Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Tax clearance  (Read 4384 times)

Offline soniag

Re: Tax clearance
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2008, 08:45:27 pm »
Ja toemaar....we were also late bloomers...late with everthing...But we'll show them a thing or too in NZ hey Tandl.... :whistle:
You cannot control what life brings your way. But what you do with it is up to you.

Offline Johan01

• Certified Addict
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2008, 09:11:28 pm »
One thing you must remember that R1 does not equal $1 .... and if you come to NZ you still tend to think in SA money. Paying 50 for a toy for the kids ... not to bad sound very cheap ... so it's easy to diash it out. Actually you had to convert around R290 to get $50 but at the heat of the moment that thouht is not close to hand .. and before you wiped the %&^% out your eyes you spend the money. Touring around doesnot help much either to your budget. At $180 a night for a motel ... or rather R1044 ... buy buy buy budget ... and then as Kiwiboer said some get a job quick and some take longer. If you have a job lined up got the offer etc. yes then you can go on a lot less money. If you don't have a job in place and you are going job hunting that's where the night mare starts. It take a few months of earning money to get into the Kiwi Dollar budgeting thing.

What you can live off per month also depends on your lifestyle and how you want to life. I fyou had a life of luxuries in SA nice BMW nice 4x4 big house, braai every so often and things like that ... you will still want to do that, BUT in NZ on the salary you're gonna get it might not be realistic. But old habits die hard, and adjusting is gonna take time.

Down to the bottom for thoose coming and trying it on the minimum .. yes you can do it but you have to be prepared "mentally" to go through with it, you need to change your whole approach to life, and this is hard to do. As an Immigrant you will not always get what you are worth and the raod to getting a fair salary is long and hard. But you have to decide if you are going to go through with it and .... BYTVAS ... at the end it is worth the effort.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2008, 09:11:28 pm »

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
    • Oosthuizen family in NZ
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2008, 05:01:21 am »
Well tandl, haven't you got PR already? With PR things are a wee bit different than people coming over cowboy style. They battle to get a job because they haven't got a valid WP, where with PR that door doesn't exist for you. SAKB.
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
18/07/2007-Selected from the Pool
07/03/2008-Receive ITA
15/05/2008-ITA Submitted-(hou duim vas)
11/12/2008-PR GRANTED-(thanx a lot!!!)

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)

Offline Paperdoll

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2008, 08:39:26 am »
Hi everybody

Been a bit quiet on the forum.  Been busy, busy, busy!

Just picking up on the thread about the R500,000 pp that you can bring out on holiday visa ....  was anybody asked questions about the amount of money they brought out.  Just thought maybe the immigration guys get funny and suspicious about large sums of money??

Offline ANTONK

• Resident
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2008, 03:17:04 pm »
This is also were we have a problem - also MISSED the boat long time ago  :thumbdown:
Also don't have close to R 500 000.00 EISH !!!

Offline soniag

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2008, 06:40:17 pm »
 ;D
Dankie tog...amper begin ek te dink ons is die enigste armgatte wat daar gaan aankom. ::) :whistle:
You cannot control what life brings your way. But what you do with it is up to you.

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
    • Oosthuizen family in NZ
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2008, 08:20:43 pm »
Ja toemaar, kom join maar die klub.  :D  :heeha:  SAKB
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
18/07/2007-Selected from the Pool
07/03/2008-Receive ITA
15/05/2008-ITA Submitted-(hou duim vas)
11/12/2008-PR GRANTED-(thanx a lot!!!)

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2008, 08:20:43 pm »

Offline Saturn_Moon

• Certified Addict
  • Auckland, New Zealand
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2008, 06:17:55 am »
Just picking up on the thread about the R500,000 pp that you can bring out on holiday visa ....  was anybody asked questions about the amount of money they brought out.  Just thought maybe the immigration guys get funny and suspicious about large sums of money??

Hi Jannee.

My OH and I spoke to someone from one of the Kiwi banks at the NZ expo in JHB a little while ago. When you arrive at customs you have to declare money if it is over $10,000 if in cash (not sure if this is travellers cheques as well?) According to this person, if you have money in a kiwi bank account on arrival that doesn't count.

Offline Saturn_Moon

• Certified Addict
  • Auckland, New Zealand
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2008, 06:19:49 am »
This is also were we have a problem - also MISSED the boat long time ago  :thumbdown:
Also don't have close to R 500 000.00 EISH !!!

My OH and I are going cowboy style next year and we also don't have close to that amount. We are already stressed and not even there yet. But we are going to put our minds to the task and work our butts off at getting jobs. We fortunately have a few employment agencies that are keen to meet with us when we arrive and are willing to help us.

Offline Paperdoll

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2008, 09:03:05 am »
Hi again

I definitely won't have R500,000 each, but we could have about R200,000 odd each and I am just wondering how to get past immigration without arousing any unwanted attention.   ???  But I guess if we say we are on a 3 month vacation and have taken the money with for hotels, tours, etc, we should be OK.

Fortunately, for us we have some assets that we can make money from.  My business is almost, almost sold  O0 (hold thumbs for us as the lady is coming in today and we are hoping she has the finance!) and then we hope to sell 2 motorbikes soon.  We are a bit lucky in that we can sell some stuff and get some precious money to see us through in NZ.

Our house will be the difficult one though as I am not sure if we can get it sold over the next few months and we definitely won't make money on that - in fact we may have to keep it and rent it out.  Like some else said, we are not letting that keep us back from going!   ;)

Offline Johan01

• Certified Addict
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2008, 03:02:20 am »
Jannee

One way is to buy/pay some of your stuff in NZ before you go. eg. the place where you going to stay, a car, maybe some furniture. Then arrange with the bank that they transfer money for you when you let them know to your NZ account. You can open one now but it will only be activated when you in NZ and go see the bank. ASB where very helpful and they have ties with ABSA so transfering money was a breeze. We just sent an e-mail to the lady doing the transfers and a few days later the monye was in our bank account in NZ. Also some of our family made gifts to us (R30000 per person per year). We had just over $11000 cash when we came throug custom and declared it just a form you fill in and done.

Offline ajp

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2008, 02:16:16 pm »
How do you transfer money from SA to NZ once already in NZ (on WP/PR), like when your house gets sold ? As you need to do this in the bank, I'm guessing you need some-one with full power of attorney in SA, or as Johan01 said, need to arrange with the bank before hand (but you still need to do tax clearance - how do you do that remotely?)?

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2008, 02:16:16 pm »

Offline Johan01

• Certified Addict
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2008, 02:06:43 am »
Depends on how much money needs to come over and when you left SA and when the money is due. For instance if you leave SA in Novemebr and your house get sold in January the following year you will not be able to bring money over on your travelling allowance you will need to go back so as to reactivate your travel allowance.

Try in obtaining a tax clearance before hand and leave it with the bank. Tha way you could cover that part.

Offline ajp

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2008, 08:20:34 am »
OK, so going with the scenario where I left in November on WP, and the house sold in January, say we get out R200 000 could we try and do an overseas "investment" (as part of the lifetime 2milj allowed for SA residents) with some-one with power of attorney helping in SA (and tax clearance) ?

Also how do SA control the credit card spending overseas to make sure it stays within your travel allowance ? Is Visa and MasterCard generally accepted in NZ to buy stuff (e.g. furniture, cars, etc.) ? I know there is a transaction limit (R20,000 ??) for payments over the internet)...

(Sorry, hope these questions is still relevant to this post... :whistle: Anything to get the money "cleared" !)

Offline Shaz

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2008, 05:41:30 am »
A tax clearance needs to be an original signed by you personally. Get the forms off the net and complete them. Post them back to SA and get someone to submit them for you. There is a place on the form for a "power of attorney" for the details of whoever is going to submit and collect it for you. As far as I know the banks also need original signed forms from you. They cannot transfer money overseas on a power of attorney.

Not sure about part 2 but i have withdrawn money using my ABSA credit card with no problems.