Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: CONFUSED about Tax Clearence  (Read 4800 times)

Offline sandyb

Re: CONFUSED about Tax Clearence
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2009, 09:25:16 am »
I'm not saying a word to SARS, just phoned them to change my address and email account.

There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Offline Snoozy

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2009, 09:56:45 am »
Really not such a big issue. I got tax clearance in case I ever need it here (haven't yet), but didn't give them any of that info. In any event, there are MANY overseas investors with property etc in SA, and with SA bank accounts, so can't imagine something like that happening. We still have all accounts in SA amd our accounts in the UK, and no issues

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2009, 09:56:45 am »

Offline jafa77

• Certified Addict
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2009, 10:29:43 am »
I told SARS nothing. Left on one way and WP.

gave mom power of attorney and once I had transferred money to cover all debts etc then I got my mother to close my accounts. I also then told SARS that I am not longer tax resident in SA. I didnt tell them where I am though. I want the ANC to know as little as possible about me. Its such a pleasure to know that not one cent of mine goes to those criminals anymore. :)

Offline jafa77

• Certified Addict
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2009, 10:31:51 am »
Onix, get advice first. I used to work at Standard Bank forex years ago and I remember us freezing accounts of people immigrating (on the instruction of the Reserve Bank).

rather say nothing if you can, and if you are not taking huge amounts out of SA.

Offline Thaniasa

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2009, 11:09:39 am »
I'm also confused at the moment  :confused:

We are going out with a one-way ticket and PR, so I thought we should rather fill out the IT21a form (just to be safe).

...but now, going through everything on the form, I'm starting to get confused and have doubts about filling it out at all.

Apparently you need to submit this form with a MP336, but the thing is we are not applying for a Settling in allowance, we already have an account in NZ (and we had been issued a tax clearance cert. when we transferred money to this account).

Furthermore, what will happen if you specify on this form that you are not going to return to SA? Will SARS inform the bank to freeze your account...we are going to keep open our accounts b'coz we still have a property here that we are going to rent out (and we still have bond payments too).

Do we give SARS details about our annuity and pension funds and submit it together with this form? Obviously the pension fund will only be paid out in two or 3 months after we stopped working, and by then we are not in SA any more.

What will happen if you simply ignore the IT21a form and just tell everyone we are going to work in NZ only temporarily? Or just don't tell anyone we are not returning?  :whistle: ?

Onix, don't fill in that form if you are only going on a PR.  Just register on SARS e-filing (on the internet) - this is if you still want it.  Looking at the other posts, you might not require it.  I am going to collect mine later on today ... don't want anything to stand between me and my new country!!!  Remember to cancel your TV licence as well - I send a mail to them and the lady was very helpfull.  Only need to mail them copies of my flight ticket and a letter from the shipping company stating that they do take my TV out of SA.  I will keep these mails - as proof.

Offline CarolynSG

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2009, 08:32:46 pm »
Well just to let you all know, my hubby applied for Tax Clearence this morning via the e-filing website, and was contacted during the day to say that ts completed & he can go collect when ever he can.  That was really painless and so fast! 
On the other hand, I am still trying to apply for a Tax number to get my Pension Fund paid out...   Seems like that on the other hand will take some time ...  >:(
Carolyn & Graig
Queenstown, Central Otago Lakes District

Offline Feather

• Resident
  • Heather - Kaiapoi, Christchurch
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2009, 12:40:42 am »
oinx, if you are doing an official immigration then you will need to complete the MP336.  The settling in allowance allows you to get your money to assist you to settle in your new homeland.  Also by completing the MP336 the Reserve Bank will freeze 1 account, you will have to close all other accounts, the 1 the freeze is the one they use to monitor how much money you take out the country.  It is also the one you use for your property in SA.
You give the bank all the details of your annuities and pension funds, the bank becomes the holder of the policies, not the company pension fund.  There is only ONE problem.  If you return to SA before the 4 year time limit, your immigration is considered failed and you will have to return some money with you, a fairly large sum. 

I had not worked in SA for about 5 years prior to our immigration and I had to do a Tax Clearance as well, took 10 minutes to get done.  Just stating that my Tax was in good standing, meaning that I did not owe SARS anything.

We did the official immigration and completed all the documents, and have not had any problems.  We don't intend going back to SA except on holiday.  We had DH's Tax Consultant assist with many of the forms.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2009, 12:40:42 am »