Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: At last someone tells it like it is !!  (Read 3569 times)

Offline Smallfly

At last someone tells it like it is !!
« on: August 20, 2008, 02:55:45 pm »
Quite thought provoking...!!

From Ireland: AFRICA is giving nothing to anyone -- apart from AIDS - The rise of Voodoo idiocy

Date Posted: Thursday 14-Aug-2008

This report by K. Myers appeared in an Irish newspaper "The Irish Independent."

AFRICA is giving nothing to anyone -- apart from AIDS

Thursday July 10 2008

No. It will not do. Even as we see African states refusing to take action to restore something resembling civilisation in Zimbabwe, the begging bowl for Ethiopia is being passed around to us, yet again. It is nearly 25 years since Ethiopia's (and Bob Geldof's) famous Feed The World campaign, and in that time Ethiopia's population has grown from 33.5 million to 78 million today.

So why on earth should I do anything to encourage further catastrophic demographic growth in that country? Where is the logic? There is none.
To be sure, there are two things saying that logic doesn't count.

One is my conscience, and the other is the picture, yet again, of Another wide-eyed child, yet again, gazing, yet again, at the camera, which yet again, captures the tragedy of . . .

Sorry. My conscience has toured this territory on foot and financially.
Unlike most of you, I have been to Ethiopia; like most of you, I have stumped up the loot to charities to stop starvation there. The wide-eyed boy-child we saved, 20 years or so ago, is now a priapic, Kalashnikov-bearing hearty, siring children whenever the whim takes him.

There is, no doubt a good argument why we should prolong this predatory and dysfunctional economic, social and sexual system; but I do not know what it is. There is, on the other hand, every reason not to write a column like this.

It will win no friends, and will provoke the self-righteous wrath of, well, the self-righteous, hand wringing , letter -writing wrathful individuals, a species which never fails to contaminate almost every debate in Irish life with its sneers and its moral superiority. It will also probably enrage some of the finest men in Irish life, like John O'Shea, of Goal; and the Finucane brothers, men whom I admire enormously. So be it.

But, please, please, you self-righteously wrathful, spare me mention of our own Famine, with this or that lazy analogy. There is no comparison.
Within 20 years of the Famine, the Irish population was down by 30pc.
Over the equivalent period, thanks to western food, the Mercedes 10-wheel truck And the Lockheed Hercules, Ethiopia's has more than doubled.

Alas, that wretched country is not alone in its madness. Somewhere, over the rainbow, lies Somalia, another fine land of violent, Kalashnikov-toting, khat-chewing, girl-circumcising, permanently tumescent layabouts.

Indeed, we now have almost an entire continent of sexually hyperactive, illiterate indigents, with tens of millions of people who only survive because of help from the outside world.

This dependency has not stimulated political prudence or commonsense.
Indeed, voodoo idiocy seems to be in the ascendant, with the next president of South Africa being a firm believer in the efficacy of a little tap water on the post-coital penis as a sure preventative against AIDS infection.

Needless to say, poverty, hunger and societal meltdown have not prevented idiotic wars involving Tigre, Uganda, Congo, Sudan, Somalia, Eritrea etcetera.

Broad brush-strokes, to be sure. But broad brush-strokes are often the Way that history paints its gaudier, if more decisive, chapters. Japan, China, Russia, Korea, Poland, Germany, Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia in the 20th century have endured worse broad brush-strokes than almost any part of Africa.

They are now -- one way or another -- virtually all giving aid to orinvesting in Africa, whereas Africa, with its vast savannahs and its lush pastures, is giving almost nothing to anyone, apart from AIDS.

Meanwhile, Africa's peoples are outstripping their resources, and Causing catastrophic ecological degradation. By 2050, the population of Ethiopia will be 177 million: The equivalent of France, Germany and Benelux today, but located on the parched and increasingly protein-free wastelands of the Great Rift Valley.

So, how much sense does it make for us actively to increase the adult population of what is already a vastly over-populated, environmentally devastated and economically dependent country?

How much morality is there in saving an Ethiopian child from starvation today, for it to survive to a life of brutal circumcision, poverty, hunger, violence and sexual abuse, resulting in another half-dozen such wide-eyed children, with comparably jolly little lives ahead of them? Of course, it might make you feel better, which is a prime reason for so much charity.! But that is not good enough.

For self-serving generosity has been one of the curses of Africa. It has sustained political systems which would otherwise have collapsed.

It prolonged the Eritrean-Ethiopian war by nearly a decade. It is inspiring Bill Gates' programme to rid the continent of malaria, when, in the almost complete absence of personal self-discipline, that disease is one of the most efficacious forms of population-control now operating.

If his programme is successful, tens of millions of children who would otherwise have died in infancy will survive to adulthood, he boasts. Oh
good: then what? I know. Let them all come here or America. Yes, that's an idea.
Never look down upon someone, unless you are helping him up.

Offline itbjcm

Re: At last someone tells it like it is !!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 07:25:05 pm »
Hard one, isn't it?  I just love a good argument and it will be interesting to read the views on this one. :)

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 07:25:05 pm »

Offline soniag

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 07:55:56 pm »
Ja wraggies...ek stem saam, en as ons sulke dinge vir mense se dan is ons gevoelloos volgens hulle...

Ek glo nie in jammerte nie, want ek kan met alle eerlikheid se dat ek dit nog nie gesien werk het nie.

Die inboorlinge van Afrika is meerendeels 'n "consumer race" en ek is so bly ek staan nie alleen in daardie denke nie.

Sorry but its true
You cannot control what life brings your way. But what you do with it is up to you.

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
    • Oosthuizen family in NZ
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 09:12:57 pm »
K. Myers, I tip my hat for you because it is all true. You had guts to put this all on paper and let the rest of the world read and know what is going on. Let us all "save Africa" so that the rest of us can starve of hunger  :o  ........ it seems.  ::)  Cheers, SAKB.
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
18/07/2007-Selected from the Pool
07/03/2008-Receive ITA
15/05/2008-ITA Submitted-(hou duim vas)
11/12/2008-PR GRANTED-(thanx a lot!!!)

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)

Offline itbjcm

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 01:08:14 am »
Yes, that is the one half of it.  Sure is contradictory that the continent that suffers the most with poverty, is also the continent with the largest population growth.  What need to be your point of view, though?

Let's say you're a christian.  Your religion says that God created man, regardless of color or culture and that Christ came to this world and suffer for all the people, again, regardless of color or culture.  One of the great commandments is to love one another.  From this point of view, do you really have the right to condemn Africa?  Will your answer to God's commandment be "Yes, Lord, but ...."?  Did He not say that what ever you do unto to one of these people, you do unto Him?  So, if you condemn Africa, this can not be your point of view, or can it?

Taking in account all that have been done by other nations to safe Africa, one cannot help to think "What for?"  because all this help isn't helping!  In fact, it's getting worse by the minute.  Do all these other countries maybe have to sit back and let Africa for a change look after Africa? That's how nature works: survival of the strongest.  It is rare indeed in nature to see weak animals survive.  The strong ones get the food.  Weak babies get left behind or get kicked out of the nest, left behind to die.  Are humans suppose to be part of nature and treated as such? 

What is your point of view? 

Offline PMDENEKE

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 02:22:59 am »
 I believe it all starts with the government.If the gov is God fearing the land will have a blessing on it.  The NZ gov opens with a prayer everytime. So does britian and USA.and I am sure OZ as well. Sa use to. but not any more. God is not honored any more in the SA Government.But Antcestor worship is honored.

I heard somebody say, where there is Islam.'' The land becomes cursed and dry''
expect good things

Offline itbjcm

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 03:17:15 am »
PMDENEKE, you said that if the gov is God fearing the land will have a blessing.  I was just wondering what exactly do you mean by God fearing?  If SA gov opens with prayer, is that God fearing enough?  Do you only need to start with prayer or do you also need to obey the rest of God's Word?  Like love one another, regardless.  The SA gov sure did start with prayer and then went on and ignore a lot of God's instructions.  How blessed were SA then?  This remind me of a Roman Catholic man.  He was seen as a God fearing man, praying regularly, went to mass, the lot. When he came home after church, he went to his home and hit his wife, treated her worse than the animals in his care.  The priest knew about this but did nothing, that man was a God fearing man after all, he started everyday with a prayer.
The USA also opens with prayer, but does that excuse their total lack of respect for human life and  nature?  They start with prayer, yet their leader is seen as an "evil" man.  Read a bumper sticker the other day "Frodo failed, Bush got the ring."   

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 03:17:15 am »

Offline itbjcm

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 04:32:20 am »
Don't know if that's quite possible.  Christianity is suppose to be an integral part of the believer. It influence your whole value system and the way you handle everyday situations.  It is not something you can put aside or use when it suits you.  I know this thread wasn't meant to be a religion discussion, but like I said, it is an integral part.

Offline Saturn_Moon

• Certified Addict
  • Auckland, New Zealand
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 05:46:50 am »
more people have been killed in the name of religion since the dawn of history then any other cause, reason or fad. so i suggest lets just leave the pro's and con's of religion out of it.

Don't know if that's quite possible. Christianity is suppose to be an integral part of the believer.

All due respect itbjcm, but it should not be assumed that everyone (included on this forum) is a Christian. I am one but Christianity shouldn't be forced on those who believe otherwise i.e. Muslim, Hindu etc. Whether we like it or not as Christians we have to respect other people's beliefs and not judge them because of it...

On to the story - I am two minded....

I bet you that if this writer is a journalist he still has his job because people understand that it is just an opinion and people are fine with it as long as it doesn't go too overboard - but in this country (SA) you will get your a$$ fired - I bet that even if David Bullard wrote something along these lines he would still have gotten the boot.

Itbjcm - I agree with what you said here :

That's how nature works: survival of the strongest.  It is rare indeed in nature to see weak animals survive.  The strong ones get the food.  Weak babies get left behind or get kicked out of the nest, left behind to die.  Are humans suppose to be part of nature and treated as such? 

This world is over run by humans and it makes me sick seeing how certain cultures/races or whatever you want to call it, breed like rabbits but should we not have compassion? Sometimes I do but there are days when I wish I could get all my friends, family and loved ones out of Africa and drop an atom bomb there and wipe everything out.

Sometimes I wish God didn't promise he would never send a flood again because I honestly think this world needs it, even deserves it  :confused:   >:( He said he would come by fire - sometimes I wish He would come already!    >:(    :'(   

:offtopic: Everything makes me sick. And what the hell is happening to 'our' children, generally speaking?! They are not children anymore!!!! They are murderers, thieves, rapists, etc etc. They have no morals, no respect for authority, have not been taught to accept responsibility and learn to accept the consequences of their actions. The biggest mistake the world could ever have made was taking away corporal punishment.

I wish God/Jesus would come already and wipe us all out - we are destroying this earth - we are destroying our future and even though we don't deserve his unconditional love we get it - I don't understand  :confused: but appreciate it.

Sorry to those that don't believe in God / Jesus but I felt that I needed to say this.

Nolan if you feel that the above in inappropriate - you can delete it - I will understand.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 06:10:42 am by Saturn_Moon »

Offline itbjcm

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 06:04:50 am »
Hi Saturn-moon.  Please, please, a misunderstanding!  I never assume everyone is a christian and I agree 100% that not Christianity nor any other religion should be forced on other.  I need to set this right because I feel just as strong about it.   :) 

Offline Saturn_Moon

• Certified Addict
  • Auckland, New Zealand
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 06:07:29 am »
Hi Saturn-moon.  Please, please, a misunderstanding!  I never assume everyone is a christian and I agree 100% that not Christianity nor any other religion should be forced on other.  I need to set this right because I feel just as strong about it.   :) 

Don't worry - really not a problem - it's just the way you worded it - it could be easily misinterpreted and could offend people.

O0

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2008, 08:51:58 am »
I suggest we leave the religion debate out of this as it just leads to arguments which have no amicable ending.

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2008, 08:51:58 am »

Offline jafa77

• Certified Addict
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008, 09:06:56 am »
I am with you on this one, Nolan.

Offline ScillaGP

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2008, 12:22:59 pm »
Agreed Nolan
The original post,sad to say but 100% correct. Natural selection is here for a reason but us humans take it upon ourselves to step in and destroy the natural order of things. We must then pay the consequences.

Offline johanpet1

• Amanzimtoti (SA)
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2008, 06:52:24 pm »
Politics and religion discussions broke up many friendships -

But a coin have two sides - every homo sapien have brain and a viewpoint.  >:D

Maybe not on this site though. OK, point taken   O0

We will leave the struggles for the extinct homo erectus ?? (Is this Darwin's missing link) and Africa in a few years   :thumbdown: