Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Contact in Nelson - SI ?  (Read 995 times)

Offline alexfl

• Tick Tock...
    • Personal Facebook Profile
Contact in Nelson - SI ?
« on: December 10, 2008, 11:49:11 pm »
Hi there,

Does anybody on this forum know anybody living in Nelson that might entertain some email enquiries regarding my interest to move there?

I'm really struggling to get info on the place!  :tickedoff:

But what is available online has me sold!  :heeha:

Thanks in advance!
Alex
:-) Making Things happen :-)

Offline jafa77

• Certified Addict
Re: Contact in Nelson - SI ?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 01:52:59 am »
Small town. Arty. Big retirement community. Highly rated town to live in. One of the sunniest cities in NZ.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 01:52:59 am »

Offline ANTONK

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 07:53:33 pm »
Do a Google search on the area  O0

Offline Alta van zyl

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 11:00:04 am »
Nelson was also our first choice when we started looking at NZ, but the teaching jobs were scarce and we landed up in Auckland.  Not sure how big the population is there, as it seems more like a tourist town. 

Offline Smallfly

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 08:21:45 am »
Been there about two weeks ago, and it's not all that small.

Well, not to NZ standards anyway, a friend who lived there recons the population could be in

the region of 150 000.

Iff I had a choice, I would opt for Richmond or Motueka, smaller, yet close enough

to the "big town", and WONDERFULL weather,and off course closer to Kaiteriteri beach !!
Never look down upon someone, unless you are helping him up.

Offline alexfl

• Tick Tock...
    • Personal Facebook Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 03:08:11 pm »
Hi there ladies and gents. Thanks for your responses. The Nelson population, according to Stats NZ, is appr 50,000. If memory serves me correctly the province region has about twice that. High dependance on agriculture, hence the relatively high rural population.

Am not able to obtain much in terms of subjective input from the www. Hence the request for a contact in the area. :help:

Smallfly, I've never been there, but imagine that you're quite right.... from what I've read and seen on Google Earth, Richmond and the surrounding suburbs do appeal. By the same token, the surrounding hills/mountains also look good! Either way, right now - it's all about establishing my chances of finding work there. That'll determine what I can afford and where I can afford. It's certainly small enough to be close to the beauty, no matter where in that region you eventually live.

Hope you guys and girls are having a lekker weekend!! It's stinking hot here in Joburg and time for a goof! :clap: Provided nobody has stolen my swimming pool yet  ;)

Cheers,
Alex
:-) Making Things happen :-)