Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Road rules  (Read 1885 times)

Offline Awa

Road rules
« on: December 17, 2008, 04:50:13 am »
Just a question.  A lot of kiwis have more than 3 kids.  If you have 2 adults and 4 kids how do they all buckle up on the back seat?  Do they have to buy a bigger car?  I've  seen families driving with 4 kids in the back (one sitting on the others lap).  Is this permitted?  Just curious as I've seen it a couple of times now.
Arrive in NZ in August 2008
WP received October 2008
EOI submitted April 2010
ITA received April 2010
PR Application Submitted 07 July 2010
PR Approved 18 February 2011

Offline Feather

• Resident
  • Heather - Kaiapoi, Christchurch
Re: Road rules
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 06:34:10 am »
They would have to have a 7 or 8 seater then.  We have a Honda Odyssey (7 seater), that way I can run my kids and two or 3 others around and all have seat belts
Having children sitting on your laps is not permitted.  Having said that, yesterday I saw a family with four children on the back seat, it was a small car.  Illegal as far as I know!!!
Makes me  :tickedoff: that they can be so  :uglystupid2:

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 06:34:10 am »

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 08:35:35 am »
I have also been astonished to see babies in carseats in the front seat, which is also not permitted.  In the States, kids under 12 are not allowed in front passenger seat at all, and have to be in a booster seat until age 8 or above a certain height.  There (in the States) it is strictly enforced, but here it seems that these rules about kids being transported in cars are not enforced at all!  I cringe to think what would happen if those littlies (kiwi term for little children) get blasted by an airbag in an accident.  But then many cars here don't even sport front airbags.... I've been amazed at the outdated features in some cars that are younger than 10 years!!
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline Feather

• Resident
  • Heather - Kaiapoi, Christchurch
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 09:36:52 am »
Our Mazda has an air bag on the drivers side not the passenger side.  Our Odyssey has an air bag on both sides.
We won't allow our children to be in the front seat until they are 12.

Offline Didi77

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 09:59:46 am »
I got pulled over last week just below my house for no reason and the officer asked me if he could open my van's door in the back? He then checked all three my kids safety belts. He also checked some other safety aspects and then sent me on my way.

I wanted to shake his hand.

But my eldest is seven and she does ride on the front seat. Is this dangerous with the airbag or is she old enough?

PS: I loved taking out my new kiwi licence - this was the first person to show adequate interest in my favourite possession!  ;D 

Offline Mumtaz (CapetonianInWellington)

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 12:29:17 am »
Where does one go to get the licence converted? I know that I have read this before, but cant seem to find the thread? I remember reading that someone said that there is no longer a test.

Offline Mumtaz (CapetonianInWellington)

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 12:32:52 am »
Ok - found it - no more tests yipppeee and at the AA.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 12:32:52 am »

Offline Hopeful

• Auckland, NZ
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2008, 09:04:44 am »
Didi77 - airbags are extremely dangerous for really short people - ie kids. They are designed for the average adult, so anyone who is smaller than that is at risk. The airbag explodes with a huge force and is meant to hit the chest of "the average adult", so if it hits a child of 7, it will hit them in the face, which can at best only blind them or damage their face, or at worst, cause brain damage or death. So definitely -  children under 12 should not sit in front unless you can de-activate the airbag. I just watched a program on Discovery (that's why I know now) about the development of seatbelts and airbags and they showed kid-sized crash-test dummies being hit by airbags - if you saw it, you'd never let your kids sit in front. Even worse, they showed a kid standing on the floor in front (some American sued the car company after it happened to his child) and the airbag went off in an accident and basically blew the child up. Horrific. There are 2 non-negotiables in my family: no-one refuses to brush their teeth and no-one refuses to being strapped into their car-seats, no matter how loudly they scream. My 9-year old refuses to sit in front if anyone else asks him to. No matter how well you drive, there's always some other idiot who doesn't.