Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Howzit from TX, USA  (Read 2855 times)

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
Howzit from TX, USA
« on: October 21, 2006, 04:31:20 am »
Hi,  just learned about this site from another SACanada member but through a different forum.
Decided to come check it out.

Currently living in TX, but originally also from Tvl (Centurion area). 
I have 2 sisters and their families in NZ already, and moving there ourselves has been an idea we've had on and off for about 13 years.   ::)

Nice to meet you Nolan.  Seems I'm the only other member here so far.  And so far looks like a great website. 
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
Re: Howzit from TX, USA
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 08:07:46 am »
Hi Zatexnz

Welcome here. Yes you are the first member, our site has only launched today.

I'm sure that this site will get busier as folks get to know about it. Word of mouth is always the best form of advertising  :smiley6600:

We hope to help as many SA'ns as possible get to NZ.

Here is a bottle of champagne for you as your prize for joining first :

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 08:07:46 am »

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 10:52:50 pm »
thanks for the bubbly, Nolan, will enjoy it after the kids are in bed tonight! ;D
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 07:54:24 am »
Hope you didn't over do it with the bubbly last night and have a hang over today  :laugh:

I presume you are moving over to be closer to the family?

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 04:27:11 pm »
Nolan, our situation is as follows: 
We've been waiting for 5 years now in the US just for Labour Certification, which is phase 1 of the "Green Card" or Permanent Residency procedure.  THis place has enough red tape to make one cry.  Any way, the laws were such that if you didn't have your GC after 6 years, you'd have to leave, stay out for a year, come back and start again.  Then Pres. Bush changed that in 2002, so that if you had at least started the application before the end of your 5th year, you could then apply for annual extention of your temporary work visa after the 6th year.  In September this year our work visa expired.  Now in August we sent in the application for renewal (our 3rd annual renewal).  At this time, my husband asked his employer if they would be willing to support us for filing a whole new application for GC under the new faster electronic system, and they said no, they're not in the "business of importing skills", so it would be best if my husband found another cpy (preferrably one of the big IT cpy's) that is more experienced in immigration processes, and who would be willing to sponsor us.  They did however graciously pay for the renewal of our temporary visa, so we are still legal here until Sept 2007.   Most cpy's though, want you to work for them for a year to 18 months before they will even consider sponsoring a GC.  And of course we no longer have a year left.   Our first option is to pray that his employer (of 6 years) will come to their senses and realise his true worth in their cpy, and reverse their decision.  In which case we could have phase 1 and 2 approved before Sept 2007 (under new system).  But if this doesn't work out, and we are not able to find another cpy that will sponsor us before the cut-off date, then our next option is to move to NZ.  And yes, the main reason would be to be closer to my family.  My hubby also has a close cousin there.

I have joined this board to get more of a feel for what it may cost us (not just $, but emotionally, etc.), to move and do the whole culture change thing AGAIN.  It really is a far more huge decision to make this time round, as we now have two children (7 and 5), and we have established life insurance policies and other investments here, and we not sure whether we would have to have our policies paid out or stopped, and whether to pull investments, or whether we can keep all that running on this end while living in another country.  My husband is over 40 already, and I'm nearing that benchmark myself, so re-investing in life-insurance and retirements becomes rather costly. 

We know that IT positions are one the sort after skills in NZ, but one of my husband's reservations about moving to NZ is that it is a small economy, and there's not that much choice as to where to find work in his field, with the same level of income as here.  There's probably just Auckland and surrounding area and Wellington (we're not interested in South Island as a destination to live).  I know there are other cities, but one is not sure what IT opportunities there are.  For me personally, I'm not so concerned with the money issue, as my hubby is.  For me, it's a case of we've settled really nicely here with a great church (which took us YEARS to find), great group of friends made, which takes a while in a new country, and so I'm weighing the issue of whether it's worth it giving up the friends we've made here AGAIN (we had to do that in SA already), and starting from scratch again, with looking for a church, schools for the kids, and making friends again.

Ultimately, it's what is God's will, that really matters.  And so we're praying that He will show us clearly.  In the mean time, it does no harm to check out the process of moving to NZ and perhaps getting some ducks in a row, should this turn out to be the route we need to take. ::)  As you can imagine, the immigration process for us has been a rather stressful one!

BTW, I overdosed on Milo instead!  :D
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 09:31:37 pm »
Zatexnz, I am a strong believer in "Things happen for a reason".

If you are meant to be in the US, then it will work out. If you guys are meant to be in NZ, then try as you will to stay in the US, things just won't work out that way.

Keep up the research, the worst that can come out if it is you make some new friends  :)
but also keep trying for your residency that side. The correct choice will choose itself.

We're here for you guys either way.

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 03:21:18 am »
Thnx Nolan!
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 03:21:18 am »

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 07:35:32 pm »
Thought I'd show you my kids...

Joshua who is 7

and Heidi who is 5
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 04:59:22 pm by zatexnz »
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2006, 08:19:27 pm »
Looks like Joshua can keep you guys well busy  :crazy2:

Beautiful kids zatexnz

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2006, 08:24:48 pm »
They both do!!! My friend in SA who looked after them for a day last year, when I had to go sort out my passport at the consulate, called Heidi a "rissipit".  Temperament goes with the red hair I think!   Need to keep the discipline in line!  :knuppel2: ;D
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline chantel

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2006, 12:28:06 pm »
lovely kids!!
keeps you out of trouble ;)

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2006, 05:03:44 pm »
Hmmm..  dunno... I've found I get angry with them a lot quicker than I ever thought... parenting brings out the best but also the worst in you! :-\
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2006, 05:03:44 pm »

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2007, 05:18:48 am »
These were taken today.  We were taking pics for the church directory, and took these for ourselves while at it.

Heidi with her Daddy

Joshua looking cool

lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
  • NZ, now Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2007, 05:37:24 am »
Colleen, you have a lovely, freindly looking family! ;)

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2007, 06:19:39 am »
Thnx Linda!
Yes, sometimes too friendly!  I have had my days trying to explain to Heidi that one doesn't give out your personal info to strangers.  That somebody walking their dog in the street and who is friendly, doesn't mean they're safe.  Of course in SA, I would never have that problem, because there you cannot trust anybody justabout!  But here in Texas, everybody is so friendly, and people are especially geared to taking note of children, so that strangers will comment in the store, "what pretty red hair you have", and start a conversation, asking the child's name, etc.  And of course, Heidi was SO proud that she knew our home phone number!  ::)
But yes, they're friendly, and love dealing out hugs to all our friends!  :)
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen