Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Our time has finally come! WE ARE HERE!!!  (Read 26115 times)

Offline El

Re: Our time has finally come! WE ARE HERE!!!
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2009, 09:43:29 pm »
What super news... amazing what a positive attitude brings!  We're holding thumbs for you guys!
 :clap:

Offline Saturn_Moon

• Certified Addict
  • Auckland, New Zealand
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2009, 12:05:00 am »
How many are you applying for on a daily if you do not mind me asking?

As many as we can - depending on what is available each day and if our experience fits the job advertisement. Apparently it will get busier from February but we will have to wait and see...

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2009, 12:05:00 am »

Offline Alta van zyl

« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2009, 07:44:31 am »
They had a program on TV during the week about the same jobs being advertised by 4/5 agents and that creates a false number of actual jobs available.  The presenter spoke to one of the bigger agents and she said they are not interested in email's - if you believe in yourself you will pick up the phone and speak directly to them.  This was the view of one agent and just a bit of info I want to share.

Offline Bevmac

« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2009, 09:04:04 am »
Shew!!!

Thanks Alta thats very interesting to know!!

Offline Saturn_Moon

• Certified Addict
  • Auckland, New Zealand
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2009, 11:34:25 pm »
 O0 Thanks Alta

Yeah, I watched the programme yesterday and it is an eye-opener. Fortunately we are already in NZ so it is easier for us to call and follow-up from here.

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2009, 01:23:08 am »
:clap: welcome home guys :clap:

Offline Saturn_Moon

• Certified Addict
  • Auckland, New Zealand
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2009, 04:14:21 am »
 O0 Thanks again everyone

DH and I both had downers this week - I felt depressed because I really want to start working and carry on with our lives - the stress is unbelievable. DH was really homesick and missing his mum - but we were there for each other and got through it...

Haven't had anything definite yet i.e. interviews. We have a few applications and got quite a couple of 'NOs' already. We know we have only been here for 1 week but the frustration and waiting is killing us. We try to find things to do other than sitting in front of the PC all day applying for jobs.

DH and I got a lift today to Chch and spent a bit of time there - just hanging around and bought DH a long-sleeve shirt cause we couldn't find one the last time and we also just hung by the Cathedral Square and Victoria Square love both of the places. Lots of shade and park benches. The temperature has been a scorcher but really enjoying it because it was so cold when we were here last on honeymoon. We caught the bus back just for the experience of communting. We enjoyed it quite a bit.

We are going to the beach late afternoon tomorrow and then the meet-up on Sunday - really looking forward to both. Then another week of applications....

So, we will just push on and push forward and will hopefully have good news in a couple of weeks or so...

Can't help feeling down and demotivated when we keep getting negative answers especially the frustrating 'sorry we can't help you if you don't have a work permit. We understand the frustration that you can't get a work permit without a job offer and visa versa but we wish you all the best in finding employment'...  :tickedoff: almost drives me insane

But we will persevere - we have to - it's just so frustrating - we are so use to SA time (everything must be done yesterday) that it will take some time getting use to kiwi time - but I'm sure those who have been in this situation can understand how it feels to have your life hanging in the balance...

« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 04:01:53 am by Saturn_Moon »

« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2009, 04:14:21 am »

Offline Mongrel Mobster

« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2009, 05:42:14 am »
S_M Hang in there my dear. It will happen, I am also still looking for work and we been here 2,5 months. Just the wrong time of year they say and it will get better.

Please PM us a phone number so we can contact you folk and be there for you guys.

:gl: :gl: :gl: :gl: :gl: :gl: :gl: :gl: :gl: :gl: :gl: :gl: :gl:
Kind regards,

Edwin

Offline M and G

« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2009, 06:20:13 am »
S_M and Edwin wish you  :gl:  :gl:  :gl: and all the best with the job hunting and hope you find something soon. Hang in there it will happen  :gl:  :gl:  :gl:

Offline Feather

• Resident
  • Heather - Kaiapoi, Christchurch
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2009, 06:53:54 am »
Hang in there!! I know how frustrating it must be for you!
Wishing you all  :gl: with the job search.
While you are searching we are praying that we don't end up loosing a job!  :thumbdown: All due to economic down turn  :thumbdown: all very  :confused:

Offline ANTONK

• Resident
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2009, 09:32:16 am »
Saturn & Edwin - just hang in there as things will work out  O0  :gl: :gl:

Offline Saturn_Moon

• Certified Addict
  • Auckland, New Zealand
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2009, 10:30:15 am »
Hang in there!! I know how frustrating it must be for you!
Wishing you all  :gl: with the job search.
While you are searching we are praying that we don't end up loosing a job!  :thumbdown: All due to economic down turn  :thumbdown: all very  :confused:

Hey Heather
Thanks for your message and hope that things don't go wrong for you guys - thinking of you and wishing you  & everyone all the best during this difficult time...

« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2009, 10:30:15 am »

Offline Bevmac

« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2009, 12:37:04 pm »
Hang in there, the RIGHT job is out there it will come along at the right time you'll see  O0

:gl:

Offline Snoozy

« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2009, 08:37:02 pm »
Hey Saturn. Thinking of you guys. Although it's way hard, give it time and try not pressure yourselves too much in the first month...they aren't very quick here, and often just discard CV's. It doesn't reflect on you personally in any way... And all those letters that arrive in the post saying 'no' - try ignore them - they're good to fill the recycling bag, and that's it. Try not take them personal. Things will work out in the end  :gl:

Offline Etresia

« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2009, 06:44:13 am »
Hey Saturn,

How are things going?  hope you guys are well!! Am sure that there is a job opportunity out there for you, hang in there!!!! :) :gl: