Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Tenancy Tribunal Laws/Managing Agents  (Read 3352 times)

Offline Centurionite

Tenancy Tribunal Laws/Managing Agents
« on: September 17, 2008, 08:14:40 am »
We have been in NZ just over a year and a half now  and were badly screwed over.

Firstly we were lied to by our Managing Agent - be very careful, brush up on your property laws.

We expressly asked about noise levels in this new apartment we moved into in Takapuna, and were told what a family environment it was.

There has been continued building still going on for the last 8 months and noise from Tenpin Bowling Alley next door. We were told at our mediation that we should have brushed up on the property laws, taken into account where we were situated and expected builders to continue being on the property since it was new (even though we were told it was complete).

We are therefore stuck in a fixed term tenancy which is impossible to end - they don't care about the impact it has on a person emotionally or health wise or the welfare of your small children.

Do not trust Managing Agents....... it leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

Apartment living is terrible - you hear every door bang when other tenants are around, your sleep is also interupted by people and cars coming and going in the building. Apartments are also more favoured by Asians, many many Asians.

Insulation is not something that is taken very seriously here.

When you vacate a property, expect to pay for curtains to be cleaned, oven to be santized (a normal oven clean was not acceptable) and we are most probably going to have to paint the entire apartment (there are a few marks on the walls from dirty hands) this is considered intentional damages.

The cheapest things are used for rentals, but migrants are a favourate - as they can screw us over for almost our entire bond.

Offline ANTONK

• Resident
Re: Tenancy Tribunal Laws/Managing Agents
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 05:28:58 pm »
Sorry to hear this but as they always say - DO YOUR HOMEWORK before deciding on what to do  O0

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 05:28:58 pm »

Offline soniag

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 06:03:30 am »
Jislaaik dis nou 'n bummer.  Ja dis goed en wel om huiswerk te doen, maar sekere dinge verwag 'n mens mos darem nie, en dan sit jy met jou vinger op 'n plek waar jy hom nie graag wil het nie..... :o
You cannot control what life brings your way. But what you do with it is up to you.

Offline Johan01

• Certified Addict
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 06:25:54 am »
Ons huur ook deur 'n agent. Sedert ons die eienaar persoonlik ontmoet het en 'n dag lank saam met hom op die plaas deur gebring het, het alles sommer verander. Ons betaal nog aan die agent maar deal verder met die eienaar. Op die manier het ons nou 'n laaaang lease ne sal ons nie binne die volgende 2 tot 3 jaar hoef te trek nie, en die huur gaan ook nie op nie. Die agent doen nog inspeksie maar dit is maar net om te kyk of die plek nog staan. In elk geval die plek nou beter as toe ons ingetrek het en die einaar het dit raak gesien.

Ek dink ook dit hang maar af van agent tot agent. Party is beter as ander en party sal jou inloop as hulle kan. As immigrante is ons maar kwesbaar en moet 'n mens maar op die uit kyk wees. Ons is ook ingeloop maar gelukkig nie met behuising nie. So ons is gelukkig waar ons bly.

Offline Centurionite

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 09:38:50 pm »
I just posted this experience with the Tenancy Tribunal Laws/Managing Agents as a warning/lesson to others to be on the lookout.

We had a previous rental, the owner was also fussy - but not to this degree like the managing agent - hopefully we will have better luck next time, and believe me, we will be asking a lot more questions.

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 09:48:57 pm »
There is a book called "The Streetwise Home Buyer" on the "Where to live in Auckland" site. It has all the info in that you will need to bring yourself up to speed with the laws and things to look out for - when buying AND renting O0

We bought it and it was worth the money.

Offline johanpet1

• Amanzimtoti (SA)
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 12:38:23 am »
This is avery interesting topic as one need to be happy where you stay.

Thanks Nolan, This should help us ou's that is still "here" to not get caught when we go "there".
 O0

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 12:38:23 am »

Offline Didi77

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 02:44:20 am »
My sister told me to take pictures of everything before moving furniture in. Esp things that are wrong, marks on the walls and roofs, mold etc.... then they can not tell you later it was you. Also of the garden. Our agent told me last month that we have to re-seed the flower beds that was full of weeds on the edge of the property. The contactor charged me $58 to do this. I went back to the photos, sent her the one that showed there was weeds there when we moved in and now the agency has to pay to re-seed the bed!!  :2funny:

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 03:11:09 am »
yikes we are moving in 2 weeks - hope I don't have any problems :heeha:

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 04:30:50 am »
I walked in with the video camera rolling and never stopped filming untill I have filmed every corner and crevas (sp?), pointing out any mistake we could find. Then when we received the fault report from the agent, she had actually picked up more faults than we did, so I suspect that we shouldn't have too many problems unless she finds new faults when we leave....

Offline Centurionite

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2008, 08:57:16 am »
It is good to see that other people are having the same problems or similar to us - I was starting to feel really picked on.

Offline El

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2008, 09:36:44 am »
taking photographs is a good idea!  Thanks for the tips.  O0

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2008, 09:36:44 am »

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2008, 10:17:01 am »
You can check out more on this at www.tenancy.govt.co.nz and here is a really cool website I found today

https://www.changemyaddress.co.nz/index2.cf

Lea

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 08:04:00 am »
Wow, that is really tough!  Yes unfortunately noisy areas, the agent won't really know unless they have received complaints before.  We had a noisy area before and ended up phoning noise control every single weekend pretty much, but because we were in a fixed term tenancy they couldn't do anything.  They said it is no different than if you bought in an area and ended up in a noisy area.

As a tenant your job is to leave a place in a reasonable tidy and neat condition and unless you deliberately dirtied the curtains it shouldn't have to be your job to get it cleaned and as for the oven, as long as you did a usual clean inside and it isn't dirty inside, then I can't see why they would expect you to pay extra to get it sanitised.  In all 4 years of us renting, we've never had this before.

If you can, try to negotiate periodic tenancy which is where you give 3 weeks' notice.

Just remember that newer houses are all much better insulated and much more sound-proof than older homes. 

Offline Durbschick1

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 09:51:34 pm »
I agree! Be careful - We moved into our rental 8 months ago, right from the start we informed the rental agent that my hubby gets paid on a Thursday and we will therefore pay rent on a Thursday... This weekend I get a rude letter giving us 10 days to catch up on rent in arrears of $157... I was dumbstruck... I pay the rent diligently, never pay short! This would obviously be the letter my hubby gets to open so the entire weekend he did not speak to me since I must have made a mistake and short paid at some stage... (he gave up smoking 3 weeks ago so the temper is not so good...) Well, after trying all day to get hold of the agent I finally get this 18 year old cheerleader only to find out that apparently they want us to pay our rent on a Tuesday, and since the money I transfer on a Thursday only shows in their account by Friday we are always 3 days behind...... It took them 8 months to decide this... and then they cannot even word the letter correctly!  :hammer: