Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Crime - what crime?  (Read 3885 times)

Offline Hopeful

• Auckland, NZ
Crime - what crime?
« on: July 10, 2008, 01:30:09 pm »
I just read that thread about that Dr Idiot from America that says we should be victors and stay in SA and make it a wonderful place, blah, blah, blah. Of course he has to say that, that's how he makes his money off people who are too poor/scared/in denial to emigrate. He makes me mad. Of course Oprah and Richard Branson invested here - they don't have to live here.

There was a report on Carte Blanche on Sunday about crime in SA and how it's out of control and they showed an area in Gauteng where crime is 0%. Amazing I hear you say, impossible. They have CCTV cameras on every street corner and armed cars in huge bakkies driving around questioning anybody that looks suspicious. They even showed a clip of the CCTV footage where some guys tried to hijack someone in their driveway - a few seconds later the guards showed up and stopped them - brilliant. Only thing is, it costs R1000 a month from every household in the area. So, moral of the story - if you're rich then you can live in SA (or be rich and just invest in SA). I don't have money for security like that or for private schools for my 3 kids. I just don't. So, I'll be willing to pay more for housing in NZ, because I'll have no worries about my safety.

For those in NZ, can you still remember the feeling of being unsafe in your own house? We've done renovations on our house and haven't put the back-door safety-gate on yet. I wanted to leave my back-door open for some fresh air today and I managed to leave it open for a minute, before my nerve gave in and I closed it again. It sucks being locked in your house all day. That is something I hope to be rid of once I'm in NZ.

About 4 years ago, when I was 8 months pregnant with my 2nd child, we visited my parents at their place with a few friends. They lived on a corner plot with the front-door on one side and the driveway on the other. When we all left, we went through the front-door and my dad went through the garage. We drove happily home and put our son in bed who had fallen asleep in the car. Next thing we get a phone call from my dad who says "Phone the police - we've been robbed and tied up". I'm crying remembering how that felt. My husband got such a fright he couldn't remember what the flying-squad number was. I shouted the number to him and then looked up my parent's next-door neighbour's number and phoned them to ask him to go over with his huge dog. Luckily the police arrived quickly - no really they did.

What had happened was, as soon as we'd left that night, my dad and mum went back though the garage and then my mum remembered that she'd left the front door open. Off she went to lock it and then there they were, 3  :censored: with guns. Instead of running to the panic button, she ran to my dad. So they were tied up with one guarding them while the other 2 raided the house. They told my mum not to worry they wouldn't rape her. My dad gave them the keys to his Landrover, but they said they didn't want c**p - he was most upset about that! When they left, my dad managed to press the redial button on the phone (his hands were still tied) which luckily was our number. My mum just kept saying that she was so glad that we weren't there with our little boy and me being pregnant. How would a 4-year old have handled being tied up and having a gun held to his head? When the police arrived they said and I quote "You (my parents) should consider yourselves lucky that it was coloured guys and not black guys that broke in, because then you probably would have been raped and then killed!" Can you believe a policeman said that!! You have to be picky about which race group attacks you! It's just so scary to think that these people are watching your every move - they probably wanted to hijack one of our cars, but there were too many people outside at once, so they decided to rob the house instead.

My parents sold their house after that and moved to a nice flat in a security complex with views of the mountain. That was too big an adjustment to move from a big house to a small flat, so they moved to a house in a complex. My mum still pulls her dressing table in front of her bedroom door at night when my dad's away. She locks herself in and stays awake for as long as possible watching DSTV.

I refuse to live like that. Anyone who says stay here and fight for the country just doesn't have a clue what it's like to be afraid. Where I am at the moment I'm still lucky - my kids play in the street and ride their bikes - no-one has walls around the front of their properties and everyone knows everyone. But for how much longer? The criminals are there and they are watching and waiting. Well, I'll be outta here soon, so they can watch as long as they want. I will miss SA - if it wasn't for the crime and the politicians I would stay here - it would be great.

So for those still in 2 minds about leaving, ask yourself this - do you feel scared? If not, then you're lucky or rich, so you don't need to leave. Otherwise, I don't see any reason to stay - life has to be better than this. So make a plan and make your life better. That's what I'm doing.

I think I went on a bit in this post - sorry - it's quite long - but that's what you're here for. To listen and support - I think most of you know what I'm talking about.

Thanks for listening!  ;)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 01:35:43 pm by Hopeful »

tandl

Re: Crime - what crime?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 01:44:03 pm »
Thats for that Hopeful.  I think we all feel the same.  Terrible about what happened to your folks.  :thumbdown:

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 01:44:03 pm »

Offline johanpet1

• Amanzimtoti (SA)
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 02:40:05 pm »
Bad experience that your folks had - it is so sad  :thumbdown:

Just glad that they were not raped or killed.

We just have to get out of SA :tickedoff:

Offline Hopeful

• Auckland, NZ
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 04:20:09 pm »
Yip - can't agree more!

You know it's a South African speaking when you say, luckily they/we weren't killed or raped.  :D

That's because we have to be grateful for that. Fact of life in SA. Can't take safety or life for granted here. You have to say thank you every time you get home and you haven't been burgled/attacked/hijacked.

It's not a question of 'if' you will be a victim of crime, but 'when'.  :cursing:

What do they say, denial is a river in Egypt!!  ;D

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
    • Oosthuizen family in NZ
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 07:16:32 pm »
Hi Hopeful, I am happy that your parents are ok. I'm in NZ and I know some people are going to climb down my throught for this but I was one of the "lucky" one's. Crime never touched me in a sense where I was shot at or held at gun point, or hijacked or attempted hijacked. None of my houses that I lived in were ever broken into. The only thing that happend to me was a car was broken into and radio an tapes were stolen and that was if I'm not mistaken in +- 1991. All that time and that from 1986 till July 2007 did I stay in the greater JHB area. My wife got attempted hijacked about 4 or 5 times and handbagged snatched and stuff like that. But never me, so I cannot tell you that my reason for leaving was crime, because I would lie if I did. But I could see that my boys would not have a future in SA. And that to me was/is my motivator.
Hurry up with your things, NZ is waiting. Not crime free, but relatively safer to SA.
Cheers, SAKB.
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
18/07/2007-Selected from the Pool
07/03/2008-Receive ITA
15/05/2008-ITA Submitted-(hou duim vas)
11/12/2008-PR GRANTED-(thanx a lot!!!)

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 10:58:03 pm »
It is all good and well to pay R1000 a month to have CCTV etc. all around your neighbourhood to keep you safe, but what about when you leave the safety of your enclosed area, then you are "fair game", just like the rest. That is not the answer to SA's problem unfortunately.

The answer is a change in government, not back to the old one either, but to one that
a) gives the rights back to it's citizens and takes it away from the criminals, b) one that doesn't take from Peter to give to Paul, but teaches Peter and Paul to create jobs
c) one that doesn't open its borders to every criminal Tom, Dick and Harry
d) I could go on, but it will take me a week to complete this.....

Offline kol1974

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 02:45:18 am »
And then we still have our loved ones who stayed behind in crime-central SA to worry about.  It's sooooo difficult to make them see that there is a different way of living.  We just want to shake them and say WAKE UP!!!

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 02:45:18 am »

Offline Saturn_Moon

• Certified Addict
  • Auckland, New Zealand
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 06:02:04 am »
Thanks Hopeful for your post and I'm so sorry about what happened to your parents.

I hope we can all get out of this beautiful but messed up country (  :'( ) as soon as possible and we can hopefully bring our loved ones with us one day  :'(

Offline johanpet1

• Amanzimtoti (SA)
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 06:24:03 am »
The sad part is when you get knocked by the ones you love and care for, for wanting to leave and not stick around to help make SA a "Land of oppertunities"
The got cross when we told them that the only oppertunities left is to learn how to steal and cheat.
We were also not appreciated when we asked them why there are so many joggers in SA - Because they have to get for fit to run when the poo hit the fan.

Offline paula

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 07:32:37 am »
i think we need to respect everyones decision wether it is to stay or to go. i for one agree with the sentiment that it's not a case of if but when (a close friend of mines DH was shot and killed in his driveway in front of her not even a year after getting married) so for me it was rather close. didn't want DD to grow up like that. and although bad things happen all over the world and for all sorts of reasons, i wanted to live in a country where it still made the news and you didn't say things like "oh well, it happened to so and so and they got over it..." but then you still have people in sa to worry about so in teh end just do what is best for you. thats all you can do. good luck to those still in sa.... stay safe...

Offline Paperdoll

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 01:19:48 pm »
Hi All

Interesting post this is.  This is exactly what DH and I were talking about last night.  Our family are just not taking us serious when we say we are packing up to go to NZ.  "Oh yea, tell us another one",  "you'll never leave", "it's just talk".  So, we have decided to leave it at that and just continue with our plans.  Perhaps when they actually see my business sold (oh me gosh, I'll be unemployed - scary stuff!) and our townhouse sold (they know how much we love it) - then maybe they'll take serious note of our plans.

And yes I can certainly share in the worries of everyone about their families left behind.  We are also going to worry, especially about our aged parents.  It probably will be impossible to "import" them later as their ages are really against them.  So I just hope they will be safe for the remainder of their time in SA.

Offline Smallfly

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 02:18:14 pm »
We were also not appreciated when we asked them why there are so many joggers in SA - Because they have to get for fit to run when the poo hit the fan.

Versigtig nou Boet !

There are some Comrades veterans on this site !
Never look down upon someone, unless you are helping him up.

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 02:18:14 pm »

Offline Smallfly

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2008, 02:30:10 pm »
Hi Hopefull, I think we all feel the same way,

and as for the nay sayers, they are probably closet imigrants.

It was interresting how many of the sceptics called me

for info on taking the chicken run when the others where not around !

I was watching e-news one night about a month ago,

and the report was about the high amount of propperties in the market,

forcing the prices down, and the comment of the newsreader was;

"poeple are selling their homes and running from this country !"

The doctor who did our medicals called it a tsunami of people emigrating.

So my comment for the "stay and fight" clan is "you can have it all".

My advice to you is  RUN !!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 02:33:23 pm by Smallfly »
Never look down upon someone, unless you are helping him up.

Offline noodles mom

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2008, 07:48:31 pm »
i agree with smallfly 100% !!

EOI submitted 14 Jan 2009
EOI selected 14 Jan 2009
ITA received 27 Mar 2009
ITA submitted 20 Jul 2009
PR APPROVED 2 Feb 2010

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2008, 02:06:54 pm »
As with SaKiwiBoer, we left before things got really bad like they are now.  10 years ago, when we left, we'd never had guns to our heads, or been hi-jacked or burgled.  But we did look at our future, and even then we thought there wasn't much of one for our kids (who weren't born yet).  Neither was the hope of Jan really getting ahead in his career.  So we left.... but it was only 6 months after leaving that I realized how much I had lived in fear in SA before. 
I was 7 months pregnant with our first, and my husband was working 4 hours away in Dallas.  I was alone, vulnerable and went across the road at 8pm when the winter night was dark.  On my way back to our flat, it suddenly hit me that I had no fear.  No fear of being attacked in the dark or raped or anything.  There were no dark human shadows lurking under a tree watching my every move.  Then I realized that even though the crime had not touched me in the physical way, so many of you have experienced, it had still touched me psychologically.  IT was then that I decided that as much as I love my home country, I will never go back to live in that fear-full place unless the whole government was turned inside out, and crime was brought to it's knees.

But as Paula said, we do need to respect other's views.  I have friends in SA, who believe that that is where God wants them, and I do firmly believe that there is no safer place in this world, than being in the middle of God's will.  And so I pray for them whenever I think of them, knowing that they are doing something God has called them to.  I also know that the only other reason I'd ever go back to SA, is if God very specifically told me to.  At this point, I know I'm where God wants me for now.  And I'm content - even if life is more expensive here than in the USA!  ;)
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen