Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Experiences at NZ hospitals  (Read 3591 times)

Offline Feather

• Resident
  • Heather - Kaiapoi, Christchurch
Experiences at NZ hospitals
« on: July 09, 2008, 03:43:43 am »
I have recently had the misfortune to rush children to the A&E.  One in Mosgiel the week before we left for Chch. My little one fell at home hit his chin on the coffee table.  We didn't know that the Dr's rooms were open till 5:30pm, so we rushed off the our nearest A&E, they didn't hesitate to see him.  The Dr was very good with the little one (4 Years old).  The nurse was great.  :clap: and we didn't have to wait a long period of time to see the Dr.
Last week Wed we had to rush our eldest off to A&E, mostly because we hadn't had a chance to register with the Dr's in Chch.  He had blood in his urine.  We were the only one's at the A&E.  The male nurse called us through about 3 minutes after we arrived.  He was very good with Chad, spoke him through every thing that he was going to do.  The Dr was very good.  Also spoke Chad through everything. 
Over all I was impressed with the system.
We have no registered with the nearest Medical centre to us. From the looks of it we have found a really good Dr.

Offline Saturn_Moon

• Certified Addict
  • Auckland, New Zealand
Re: Experiences at NZ hospitals
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 10:00:04 am »
Thanks for that bit of info Heather.

My OH and I will eventually be in Chch (if we come without jobs) so this is really nice to know.

O0

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 10:00:04 am »

Offline Didi77

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 12:06:08 pm »
I am very impressed whith what I have seen....

Can I ask what was the cause of the blood in U?  Is he ok?

Offline ScillaGP

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 06:16:48 am »
My sister arrived on the 29.07,she was swollen which we put down to the long flight. However the swelling did not disapear and on friday she was in agonising pain and her feet were turning blue. Sat morning she went to the GP who told her to go directly to the hospital as he supected deep vein thrombosis and if so she was lucky to be alive. She went to A&E where they scanned her and preformed blood test which confirmed the GP suspicsions, because of the swelling they could not locate the clot.They immediately put her on warferin injections twice a day and told her to return on Monday 18.08 for another scan. Thank God the clot has disolved and the swelling is subsiding. Thank you Auckland Hospital for saving my sisters life. warning guys don't take the chance of developing this life threatning condition, see your GP before you fly and get the appropriate preventative treatment.

ONE VERY HAPPY SISTER

Offline jafa77

• Certified Addict
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 06:31:21 am »
I am preaching to myself here (cause I dont do it) but try to walk around the plane at least once every hour or two, just to keep the blood circulating. And do exercises in your seat too.

Offline Bevmac

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 07:10:16 am »
Gosh Scilla, glad to hear your sis is on the mend  ;)

What actually causes this condition?

Offline perasmu02

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 07:52:45 am »
Happy to hear,
The best is to take 1 disprin the night before flying and two normal strength just before flying. It also helps with the swelling.
Regards
Pieter

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 07:52:45 am »

Offline ScillaGP

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 08:10:58 am »
It is caused from not moving enough during flights, like jafa explained, the blood clots and it can be fatal. Perasmu02 they all took desperin and she still got it. She might just have been a high risk. I am not taking any chances I will be getting medication from my GP here and taking it for a week before we fly. It is a very long flight.

Offline jafa77

• Certified Addict
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 08:12:50 am »
some people are more at risk than others......sit in the aisle seat and get up and walk round as much as possible if you can.

Offline Alta van zyl

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 09:47:18 am »
I believe in disprins when ever we take a long drive or flight.  The aspirin thins your blood and help to prevent blood clots.  What a relieve your sister is fine. 

Offline ScillaGP

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 10:04:09 am »
So are we glad. Thank goodness

Offline soniag

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2008, 10:12:04 am »
I had to fly when I was around 7 months preganant with our youngest.  I was given meds to prevent deep vein trombosis, and had to start taking them about 2 days before the flight.  Everything went honkey dory, and will get them for me and hubby again when we come over next year.

Its a very serious contidion as already said, and just moving your feet and anckles in circles while on the flight every now and then will help.
You cannot control what life brings your way. But what you do with it is up to you.

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2008, 10:12:04 am »

Offline Amber

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2008, 10:34:03 pm »
OMG Scilla that was a close call!  Glad your sister is ok.  In the in-flight mag there are usually excersises one can do to help circulation.  When we flew on emirates I made sure we all walked around at every stop.  The kids were constantly up and down on the plane anyway but it is a longgggggg flight so keep that blood moving, avoid alcahol and drink lots of water - dehydration can also be a prob.
Amber
Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe

Offline ScillaGP

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2008, 06:37:42 am »
Thanks for the advice Amber

Offline Feather

• Resident
  • Heather - Kaiapoi, Christchurch
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2009, 08:41:07 am »
I know this is an old topic, but, I thought I would tell you all about my experience last night at Chch's Bealey Ave 24hr Emergency Surgery (rooms).
My eldest son had to be taken to A&E at about 7:30pm with breathing problems.  He was breathing very fast, sounded like a race horse.   And his heart was racing just as fast, he had an elevated temperature.  DH rushed him to A&E.  Then phoned me about 1 1/2hours later with an update.  Which sent me rushing out of the house, leaving El and her DH to look after my youngest. When my DH told me that DS had to go for Observation I had terrible visions of him being hooked up to all sorts of machines.  Boy was  :sweat: 
When I got there they were just getting ready to take in to the Observation Unit. I was very pleasantly surprised by what I experienced last night.  The staff handed over every 7 hours, so I saw about 3 different Dr's.  The unit has a dedicated nurse, also changes every 7 hrs.  We stayed there over night, they checked his oxygen saturation every hour, started him on antibiotics.  We had been told that his oxygen saturation was extremely low and that it had to be 98-99% before they would discharge him.  By the morning there was a slight improvement, he stayed on till midday.  The morning shift Dr suspects that he is in the very early stages of Pneumonia.  He was discharged to be managed at home.
Despite the diagnosis, my experience was very pleasant.  All the staff up me at ease every step of the way.