Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Our time has finally come! WE ARE HERE!!!  (Read 26111 times)

Offline Saturn_Moon

• Certified Addict
  • Auckland, New Zealand
Re: Our time has finally come! WE ARE HERE!!!
« Reply #240 on: May 19, 2009, 10:33:06 pm »
We have applied for our IRD numbers (19 May) and should get them in about 2 weeks time. Will be holding off on applying for the NZ Driver's licences - cannot afford it at this stage so will just hold onto the SA ones for the time being.

We are taking the bus up to Auckland on Saturday (23 May). Yes it sounds crazy but it is extremely cheap (especially when you need to travel at short notice) - $56 for both of us and we can take a lot more baggage than a  :flight: allows - and we get to see some of the North Island before life returns to normal. A nice little 'break' after all the stress we have been through.

We will probably be staying in a fully furnished apartment/studio in the CBD once my DH earns his first paycheck - It will be small but will be great because it is just the two of us, and then we don't have to worry about transport to and from work (my DH will be working in the CBD).

We need to save up as much as possible in as short time as possible so we can complete the immigration process and apply for PR.  :heeha: The last few documents we need have already been requested for or being organised to be posted to us.

We are only going to ship our goods over once we have PR. My DH is also arranging with his family in SA to get his car sold as soon as possible as we need that money to pay for the container.  :cost:
So glad that the cowboy :cowboy: part of this journey is over. Anyways, once things are happening a bit more up in Auckland I will give another update.
Looking forward to meeting everyone going to the Auckland meet-up soon.  ;)

S_M

« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 11:34:58 pm by Saturn_Moon »

Offline Clarikdeens

• Torbay, Auckland
    • The Paint Basket
« Reply #241 on: May 19, 2009, 10:41:56 pm »
Great news from you both.  :clap: :clap:
Looking forward to meeting you at the meet-up on 30 May. :D

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #241 on: May 19, 2009, 10:41:56 pm »

Offline Feather

• Resident
  • Heather - Kaiapoi, Christchurch
« Reply #242 on: May 19, 2009, 10:44:54 pm »
 :gl2: with the move, enjoy the trip!

Offline Saturn_Moon

• Certified Addict
  • Auckland, New Zealand
« Reply #243 on: June 03, 2009, 12:19:42 am »
I think it is time for another update:

So we went on the bus trip on Saturday 23rd May 2009 - left from Wellington at 9am and with some short stops on the way we arrived in Auckland shortly after 8pm. We went via Lake Taupo - which was so breathtakingly beautiful my husband and I decided there and then that that is where we are going to retire  8) - we also passed through Hamilton but it was so dark already we couldn't see much.

MandyH was kind enough to help us out with a lift and met us at the bus terminal at the Sky Tower - she also lent us a blow-up mattress and bed linen (  :1hug: ) which is nice and warm and we really appreciate it. She then drove us through to Malindy's place. Thanks again Malindy for being so kind to help us out for a couple of weeks.  O0

My DH received his IRD number last Thursday - only after 1 week of applying - I'm still waiting for mine - should get it any day now. I think they fast tracked his because he is already employed.

We are now in the process of looking for a place to stay in the CBD. There are some lovely places in a variety of price ranges and we have already organised to meet with one agent - and hopefully by the end of this week with some more - to see an apartment this Saturday morning (6th June).

My brother in SA has posted us our 2nd last set of documents required for our ITA and on Monday, 1st June 2009 we submitted our online EOI. The draw is this afternoon and I'm confident we will be drawn. Hoping we can get everything in before our medicals expire for a 2nd time (valid until 14 August and these are really great medicals with no problems whatsoever).
So the other roller-coaster ride has began.  :D

I am currently looking for work in the Auckland CBD and with this recession and only having an open WP who knows when I will be employed again but I will keep trying until I am.

I had a real down the other evening - just longing to be settled and be in a place of our own but also when we were at the meet-up this past Saturday (30 May) I heard someone cough and it sounded just like my dad - I quickly put the association out of my head but a few days later I was in tears missing my family so much.  :'(

It has been over 4 months that we left SA and neither of us want to go back but we really are missing our friends and family.  :-\

However, we are very grateful that my DH has got a job and we are now in the process of applying for PR.

:heeha: :heeha: :heeha:

Offline mandyh

• Certified Addict
« Reply #244 on: June 03, 2009, 01:37:03 am »
Thanks for the update S_M.
I'm sure I know who's cough it was :-)
Well done on your achievements so far and chin up about finding a job.  Something will come your way - just be positive and don't give up!

BTW - got a car boot full of things for you, just trying to find a gap to drop it off.

Offline Anna007

• Browns Bay, NZ
« Reply #245 on: June 03, 2009, 03:31:00 am »
Will be thinking of you Saturn_Moon  :wave:

We (me & the kids) have been here +- 5 months now. I also get my up and down days...

Hang in there, tomorrow's a new day  :coolsmiley: 
"What we see depends mainly on what we look for"

Offline Saturn_Moon

• Certified Addict
  • Auckland, New Zealand
« Reply #246 on: June 03, 2009, 03:56:05 am »
See ticker below

:heeha: :yippee:

« Reply #246 on: June 03, 2009, 03:56:05 am »

Offline Werner

« Reply #247 on: June 03, 2009, 04:17:10 am »
 :clap: :clap: :clap: :twothumbs: :yippee: :yippee: :yippee:
Job Offer Rec 17/11/08
EOI Selected 19/11/08
ITA Rec 13/12/08
ITA Submitted 06/01/09
PR Granted 05/03/09

Offline noodles mom

« Reply #248 on: June 03, 2009, 04:24:52 am »
 :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

its a great feeling, hey ?

keep your chin up - you have been thru so much already and remember how well you have coped  :clap: :clap: :clap:

keep us posted

cheers
R

EOI submitted 14 Jan 2009
EOI selected 14 Jan 2009
ITA received 27 Mar 2009
ITA submitted 20 Jul 2009
PR APPROVED 2 Feb 2010

Offline Mongrel Mobster

« Reply #249 on: June 03, 2009, 04:29:50 am »
Congratulations S_M and DH.  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Kind regards,

Edwin

Offline Saturn_Moon

• Certified Addict
  • Auckland, New Zealand
« Reply #250 on: June 03, 2009, 04:42:11 am »
Thanks for the update S_M.
I'm sure I know who's cough it was :-)
Well done on your achievements so far and chin up about finding a job.  Something will come your way - just be positive and don't give up!

BTW - got a car boot full of things for you, just trying to find a gap to drop it off.

Thanks Mandy.

Offline Thaniasa

« Reply #251 on: June 03, 2009, 06:47:05 am »
SM, I am so glad@ :clap: :clap:

I think we are all in the same boat - I miss my family soooo much, but on the other hand, I enjoy NZ also very, very much.

If you need anything, just shout.  Our container should be home in the next few weeks and I am going to have extra things (iron, iron board, kettle, etc, linen, cutlery, crockery, etc.)  I will PM you once we've unpacked.

« Reply #251 on: June 03, 2009, 06:47:05 am »

Offline Mumtaz (CapetonianInWellington)

« Reply #252 on: June 03, 2009, 06:57:33 am »
 :clap: :clap: :clap: I am so happy for your S_M. We will be in NZ for 1 year 26 June and I also miss my family terribly, But I LOVE NZ and cant see us going back to SA. It does get better.

Offline Paperdoll

« Reply #253 on: June 03, 2009, 07:23:00 am »
Congrats!!  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Another hoop cleared!! Great feeling isn't it.  ;D

And we have been here for 7 months now and also really miss the family as well.  And don't feel bad, we also have the tears that come out of the blue  :'(  but also just love being here!

Offline Saturn_Moon

• Certified Addict
  • Auckland, New Zealand
« Reply #254 on: June 03, 2009, 07:26:59 am »
SM, I am so glad@ :clap: :clap:

I think we are all in the same boat - I miss my family soooo much, but on the other hand, I enjoy NZ also very, very much.

If you need anything, just shout.  Our container should be home in the next few weeks and I am going to have extra things (iron, iron board, kettle, etc, linen, cutlery, crockery, etc.)  I will PM you once we've unpacked.

Thanks for that. We should be in our own apartment - 'fully furnished' - in the next week or so, so if anything is missing we would really appreciate it if we could loan one or two items - will let you know.

O0