Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: What Salary will I earn?  (Read 16900 times)

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
What Salary will I earn?
« on: March 07, 2007, 11:32:54 pm »
The BIG question everybody asks is:  How much do I need to survive?   Will I be able to make it on $xx salary?  So that we don't repeat ourselves to everybody who asks this question, I'm making this topic a Sticky. :)
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
  • NZ, now Melbourne, Australia
Re: What Salary will I earn?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 12:23:46 am »
Many people, including myself and I'm sure you guys, have wondered what sort of salary you need here in NZ to survive? Most of us realise it's a matter of lifestyle. It's been the BIG question on many sites and an obviously big deal to us all, but it's like asking how long is a piece of string??

We happy here with what hubby earns, but it's always nicer to have more money. Geez, have you seen how the Brits complain about how they can't live on less then $1000 a week? They need to all go live in SA for a while first....me thinks !

You need to be a bit flexable when you immigrate and realise that your life is going to change a bit more then just your surroundings! It takes time to get into the way you'd like to live!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 12:25:50 am by Happy Expat »

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 12:23:46 am »

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 03:36:15 am »
I love your analogy - "it's like asking how long is a piece of string??"
 :laugh:

I think one has to simply take a look at what you will earn in your field and then simply budget accordingly - simplify your lifestyle if needed.  When we moved to the States we knew we'd have to "start at the bottom" for a while.  We bought just the necessary stuff, and rented an apartment/flat.  Of course we didnt have kids then.  But anybody has to adjust at some stage in your life.  Sometimes your income is diminished due to a lay-off.  One simply has to be willing to step down in lifestyle for a while, unless you have loads of cash to do otherwise. 

In my opinion, the adjustment is well worth it.  For most people coming in on the skills shortage list, you'll be earning a good salary.
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
  • NZ, now Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 04:54:40 am »
I think it's a small price to pay for a better way of life!! Sacrifaces are something SA's should be used to? ;)

IMHO it's well worth it!! :smitten:

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 08:29:56 am »
The average salary according to stats is around $30 000/year, for more specific info in your field of work look at the Hays Survey and look on the job sites.

I think the more correct question is not really what will I earn for most folks, it's 'what kind of lifestyle will I have'. This question, unfortunately, nobody will be able to answer. It is up to each person to research what they can earn, then use the info on the site to estimate their expenses like housing, food, etc. by using the links under the Essential Links page and in threads like THIS on the forum.

Then you can get an idea of what you can afford now in SA / vs what you can afford in NZ.

Offline Marilize

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2007, 09:08:49 am »
I don't know that you can live on 30-something k a year.  Consensus here seems to be that you can scrape by on early 40's.  It depends on a couple of things - in a place like Auckland you may struggle to survive on 60, which will give you a good if modest standard of living in a small town.  Also, housing is ridiculously expensive.  I've met a couple of SAns and some of them are still renting after quite a long period as they simply can't afford to buy.  If you're coming over with a good deposit you only need a small loan and can survive on very little. 

If you are coming over with no or very little money for a deposit, you'll have to earn quite a bit to pay off a bond.  We're in a town that is certainly significantly cheaper than Auckland.  Properties in the flash areas of town go for $400 000+, while the decent suburbs (not yuppie but good to raise kids - average suburban) are about $250 000+.  We looked at a nice little house (100 sq m) on a decent sized stand (by nz standards) today and they want 285k for it.  That's about the going rate in the area.   

Of course, if you have 2 salaries it becomes a lot easier.  We're looking at surviving only on mine for a while, so we don't want to overcommit ourselves right now.  Work is not that hard to find, but you'll get a job - not necessarily the job you want.  Many immigrants start out as cleaners (about $10 an hour) as they struggle to find jobs in their own fields. 

Even people that are doing relatively well still live very frugally by our standards.  They check prices and use discount coupons and factory shops. 

Disclaimer - based on one town and one week - one could very well live on less in other areas so don't make decisions based on what I say.
M

Offline Johan01

• Certified Addict
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2007, 10:20:53 am »
Looking at the averages on the links Nolan provided makes one feel more at ease. An estimate for me would be around $85000 to $120000 plus if Jolene can work at around $40000 we should be able to survive, with between $125000 to $160000 per year. But of course all will depend on the negotiations. At this stage I am not to much worried 'bout salary so long it is above $45000 per year. Have taken care of another $3000 per month as a reserve emergency fund for the next two years at least.

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2007, 10:20:53 am »

Offline Marilize

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2007, 10:25:33 am »
Generally it seems that 100k a year is considered a LOT - you'll live very comfortably on that (unless of course you're in Auckland, in which case you may need every cent to cover your bond  ;D)

Offline Johan01

• Certified Addict
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2007, 10:28:31 am »
Looks like I will pass Auckland, All negotiation are for away from Auckland toward the Eastern side of NI Tauranga all the way down to Wellington, oh and then also in Christchurch. Will have to see later on.

Offline Johan01

• Certified Addict
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2007, 06:15:35 am »
When look ing at what you will earn you'll need to take tax inconciderstion. Calculate it here
https://www.ird.govt.nz/calculators/keyword/paye/calculator-paye-2008.html

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2007, 06:54:47 am »
Thanks, Johan!  That gives me an idea of what we'll get out net at a certain salary... then one can budget from there... Great link!!  O0
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline Johan01

• Certified Addict
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2007, 09:02:16 am »
Auckland 1 260 900 people Pretoria 1 884 046: Auckland 1086 square km Pretoria 1644 square km.  Wellington population all areas included 423765 Benoni South Africa 498400

Interesting ???

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2007, 09:02:16 am »

brad77

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2007, 09:09:20 am »
But remember pop figure are 1st world, civilised people (mostly), compared to the "masses" as the ANC calls them who are 3rd world. You cannot compare 1st and 3rd world cities.

greenfamily

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2007, 05:21:01 pm »
 A crude conversion is that for every 100k rand earned py in sa you must earn 20k NZ$ if you want to maintain a similar life style. I can not see how you can live on less than 70kNZ$ in Auckland.
Never forget it is expensive as everyone earns a living wage if emloyed.

Offline Johan01

• Certified Addict
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2007, 06:58:03 am »
Exactly Brad that is also why one cannot compare salaries. It is a matter of quality of life. Who is really the richer ... a Jhb Millioner that cannot go anywhere for fear of his life that stays behind iron bars with guards all over or the guy in NZ who earns $50k is relaxed and minimum of stress, who's children are safe from murders and rapists. Rather poor and happy than rich and miserable