Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: It's almost been 3 weeks  (Read 1252 times)

Offline polar bear

It's almost been 3 weeks
« on: February 05, 2010, 03:23:58 am »
Hi everyone...

I have arrived in NZ two weeks and few days ago...

The first impression... wasn't great.... just because qantas managed to leave all our baggage behind... somewhere unknown location....  :idiot2:

So he had to be in the same clothes for two days.... :( until they tracked them down and brought it to us...

The no. they gave me to call them was unavailable every time I called... so really wasn't impressed....

Nothing to do with NZ itself I suppose...

Now we have kind of settled down in Auckland... very close to sky tower... walking distance to the university.. it can get little noisy during the weekend but other than that we are enjoying our time in NZ so far..

We really haven't had time to look around yet. But hoping to do so real soon...

We are still looking for a car to buy so...

My OH is still still looking for a job... well he only started looking this week.. so...

Oh one thing I want to ask... when you apply through seek or something and don't hear from them.. should you assume your application was unsuccessful?

Because I thought it was norm to email you we regret letter but sometimes we just get no response what so ever...

It doesn't even say assume your application was unsuccessful if you don't hear from us in X days...

Anyhow... Frodo/Maya don't hesitate in coming over specially now you have a PR.

It's beautiful place and walking around at any time of the day knowing that you are safe is really something...

I know uncertainty can be quite scary as it was and it still is for us...

But I'm quite enjoying the new challenge and new environment.

Hope to see you guys soon here.

For everyone else who are already in NZ... now I understand when you guys say you regret not doing this earlier... :)

Offline frodo/maya

• Certified Addict
  • North Shore
Re: It's almost been 3 weeks
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 06:22:54 am »
Thanks Polar bear! can't wait to get there!!!

We are also busy looking for work via Seek etc. and I must admit they are quite I think it is because of the schools that only started on Tuesday so let's hope that everything picks up by next week. I have everything crossed for you guys on the job hunting part!

Enjoy and keep us posted!!

:)

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 06:22:54 am »

Offline Anna007

• Browns Bay, NZ
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 07:44:28 am »
Kia Ora polar bear !

In my 6 month experience (of job hunting ) on SEEK/TRADE ME etc I received rejection letters in 70% of cases.

Hope you enjoy all that’s new and wonderful NZ have to offer  O0 !

:gl: with all things still to come (car, job etc) !
"What we see depends mainly on what we look for"

Offline SusanJ

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 09:11:51 pm »
WELCOME!!

Glad to hear you're enjoying Auckland so far. It is noisy at night and on weekends as everyone is out and about being normal - and living in the city is unfortunately going to come with that. :)

I found that I got acknowledgements to job applications from most of the agencies I applied to within a couple of days or so. And then the rejection letters would come within a couple of weeks or so once they'd gone through and picked their candidates. So hang in there!!

07/10/2009: EOI Submitted (TICK)
08/10/2009: EOI selected from pool (TICK!)
19/11/2009: ITA received (TICK!)
25/11/2009: ITA submitted (TICK!)
20/05/2010: PR granted (after waiting 2 months for a police clearance!)
27/05/2010: Passports submitted
02/06/2010: Passports returned - YAY!!!!!