Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Maternity policies  (Read 3302 times)

Offline nazmahomed

Re: Maternity policies
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2008, 06:59:28 am »
Thanks everyone for your well wishes. You guys better be careful what you offer coz I might just take some of you up on the offer to babysit and then youre really gonna be in trouble..... he he he

I think my post was a bit of a whinge (if I do say so myself). Im still coming to terms with this pregnancy and the way things are done here, but I am sure it wont all seem so bad in a few weeks, months, years??? time.

And thanks for the welcome back Nolan. I do pop in sometimes, but there are so many posts to read that I never quite end up posting anything of my own. This time I couldnt resist >:D

I have been doing really well. I have my first appointment with a midwife in a week's time. Still have to get used to not seeing an actual doctor during pregnancy, but that seems to be the way of it here.
"never let the fear of striking out,keep you from playing the game"

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2008, 10:07:48 am »
Congrats Naz - nice to see you back :clap:

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2008, 10:07:48 am »

Offline Hopeful

• Auckland, NZ
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2009, 07:59:33 pm »
A good sonar operator should be able to have a fairly good idea at about 13 weeks - my OB was right about my daughter at 12 wks 5 days, but she did make it clear that it wasn't 100%, but it was 100% confirmed at 15 wks.  In SA with a gynae, most people have a scan with every visit, but in some countries you only get a dating scan at 8wks and then the 21 wk scan. That's because of the different way of handling pregnancy care in those countries, but also sometimes because many women will abort if they know they're having a girl...  :confused:

Lea

« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2009, 01:50:48 am »
A good sonar operator should be able to have a fairly good idea at about 13 weeks - my OB was right about my daughter at 12 wks 5 days, but she did make it clear that it wasn't 100%, but it was 100% confirmed at 15 wks.  In SA with a gynae, most people have a scan with every visit, but in some countries you only get a dating scan at 8wks and then the 21 wk scan. That's because of the different way of handling pregnancy care in those countries, but also sometimes because many women will abort if they know they're having a girl...  :confused:

They only do 2 scans here in NZ if you are not with private health care.  And so the 20 week one is where they might be able to tell you the gender.  I'm not sure how it works with private health care.

Offline Feather

• Resident
  • Heather - Kaiapoi, Christchurch
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2009, 02:43:29 am »
I can't understand how any one could abort a baby if they know it's a girl  :-\ :-X
I would have loved to have a girl.  God blessed me with two fantastic little boys, don't know what life would be like if I had decided to abort either one of them :'(

Offline Hopeful

• Auckland, NZ
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2009, 03:36:11 pm »
Aborting baby girls has become a problem in the UK, with many Middle Eastern immigrants believing that they have to have a boy. Many doctors will actually do the scan, see the sex of the baby and then not tell the parents for that very reason. I had 2 boys and then we took a chance because we really wanted a girl too and so we had a 3rd baby and it was a girl. Best chance I ever took!  :smitten: Don't think I would have tried a 4th time though!  :heeha:

Offline tmprince

• Certified Addict
  • Auckland New Zealand
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2009, 11:10:51 pm »
the restriction on births in China was forced population control by the gov. but has now backfired as the ratio of men to women is severly messed up and Chinese men leave China to find Chinese wives in other countries. India is another country that practices infantacide of female babies and this more because of dowary expense.
I often wonder if the powers that be in different countries ever really think of the concequences before the put pen to paper?
Lovies
Marcia
EOI submitted   13-01-09
EOI selected     28-01-09
ITA recieved     09-02-09
ITA submitted   24-06-09
ITA lodged       26-06-09
CO assigned     28-09-09
WTR approved  14-05-2010
Arrived 01-07-2010
PR March 2011
5 YEARS TODAY 01-07-2015