Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Our time has finally come! WE ARE HERE!!!  (Read 26128 times)

Offline ANTONK

• Resident
Re: Our time has finally come! WE ARE HERE!!!
« Reply #105 on: February 13, 2009, 10:15:30 am »
 :gl:  :gl:  :gl: Saturn

Offline Saturn_Moon

• Certified Addict
  • Auckland, New Zealand
« Reply #106 on: February 13, 2009, 11:42:37 am »
We need a smiley that can hug and one that can hold thumbs and then i would send a whole page to you  :gl:

:hug: like this one?!  ;) - wow these new icons are awesome - thanks Nolan!  O0

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #106 on: February 13, 2009, 11:42:37 am »

Offline Saturn_Moon

• Certified Addict
  • Auckland, New Zealand
« Reply #107 on: February 13, 2009, 12:40:51 pm »
Well, my DH's interview was only at 12pm this afternoon (13 Feb) so we caught a train from Porirua train station into Wellington CBD - we decided to buy the 10 day pass because it works out cheaper than individual tickets and we will be in Wellies a couple of times to come.

From what we have been told, the transport system in Wellies is excellent. Anyways, the views are stunning on the way to town (some of them anyway) and then you go through 2 tunnels (this applies for cars as well) and enter the outskirts of the CBD. We have been to the 3 main/largest cities in NZ (AUK, Chch, Wellies) and have noticed that tagging is a serious problem in certain parts of Wellington - in the industrial sections close to the train station in the CBD - there was almost not a single vertical surface without some or other tagging on it (some where quite pretty but overall it was a real eye sore).

We went to the i-site information centre and got some maps. First checked out where exactly the place was that my DH was to be interviewed and then trundled off to the Te Papa Museum - The Gateway to New Zealand. Wow, what an amazing and huge place.  :heeha: We were in there for over 2 hours and barely covered a tiny section of the 1st floor. Looking forward to when we go back to check out some more of it.

Made our way to the building for my DH's interview and I stayed at the coffee shop downstairs and had some tea while he went up for his interview.  :coffee:

He was gone approximately 45 minutes and I was waiting with baited breath. I have so far learnt to be sceptical yet positive, not to get my hopes up too quickly but also not to be too cynical.

To cut a long story short he said that the interview went extremely well. He has a very good feeling about it. The conversation even went as far as him asking if it would count that he use to be a field guide back in SA. I thought he was kidding at first and he wasn't and they (the agency) actually said it just might. (Not like an immediate job offer but should definitely show that he has much interest in the Department of Conservation (DOC)).

My DH was basically told that he has a very good chance (not sure exactly if it was a good chance to get an interview or a good chance to get a job offer), the only hurdle in the way is the work permit. (Which isn't really much of a hurdle). They told him that it looks like Kiwi's are returning from UK and OZ as well as Ozzies coming to NZ. So I guess as long as no Kiwi comes along with the exact skills this position requires, I think he should at least be able to get an interview with the DOC.  :heeha:

So sounds very good and he feels very positive about this position. He also says that he would love to work for the DOC because he has always been interested in the wildlife, bush etc. be it in South Africa or New Zealand.

He needs to work on a 'list' he received from them (job specs, required experience) and match this with the experience on his CV. Basically they don't want to try and go through all the jargon on his CV and are being lazy and asking him to give more detail on the experience which matched up with the 'list'. Hey, who cares, if that is what will get him the interview, then so be it.

We then went and had some lunch and decided to walk along the Wharf.  :sweat: It was great until the cold Southerly came in (I'm not crazy for a lot of wind but I will learn to deal with it) and we really enjoyed just walking and talking about all sorts of things.

Well I hope everyone has a great weekend and those searching for work or waiting for responses, I hope that you have a better week.

I'm finally off to sleep now.  :sleep:

Until my next post, take care.

S_M
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 04:09:30 am by Saturn_Moon »

Offline mommy2rhys

« Reply #108 on: February 13, 2009, 12:47:05 pm »
S_M - reading you words you sound at peace! No aggravation or anything in your voice. Has the relaxed atmosphere there already rubbed off? I am so glad that today went well for you and I am holding thumbs that all works out for your DH and he gets an offer soon!

Offline tmprince

• Certified Addict
  • Auckland New Zealand
« Reply #109 on: February 13, 2009, 06:27:08 pm »
will be holding thumbs , so when does he give the list back?
everything sounds great, your DH sounds like he has a great job I hope they give him a chance to try a different sort of wilderness.  :gl:
Lovies
Marcia
EOI submitted   13-01-09
EOI selected     28-01-09
ITA recieved     09-02-09
ITA submitted   24-06-09
ITA lodged       26-06-09
CO assigned     28-09-09
WTR approved  14-05-2010
Arrived 01-07-2010
PR March 2011
5 YEARS TODAY 01-07-2015

Offline Snoozy

« Reply #110 on: February 13, 2009, 07:13:19 pm »
Hey S_M... just a bit of encouragement - you have picked the worst weather this year to arrive in Welly - summer has been way better and should get better again. Way less southerlies, although the northerly doesn't disappear for too long here:-)

The CV changes seem to be quite a thing with the agents here - matching it to specific positions - I also had to expand on mine way back when I first applied. So no need to stress too much about that - just make the changes and send back to agent and see what happens.

:gl:

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
  • NZ, now Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #111 on: February 13, 2009, 08:09:19 pm »
You do sound more relaxed O0

:gl: :gl: Things seem to really be moving forward now :clap: :clap:

« Reply #111 on: February 13, 2009, 08:09:19 pm »

Offline Saturn_Moon

• Certified Addict
  • Auckland, New Zealand
« Reply #112 on: February 13, 2009, 10:42:52 pm »
will be holding thumbs , so when does he give the list back?
everything sounds great, your DH sounds like he has a great job I hope they give him a chance to try a different sort of wilderness.  :gl:

He has to return it as soon as possible - so he will be working on it this weekend and have it back to them by/before Monday.

Offline Feather

• Resident
  • Heather - Kaiapoi, Christchurch
« Reply #113 on: February 14, 2009, 03:30:18 am »
 :gl: guys!

Offline tmprince

• Certified Addict
  • Auckland New Zealand
« Reply #114 on: February 14, 2009, 08:47:06 am »
Check now you see I need a holding thumbs smiley !
Lovies
Marcia
EOI submitted   13-01-09
ITA submitted   24-06-09
CO assigned     28-09-09
WTR approved  14-05-2010
Arrived 01-07-2010
PR March 2011
5 YEARS TODAY 01-07-2015

Offline Bevmac

« Reply #115 on: February 15, 2009, 08:02:23 am »
 O0 O0  Good Luck S_M im sure things are gonn work out well now!!!

Things already sounds soooo much more positive!!!

Im sooo pleased for you guys  ;)

Offline bruceb

« Reply #116 on: February 15, 2009, 07:23:38 pm »
Good luck, guys, we're holding thumbs for you  :gl:
Left SA - Feb 2009 (holiday visa)
Job offer - Feb 2009
WP approved - Mar 2009
EOI application - Mar 2009
PR application - May 2009
PR approval - Feb 2010

« Reply #116 on: February 15, 2009, 07:23:38 pm »

Offline Saturn_Moon

• Certified Addict
  • Auckland, New Zealand
« Reply #117 on: February 16, 2009, 08:21:47 am »
We had a really great weekend and the weather was so stunning. A bit of the Southerly crept in and if you are not use to it like me it is a damn cold wind.

Saturday we went to Waikanae Beach where you can see Kapiti Island. Such a beautiful place. Walked a long stretch of the beach with friends and then back again. There was a dead shark there which had logs around it... so no-one could trip over the shark? On our way back a lady decided to plonk herself down by the dead shark which had been there for a while and started sketching it  :confused:  :o

Anyways, there is also a really lovely lagoon just before the coastline called Waimanu Lagoons.

We also went to a reserve on the side of the motorway (can't recall the name) but it has a circular walking trail was stunning but you have to be major fit because the first half is up a steep incline but well worth it if you are into that type of thing and the view at the top of the walk is spectacular.

It was so cool that we could park the car off the main road, there is a picnic table right there and you can just go on this walk. No security guards, no parking in closed off walls behind electric fencing or gates.

On the work side, my DH has an interview with an employment agency this coming Wednesday. He also got a call from a lady from another employment agency but the line was really bad so he will be calling her back tomorrow to get the full details.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 08:24:03 am by Saturn_Moon »

Offline tmprince

• Certified Addict
  • Auckland New Zealand
« Reply #118 on: February 16, 2009, 01:53:43 pm »
What no car gaurd trying to teach you to park  ;D
sounds like heaven, hope you have good responses to interviews
Lovies
Marcia
EOI submitted   13-01-09
ITA submitted   24-06-09
CO assigned     28-09-09
WTR approved  14-05-2010
Arrived 01-07-2010
PR March 2011
5 YEARS TODAY 01-07-2015

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #119 on: February 16, 2009, 08:19:52 pm »
car guards who don't even own a car or have a drivers license for that matter  :crazy2: