Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: What Salary will I earn?  (Read 16921 times)

Offline nazmahomed

Re: What Salary will I earn?
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2007, 07:13:11 am »
that definitely gets my vote Johan. And we are most certainly not going over to be paupers. So, with food on our tables and decent jobs to go to I am not going to complain about the menial things that we will not be a able to afford for a while. And it will only be for a short while....coz this gal has big plans

Thanks for the link Johan
"never let the fear of striking out,keep you from playing the game"

brad77

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2007, 08:37:22 am »
yeah, quality is great.

Girls, even 6 year olds, can walk the streets, to school, to shops etc. My friends kids do, even in the evening.

Was just driving home now, door unlocked, music loud, no one hanging round the traffic lights, pitch dark, BUT perfectly safe. I would swop my mansion in JHB for this anyday!

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2007, 08:37:22 am »

Offline nazmahomed

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2007, 08:56:27 am »
Good on you. I just realised another cost I will be saving on :clap: THE GYM. We have decided that we are getting bikes and going riding in the evenings, or taking walks. And we are doing it.....BECAUSE WE CAN ;D

Badprop

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2007, 01:43:11 pm »
Naz, Gym - R180pm, security  -  R350pm, insurance  -  R 550pm.  Freedom to cycle Priceless :clap:

Offline nazmahomed

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2007, 03:18:02 pm »
I couldnt agree with you more....It is going to be wonderful to be able to go cycling in the evenings...and i know that my 4 year old is going to loooove the freedom. He doesnt have to be confined to the back yard anymore and i dont have to keep watching over my shoulder.

These savings are but a few. When you look at the bigger picture, things really do balance out...that's what I have found to be the case anyway. The salaries may not be great by some standards, but the lifestyle is best by everyones, I suppose people just have to decide whats more important to them and if they do decide to move to NZ, then they need to make the best of what they have and learn to live with it or else dont make the move in the first place.

greenfamily

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2007, 06:59:23 pm »
Do not romantisize poverty.
If you have a mansion in sandton you may be ok but if you have a modest middle class home you may find things tough. Livng in a old cold bleak home in a unfavourable suburb -and there are many -will not be so charming. We must remain realistic.

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
  • NZ, now Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2007, 12:45:28 am »
Exactly Brad that is also why one cannot compare salaries. It is a matter of quality of life. Who is really the richer ... a Jhb Millioner that cannot go anywhere for fear of his life that stays behind iron bars with guards all over or the guy in NZ who earns $50k is relaxed and minimum of stress, who's children are safe from murders and rapists. Rather poor and happy than rich and miserable

Ditto!! O0

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2007, 12:45:28 am »

Offline nazmahomed

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2007, 07:42:33 am »
It is important to be realistic. That is why i said in one of my ealier posts that I am comforted after gathering information and knowing what lies ahead. I suppose for us it will be a bit different because we are going over to a stable income and the prospects of me getting a job fairly soon seem promising. We dont have a lot to take over as we are very young compared to most of the other migrants (I'm 24 and hubby is 30)...but what we do have is enough to give us a good platform to start from. I dont have a mansion in Sandton unforunately, and the modest middle class home that's just been sold hasn't fetched a good profit, yet things still look pretty good from where i look at them.

I know that we wont be able to buy a house for at least two years, but thats fine because we can afford to rent in a good area until then. I am not going to New Zealand for riches...I know what I am getting myself into and I am definitely doing it with eyes wide open.

Offline Rhodan

• Certified Addict
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2007, 07:50:44 am »
I can not see how you can live on less than 70kNZ$ in Auckland.

The average Auckland salary is $45 000, how do you figure that out ?

Quote from: greenfamily
if you have a modest middle class home you may find things tough.

I don't in fact own any property, I'm still relatively young compared to the rest of you, so are you saying I'm going to find it tough ? I don't quite understand your statement here ? What is wrong with living in a middle class suburb / home ? I come from a middle class background, and I'm in fact looking to earn more than double what I earn in SA, probably around $70k - $80k.

I do agree it's important to be realistic, but I think everyone's situation is unique and we need to be careful of "generalizing" everyone's situation, and "scare-mongering".
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 07:59:18 am by Rhodan »

Badprop

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2007, 08:48:21 am »
I have a very average home and will be living in a very average home again there.  My children deserve to play in the garden and get a good education.  They do not deserve me keeping them inside the house for their own safety.  My daughter does not understand why she can't drive with the window open, or why she has to be within seeing distance from me at all times or why she can't sleep over at other friends houses or why she has to lock her windows at night.  She is 7 and can't even ride a bike, why not?  Is that worth me taking a step back financially and work to get back to where we are now.  You bet your little bottom it is. 

As some wise person said in a thread here somewhere.  If 4 million NZ can do it, so can I. 

brad77

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2007, 09:50:01 am »
The best things in life are free! :heeha:

On Sunday night I was driving home on a rural country highway. It was pitch dark and deserted and I stopped on the side of the road to make a phone call. I wound down the window and looked up at the stars, then sat and enjoyed the silence. There was not one bit of fear  that a savage would appear at my window with a gun. I love it here! :smitten:

Offline Marilize

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2007, 10:47:13 am »
Hiya folks.  I am very ambivalent when I read these kinds of posts.  On the one hand, I feel responsible for dampening some people's spirits and implying that making ends meet in NZ is terribly hard.  On the other hand I also feel that most sites don't mention the harsher realities of living here.  When people start talking about all the money they will have left over at the end of the month - that's simply not realistic.  We are on only one salary at the moment, but a pretty good one by NZ standards.  I don't think we'll have any money left over at the end of the month - certainly not enough to go out for a nice meal at a restaurant!

We have met a couple of SA families here.  One family is now going to Oz - after several years here they are facing yet another retrenchment (this is someone who worked for one company for years and did very well in SA) and are tired of barely making ends meet.  Another family is holding on, but barely.  they earn less than what I do and are financially ok but not going anywhere.  They are eating into their savings bit by bit.  They've stopped looking for a house as they can't afford one - unless they buy in the dodgy area of town.

I know what I qualify for in terms of a bond here and I have a pretty good idea of the repayment that I can afford.  If you know what you will earn in Auckland, look at house prices in the North Shore or wherever and see whether you can make those payments.  I know that my boss (a kiwi) told me that we'd struggle to live comfortably in Auckland on my salary.  If you are earning 45k pa, you are probably not paying off a mortgage on a house in the kind of area that you want to raise your children. 

Please, please, please - I am not being negative and I am not trying to dissuade anyone from doing this.  As I said before, we would not have bought the house if we didn't believe that we could survive and make it work here.  But I also don't want people to arrive here with completely unrealistic expectations.  We are putting down a sizable deposit, so our mortgage is only about $178 000.  For that, we pay $365 per week. 

I now buy clothes at secondhand shops (including from the Salvation Army).  We took Josh to the Burger King today - bought us each a drink because I don't want to spend $9 or whatever on buying a burger.  That's the reality for a great many people - and for most migrants from SA.  That doesn't mean that it's not doable or that you shouldn't do it or that it's not worth doing.  It simply means that adding up the money you will save on school fees and medical aid can be very deceptive.  Most of us will never see the level of disposable income that we did in SA.  So come for the great things that are free and be prepared to considerably tone down your lifestyle - despite the free medical!

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2007, 10:47:13 am »

brad77

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2007, 10:52:54 am »
everyones situation is different. I am single and a teacher and I am much better off living in NZ. I can save $1500 or more per month. In SA I could barely save R1000 per month.

Offline nazmahomed

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2007, 12:32:09 pm »
reality check noted Marilize and thank you. You are quite right, I suppose we all need to hear the harsh realities in order to be able to face them when the time comes. Again, I think that each persons situation is going to be different. I dont have a sizeable deposit to put down on a house, but with an estimated income of 100k pa, we expect to be well on our way to owning a house really soon. For us, this is definitely a step up as our salaries are better and we dont mind moving from one modest home to another. Lucky for us we are going to Auckland South where homes are cheaper than in the North, but will still set us back at least 350k.

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2007, 01:45:09 pm »
Marilize don't feel responsible for dampening our spirits.  It is good for us look at the decision we are making from both sides of the spectrum.  I would rather be more cautious with our funds bearing in mind the points you have made and be pleasantly surprised then to come over not expecting anything and finding a nasty surprise because we think we are going to have lots of spare cash.  I think everyones honesty is great even though we don't always like to hear it and deal with it. :)