Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Giving birth in NZ - on vistor/work permit - please help?  (Read 1430 times)

Offline SI

Giving birth in NZ - on vistor/work permit - please help?
« on: January 09, 2009, 02:31:07 am »
Hi,

I haven't posted anything yet. We arrived about 6 months ago. My partner got a job offer in SA. We have settled in Wellington. Two weeks after accepting the job (and resigning in SA) we found out that we are pregnant and I am due mid Feb.

We are both on a 5 year work/vistor permit/visa. Firstly I was told, just to complete a form & the baby will get automatically get the immigration status we have. That was incorrect info. Apparently after we receive the birth certificate & apply & receive a passport, we have to submit a vistors permit application for the infant.

The baby has to do a medical (without x-rays) - I have following questions:
1. Do they need to take blood tests? Don't like the fact of taking so much blood from an infant & with all the other vaccines etc, the poor thing will be poked by needles enough.
2. Whilst we wait for the passport (takes up to 8 weeks), will she be covered by national health care, like we are?
3. Basically, if for any reason, they don't grant the baby a visa... what does one do??? I mean we both have 5 year visas??

I would appreciate any information from someone that has done this before - based on a work permit/visa. For residence the process is easier - you just complete a form and send it in & the child gets your status.

Thanks, Ilse

Offline magusta

Re: Giving birth in NZ - on vistor/work permit - please help?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 02:40:33 am »
Hi there,

Congratulations on your pinkfoot! Can't answer all of your questions, however, our son was sickish and on a visitors visa, we went to the medical centre and I showed them my passport + WP.
They were happy enough with that, the doc saw him and his meds was free. He now has his NHI number and the free healthcare provided for kids under 5, immunizations etc. Have you registered with plunket yet?

I subsequently applied for WP's / Student visa's for the wife and kids, Nathan was issued with a 3 year visitors visa...our PR application is still pending though. I can't recall if they took bloods from him when we did our PR medicals, but am quite certain they didn't.

I haven't heard of a 5y WP yet, but if you have anything longer than a 2y WP, they're quite happy.

In my opinion there's no way that your baby will not be granted a visa. It's just bureaucracy/formalities.

I think your baby will still need to get a SA Passport/Birth cert. (you can do this via the embassy in Australia) If you had PR, the baby would've been granted the same status as yourselves.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 02:50:42 am by juan.buys »

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 02:40:33 am »

Offline SI

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 02:44:02 am »
thanks - no haven't registered yet, will check with the midwife when I see her next week!

Offline magusta

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 02:53:00 am »
I keep on modifying my previous post. My mate had their daughter here, the even received parenting classes before the birth. They were very happy with everything around the pregnancy/birth.

:gl:

Offline SI

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 03:06:19 am »
Have had excellent midwife & maternity service here - already done birth classes... really impressed, no wonder Kiwi's are so social, it starts from such a young age :), so many free programs one can join after birth - makes it easier for woman that has to stay home to meet people.

Was just worried that the infant wouldn't be covered for the period after birth until she gets her own visa & about the blood tests.

We were under the assumption we would be getting 2 year WP in August when we arrived, apparently from Aug 08 they have a 5 year skilled WP...same benefits as 2 years just longer...gives us time to decide if we want residency, want to stay for a year first.

We both hold a EU/German Passport, so will apply directly in Wellington, they told us, it takes up to 8 weeks. Also hold SA passport, but decided to do all on German, makes travelling easier ;)

Offline magusta

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 03:49:16 am »
ah deutsch, ich sprechen nur bischen deutsch und, une petit peu francais, mais jai..."digress"....

anyway, previously life...i reckon the kiwi's are geared towards kids and family. considering the situation around education in other countries they're not too bad either.

as i told my wife - you always see the naughty ones being naughty - the well behaved ones don't spend their time screwing up in public.

Suppose you'll find that everywhere, it's a small country, so bad things are more noticable.
{ i have the lost boy racer generation in mind } I'm off topic now.

Good luck with the last bits of your pregnancy and new start in a new country. Having kids does make things easier like networking, etc. Lastly Welcome to the forum  O0

Offline Saturn_Moon

• Certified Addict
  • Auckland, New Zealand
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 10:35:23 pm »
Hi there SI

:clap: Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for your interesting post.  O0

If you don't mind me asking, what line of work are you and your OH (other half) in?

Take Care

S_M

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 10:35:23 pm »

Offline Feather

• Resident
  • Heather - Kaiapoi, Christchurch
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 07:21:58 am »
Hi SI and welcome to the family  :clap:
Unfortunately I can't answer your questions, will be very interesting to read your story as it unfolds.

Offline SI

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 10:21:25 pm »
Thanks everyone!

S_M, My partner is a Software Architect & we only contacted one employment agency from SA and within 2 weeks of contacting them, he had a job... so for us this entire process went really quickley, as we did everything ourselves. I was a Project Manager in Tourism/Incentives in SA, but since I was pregnant moving here I have only done a odd temp job.

Did all the visa applications ourselves once in the country. I have spoken again to immigration and it seems once the child is born & you have the birth certificate you just send a form (1137) in with the birth certificate (and passport if you have one already). The child gets the highest immigration status of the parents. So, in our case as we both have 5 year work permit, she will get a 5 year visa. If one of us had PR or citzenship, the baby would get that.

But seems they gave me the wrong info before, about the baby applying for a visa, medical etc....will double check again in a few weeks & let you know what it turns out to be in real life :). At least this way, one doesn't have to pay all these fees again...