Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Things that I would have done differently...  (Read 7406 times)

Offline magusta

Things that I would have done differently...
« on: January 07, 2009, 10:45:37 pm »
Let's start a thread and list the things you would've/should've done differently upon arriving & settling?

Here's mine my 10
1. Sold my house before I left SA ( It's still not in the market...thorn in my side, can't sell it until the contract with the tenants expire  :idiot2: )

2. I wouldv'e spent a little less during the job finding days ( I was frugal, but could've been better at it  :whistle: )

3. Brought my motorbike along ( I miss my bike, but would've been deported for being a lunatic  :crazy2:)

4. Stayed in the homestay a little longer before moving out ( I worked for 3 weeks and returned for 3 weeks for my son's birth. Could've saved a little more and my wife could help "pick" the house. We moved to another place eventually, managed to get out of the contract  :tongue: )

5. Bought a cheaper car ( I was used to flash wheels, now I couldn't care less. I'm looking for a Zola bud {people mover} The kids need more space and so do we)  :-\

6. Made the move at least a year earlier, prefferably 5  :smart:

7. Brought more stuff along (I sold/gave away lots and now need to / had to replace it, we still sent a container )  ???

8. Did I mention my beautifull bike   :'(  :smitten: :'(

9. Not bothered with Auckland - easy to say this retrospectively, but had to go through the motions...  ;)

10. Fixed up or replaced my Mom's home computer before I left. (Now she's having a hard time with it...it's sorta okay now....  :blush: )

So, all in all not a lot of major things I would've done differently (Reckon I did do heaps 'right'  :D )

Maybe this info can help someone coming in? That's what we do right?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 10:50:15 pm by magusta »

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
Re: Things that I would have done differently...
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 11:02:21 pm »
Hi Juan

This thread is so important that I have created a new section on the forum where everybody can post their "What I would have done differently" experiences.

Thanks for the feedback.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 11:02:21 pm »

Offline travelite

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 11:13:44 pm »
I really love this post! Thank you!
I'm not even there yet, but I can see where you're coming from with almost all your points. Just don't have the bike. But I have a piano (not quite the same thing, but it's a rather unusual one, and I've had it for almost 50 years)....so why leave it behind! As you say....if you're taking a container.......FILL THE THING!
We also have two little bass boats, just fibreglass shells actually. Hope to fit those in as well. Any reason why we shouldn't??
Major problem at the moment is selling the house. Oh dear.....so perhaps when you get to sell yours, it will be a little easier, and the market may have improved by then as well. Good Luck on that point - how long till the contract expires?
Once again, thanks for all these points. Worth considering, every single one of them

Offline dance

• Certified Addict
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 06:13:39 pm »
For me there are really only 2 things

1. Made the move when we first looked at it about 6 years back ... I was still burying my head in the sand back then

2. Left the container. With everything that we have bought in to make do till our container arrives we ended up with almost 2 full households. I honestly would only have shipped over a few boxes of really personal items such as photos, pc and a few other bits and ends.
When life throws you a lemon - make lemonade!

Offline Didi77

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 10:58:55 am »
Dance I agree 100%!!!!!!!!   :o

Offline !!DV!!

• The Venter
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 10:55:20 am »
I'm with Dance  O0 should have made the move ages ago...

1) I should have brought my Bicycles, I was so stupid to sell them in SA  :idiot2:
2) Spent less money while waiting for my WP  :blush: , could have been a bit more frugal.

Offline janvs

• Arrived !
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 10:54:49 am »
We also agree with Dance - 100%
EOI drawn on 04/06/2008
ITA received 26/06/08
Completed ITA submitted 20/08/08
Received PR 25/11/08
Received passports with PR 21/01/09

[/u

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 10:54:49 am »

Durbschick

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 10:44:29 pm »
Jip, if only we could see into the future! I would have saved allot more... packed allot more, even Tupperware is sorely missed now! No regrets, love New Zealand but could have made allot easier if we had come earlier!  O0 

Offline Feather

• Resident
  • Heather - Kaiapoi, Christchurch
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 02:28:32 am »
All the posts are very interesting!
What would I/we have done differently

1) Came out at the same time as DH instead of staying behind to sell the house and pack everything up.  (4 months is a long time to be a single parent  :thumbdown:)

2) Should have sold our lounge furniture and bought 2nd hand stuff when we got here

3) Should have given more toys away before leaving SA and again when we moved from Mosgiel.  (that would have been good)

Other than that, no regrets. Still  :smitten: with NZ

Offline Doreen

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 12:35:43 am »
Here is my list:
1. Wouldn't sent my dog to Karinga in SA for one month -  before she came to NZ. Would make a other plan.
2. We bring our bicycle, but they stole it here in NZ  ::)
3. I would bring more stuff from my sewing and craft school. Busy to start one here again and I miss stuff that I sold.
4. 100% with Dance - should come earlier to NZ - like 5 or 7 years earlier...
5. Would like to buy a house in NZ first. And then go back to SA and pack everything. Think how nice it would be if you arrive here in NZ and can go straight "home." Doesn't matter if it is still empty...And when the container arrive, it's at your own place!!!The 3 times I have to move wasn't nice for us....
6. Would pack  a poop-scoop in my container....and a lot of those socks with the rubber on the soles...
7. Would hug everyday my dear friend and dear mum in SA and thank God for them.Now I can just pray, text and e-mail them. I miss them with my whole hart :'(

Overall I'm getting better and more settle'd in NZ. It's a lovely country and it will take time for all of us. I realise that there is no place for us anymore in SA, all land I ever know. We must make it the best here!! And be gratefull that they allowed us to come and make a new living here!! Yes, we made mistakes, but do a lot of things also right!!  O0

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
  • NZ, now Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 02:04:38 am »
Nothing, except I wish I had moved to NZ before the UK in 2001. I am very greatful for all the lessons learned along the way about myself and life. I have always been opened minded and that has helped me see the world and people in a very different light to the way "other people" seem to see it ;)

This is a good thread O0

Offline Parra

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2009, 05:59:57 am »
SandyB here, I would have spent more time to say goodbuy to loved one's instead of rushing it just to get through it, knowing that my heart was breaking.  Now I've been in NZ for 3 weeks, and my dad is in hospital with a heart attack and I am praying that my farewell at the airport was not the last time I saw him

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2009, 05:59:57 am »

Offline firefly

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2009, 06:16:46 am »
Hi SandyB sorry o hear about your dad, hope all goes well. I know it is tough saying goodbye to loved ones. You need to remember tough as it may be. We do this for our children to give them a chance in hell of a future.
Please keep us updated and we are just a call away.   

Offline Alta van zyl

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2009, 06:59:08 am »
Sorry to hear about your dad.  Hoping and praying he will recover.   :flowers:

Offline Awa

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2009, 07:26:49 am »
 :'(  Thoughts and prayers are with you.

What I do different:   I would've tried to save more money before we came.   I also would've brought lots and lots more clothes (and shoes)  if I knew how expensive they were in NZ.   Gave an enormous amount of clothes away in SA before we left and now I am unable to replace them because I just can't afford it!   
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 07:49:32 am by Jackie »
Arrive in NZ in August 2008
WP received October 2008
EOI submitted April 2010
ITA received April 2010
PR Application Submitted 07 July 2010
PR Approved 18 February 2011