hit a snag with the eye test. They have one of these eye testing-machines on the desk, and apparently there are three columns with letters. Well, I could only see two columns. The queue behind me was getting longer and I felt quite the fool. Feeling quite flustered, the lady said that I should just do the test, and go to an optometrist for a basic screening. Did the test and passed (I was so shaken with the eye test, and was so relieved that I remembered all the rules  :blush:). Walked into an optometrist waiting room, without an appointment, and they said, "you'll just have to wait a couple of minutes". The optometrist said that it was quite common that people do not see the third column. 15 minutes later I left with a report stating all is well! The cost was only $20

:clap: I'm a legal driver again!!  :clap:

Thought I'd post this (awful) experience, so those of you that still need to go, and hit this snag - don't worry, it'll work out  O0

Offline noodles mom

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2008, 09:09:34 am »
oh dear - i am practically "blind" even wearing contact lenses (i have strange condition contracted when i had the laser operation many years ago...) and always fear eye tests....
anybody know if i would have to do one ?  i will just need to convert my SA licence when i get there in Sept...
 :help: :help: :help:
thanks
R
PS - congrats Mags on being legal again  :clap: :clap: :clap:

EOI submitted 14 Jan 2009
EOI selected 14 Jan 2009
ITA received 27 Mar 2009
ITA submitted 20 Jul 2009
PR APPROVED 2 Feb 2010

Offline Cameleon

• Certified Addict
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2008, 09:34:27 am »
Hi noodles mom, Thanx, it's good to be legal again!  O0

I suspect that the eye test will stay compulsory! My advice would be to see an optometrist first and get the basic screening, as it is much more relaxed, and you can guess a couple of times more  :whistle: . Ask the optometrist for a "basic test DL-12, for a drivers license". Then you just take the report along, when you go to convert your license!

I dreaded the eye test myself, as I always struggle....