Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: is this possible  (Read 1609 times)

Offline xmanne

is this possible
« on: March 10, 2007, 02:55:26 pm »
Hi all, was wondering if we are mad: Have decided with my wife and three young boys (all under 5) to leave SA sunny shores. Unfortuantely no degree, only 13 years experience in water treatment field, so not able to apply for . Wife is three years into 4 year BEd degree (early childhood development), which btw is on the NZ STSSL. SO, we have decided that she will go over in um, four weeks time on holiday visa, with boys  :idiot2: , try find job so that we can get work permit. I will in the meantime sell house, then follow. Luckily my boet moved over a few months back so we do have a place to kip, as well as some support (baby sitters  ;D)

Leaving behind a great job, nice house in good area, great schools etc. to basically start over form scratch.  but we feel boys future is more NB.

cheers,

kev

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
Re: is this possible
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2007, 06:18:03 pm »
Hi Kev and welcome to our corner of the world!

Are you sure you don't want to wait till your wife completes her course?  She'll be more marketable then?  I would personally find it a little risky to sell up without knowing that you have a really good chance of getting accepted/job/work permit, etc.
On the other hand we're all different and perhaps you can handle the risks involved! :)
Whatever way, we're here to support you through it all. 
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2007, 06:18:03 pm »

Offline xmanne

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2007, 07:24:10 pm »
Thanks Colleen. I hear what you're saying. And I question the decision daily (hourly!). But our motivation is fear for our kids safety (I know this is sounding quite cliched these days), so one extra day here is one extra day we expose them to unnaceptale risk. I dont know if it's just because we are now looking to leave, but it seems that the frequency (and violent nature) of crimes - particuallry against children - these days is incredibly high. And just lately we seem to be havin a lot of crime where we stay (PMB - 1ooks from Durban).

wrt my wifes qualification, it seems to be a bit of a catch 22. While she could finish off the last two years, from what we understand from NZQA and NZE, she would have to do at least one year in NZ to qualify and register there in any case. So we are trying to get her first two years  modules recognised for credit transfer, then hopefully she just needs to complete final year which she can do while working at a early childhood education centres. well thats the plan  ;)

I suppose we are quite young-ish (low 30's and mid 20's) so that is a small consolation, but if things dont work out - eish  :'(

We have to trust that anything will be better than the constant fear...

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2007, 08:17:45 pm »
Hi Kev
I know how you feel and just can't wait to get out. I also seem to notice a big increase in crime around DBN.  We hope to see you at our meetup we are having in DBN on 14th April. 
Let me know if you can make it and we will email you the details.

Michelle

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
  • NZ, now Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2007, 08:25:29 pm »
Kev, I personally can understand your motivation to leave in a hurry. We did, but we went to the UK first and for us, we feel was a mistake? We left for my daughters safety too (I used to have terrieble nightmares and panic attacks?), but make sure you are willing to start over with your lives. You may go through a lot of frustration and are you ready for that? On the other hand, you will be making a good choice to move to NZ (IMHO of course ;)). It is much safer here, and you will feel happier and safer.
I'm sure your wife and you will be able to find jobs here in both your lines of work!!
Keep us posted!!

Good luck!! :)

Offline xmanne

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2007, 08:56:31 pm »
thanks for the encouraging words guys, need a bit of reassurance now and then. Michelle would love to join you guys on the 14th. My wife leaves 4 days after that, so for her it will be a farewell  :( potentially three monts without my boys  :'(

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2007, 08:58:42 pm »
Hey, that's what we here for!! :smitten:

Stay strong....after all, you are a SAn's, we are tuffies jong!!! ;)

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2007, 08:58:42 pm »

Offline xmanne

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2007, 09:20:24 pm »
Hey, that's what we here for!! :smitten:

Stay strong....after all, you are a SAn's, we are tuffies jong!!! ;)

Xactly, I'm rough and tough, and i came from the Bluff  :knuppel2:

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2007, 10:04:18 pm »
 :2funny:

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2007, 09:27:23 am »
Howzit Kev & Michelle, glad you found us.

My opinion - it would be better to finish Michelle's qual, but...you guys are young enough to go and finish her studies there, so I would go and try find work to boost the points (just ensure that the one that will find work the easiest and who's experience is more in demand goes).  If you can find work and have the credits transfered / recognised, it does seem as though Michelle will actually save a year. This is obviously my opinion only.

Good luck with what you choose, keep us posted and see you at the meetup.

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2007, 04:22:10 pm »
Great Kev

I will PM you the details closer to the time.

Just think the sacrifice of three months without your kids will be worth a lifetime of knowing you gave them a safer and more positive life where they don't have to be scared and worry about their future.

Offline xmanne

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2007, 04:32:33 pm »
Great Kev

I will PM you the details closer to the time.

Just think the sacrifice of three months without your kids will be worth a lifetime of knowing you gave them a safer and more positive life where they don't have to be scared and worry about their future.
thanks, will wait for pm then.

I know what you say about it all being worth it is true, but I keep playing the airport goodbye in my head - and I worry that I wont handle  :( i think that is going to be the hardest part of our move.

thank goodness they will be staying with family over there tho, so at least I wont have to worry about things on that front.

I guess I better stock up on two minute noodles - it's gonna be a tough three months

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2007, 04:32:33 pm »