Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Experiences at NZ hospitals  (Read 3590 times)

Offline ryanrich

Re: Experiences at NZ hospitals
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2009, 09:09:32 am »
No - kidney stones are made up of uric acid crystals and under a microscope look like little spiked things so the latch onto the sides and hurt like hell most of these are small enough to pass through the urethra but some can cause blokages. the crystal is then usually bombarded with a lazer to break it into smaller particals so they can then pass.
Your DS must have a high uric acid content in her urine and needs to adress the cause of that.
(more beer is sometimes good to flush the system  >:D )

Yup, usually they're small enough but 7mm is very big. They lasered it into 3 smaller pieces and then caught it in a basket and pulled it out. All of this done by going up my pipes which wasn't pleasant at all, and when I went to the bathroom afterwards about 500ml of blood came out. They also left a stent inside which had to be removed a week later. Since that experience I've been eating healthy and drinking a lot of water each day, as it's an experience I definitely wouldn't like to relive... ;)

Offline Feather

• Resident
  • Heather - Kaiapoi, Christchurch
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2009, 09:17:14 am »
With my DH's sister-in-law having had a gastric by-pass we are left wondering what causes it.  She is supposed to eat healthy, but one has to wonder.  Don't know if she drinks a lot of water or not.

By the way Marcia my DS is my Darling Son. :whistle:

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2009, 09:17:14 am »

Offline ryanrich

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2009, 09:20:02 am »
With my DH's sister-in-law having had a gastric by-pass we are left wondering what causes it.  She is supposed to eat healthy, but one has to wonder.  Don't know if she drinks a lot of water or not.

By the way Marcia my DS is my Darling Son. :whistle:

Could be a case of too much calcium in her diet, her inability to break down sugars properly. Too many drinks like tea, coffee or fruit juice and too little water. Also, she may just be susceptible to them, in which case lots of fruit and veg is also recommended.

One guy who was in hospital with me gets them no matter what, and has had 40 in his life! :o

Offline Saturn_Moon

• Certified Addict
  • Auckland, New Zealand
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2009, 09:58:42 am »
My oldest brother has suffered severely (I have seen him in the worst of pain) from kidney stones and had to also have them removed. From his experience, it is believed that the reason why he gets them is because of the amount of medication he has to drink - he has always been easy to fall ill and he has been on chronic medication for high blood pressure for a couple of years now.

I hope I never have to go through that - after the amount of pain I watched my brother go through... ouch!

Offline ryanrich

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2009, 10:22:22 am »
Yeah it's really bad. I was laying on the floor of my apartment in NZ with an ice pack by my kidneys, but after 30 minutes I couldn't take it anymore so I called a taxi. I then had to stumble out and draw money at an ATM to pay the fare, and then find my way to the emergency room. 20 minutes later I was flying high on morphine and on cloud 9 though, aah good times... ;D

Offline Durbschick1

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2009, 09:27:10 pm »
We where lucky enough to find a SA'n Dr !!!! Very happy!!!  :clap:

Offline tmprince

• Certified Addict
  • Auckland New Zealand
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2009, 09:41:52 pm »
I always laugh at men when they get a stone , sweetie thats a 7mm stone through your kidney try a 3.750 kg baby through every where else  >:D
I maintain women should not hold there husbands hand during labour they should hold his CAHONIES so he can also feel what its like  >:D

but jokes aside I know its as painful as hell so I hope you are better soon
Lovies
Marcia
EOI submitted   13-01-09
EOI selected     28-01-09
ITA recieved     09-02-09
ITA submitted   24-06-09
ITA lodged       26-06-09
CO assigned     28-09-09
WTR approved  14-05-2010
Arrived 01-07-2010
PR March 2011
5 YEARS TODAY 01-07-2015

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2009, 09:41:52 pm »

Offline Feather

• Resident
  • Heather - Kaiapoi, Christchurch
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2009, 11:07:55 pm »
My son is on the mend, won't be back at school till Monday, got some homework from his teachers this morning.
Marcia, I don't have a kidney stone, my sister-in-law had been battling with them a few years ago.  Think she is over that now.

Offline Werner

« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2009, 01:27:35 am »
 :2funny:I agree Marcia.  My 1st child weighted 3.5 and was 62cm long (longest baby recorded for the year in the hospital I gave birth in).  So whenever I boasted that "I gave birth to 3 kids with no anaesthetic" my supervisor (male of course) would say "Yeah, it's easy to give brith to spagehetti"  :knuppel2:
Job Offer Rec 17/11/08
EOI Selected 19/11/08
ITA Rec 13/12/08
ITA Submitted 06/01/09
PR Granted 05/03/09

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2009, 12:05:14 am »