Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Support Group  (Read 44223 times)

Offline Saturn_Moon

• Certified Addict
  • Auckland, New Zealand
Support Group
« on: January 27, 2009, 04:32:59 am »
Hey guys

I was thinking about starting a support group for all of us that are/were in the process of searching for work - mainly those that are already in New Zealand but those still in South Africa are welcome to join in...

It's just like, what did you do to make yourself feel better while you were job searching; to cheer you up when you got all those 'NO' responses or waiting in frustration for days/weeks on end for a response from the pending applications.

Whether you were in a position that you came over cowboy style or with PR looking for work or even if you came with PR and your experiences with trying to start your own business...

P.S. Please remember that this thread is to support one another, not to run New Zealand down or to complain...

Looking forward to everyone's responses.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 02:16:32 am by Saturn_Moon »

Offline mandyh

• Certified Addict
Re: Support Group
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 09:34:01 am »
This is a great idea SM. 

You have to keep hanging in there.  It took me 2 months to find my job (cowboy style).  No work permit - not interested.  I sat for days on the different websites looking and responding, then phoning and talking.  No WP no job!!   In the end I found using the smaller local papers easier as a lot of companies advertised privately.  I did not say anything about not having a wp towards the end and only answered that IF they asked.  I felt that at least letting them meet me and chat for a while would make them more interested.  Paid off in the end.

But believe me I had a few really nasty ones too.  One guy who realised I was from SA said straight out that he will not support immigrants and not to ever call his company again!  Nice!!

Good luck'

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 09:34:01 am »

Offline Saturn_Moon

• Certified Addict
  • Auckland, New Zealand
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 09:41:05 am »
Thanks Mandy  O0

Offline Awa

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 08:34:29 am »
This is a great idea!  :clap:  I have just started seriously looking since the beginning of Feb and I must say I do sometimes get a bit dispondent.    Most of the jobs have expiry dates two weeks to a month after it is advertised which means it's just one looooong waiting game.   I fear that eventually I will just take the first offer I get!!   In the meantime I had to arrange full day school for my daughter and aftercare for my son because if I wait longer there won't be space for them anymore and I reaaaalllyyyy don't want to land a job and then not have anyplace to put my kids.  This means that we are paying out extra money without getting any extra in!!   Very worrying and frustrating.   But like evertything else I KNOW this will work itself out - I just have to be patient!!   Just getting this out of my system is already making me feel better.   O0
Arrive in NZ in August 2008
WP received October 2008
EOI submitted April 2010
ITA received April 2010
PR Application Submitted 07 July 2010
PR Approved 18 February 2011

Offline El

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 08:55:41 am »
This is such a super idea!  I had such a roller-coaster of a day today!

At 8.30am I got a call from a contact of a contact who is a hotshot at the Canterbury Development Corporation.  I am meeting him for an informal chat on Tuesday.  I am hoping that he may encounter somebody who would be able to use my skills in their business and refer me.  So I was  :clap:  :clap: 

At 8.45am one of the consultants from an agency I am working with called me about a 3-6 month contract job and sent through this FABULOUS job spec.  Now I was really  :clap:  :clap:  :clap: I told her it was SUPER DUPER and I am ready to interview.  She assured me I will go this afternoon to meet the client.  So now I did my hair and make up and IRONED (I am SO not good at this) and lay everything out to put on at a moments notice.... wait.. wait... wait...Nothing happened and I was starting to feel a bit  :(

Then I got another 3 rejection emails for great jobs I had applied for - by this time I was  :'(

At 4.45pm I called the consultant who told me that the client was still deciding when to interview so maybe tomorrow or next week.  And I can't help but feel despondent.  So I organised a couple of extra cleaning shifts to make me feel a bit useful and bawled my eyes out for a good half an hour! 

Now I am ready to face the job search all over again!

Offline Alta van zyl

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 09:13:23 am »
Just hang in there, things will get better!!!!

Offline Bevmac

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 11:54:53 am »
This a fab idea - thanks!!

Shame El good luck something will come up and the right thing too - hang in there!!!  O0

Im sure im gonna need more and more support the closer the time comes for us to leave and of course when we get to NZ!!  3 months seems a long time but its not when i think we've been considering and slowly getting things organised for a year already  :o

Im sure my last 3 odd months are gonna go relatively quickly, just thinking about it makes me poop myself LOL  :P

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 11:54:53 am »

Offline Thaniasa

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 01:14:05 pm »
This is a great idea.  Think I am going to need the support group once we landed (1 March '09) in Auckland.  :crazy2:

Offline dance

• Certified Addict
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 07:01:42 pm »
 Support is what we do best here.  :smitten:

Opportunities come from the most unexpected places. I do not want to say to much now for fear of jinxing what may come to pass. Not making sense am I!  :o

Ok here's the low down. Rejection letters....... I no longer keep a file of them read and turf is my new motto.  Yesterday I attended another interview and after talking to them for a while they asked me if I would be willing to change direction. Another postition has come up within the organisation totally different to anything I have done before. They said they realise that I have neither the experience or qualifications for this particular position but feel that I have the neccesary energy and vibe required and if I was willing to take a chance they would love to teach me!! I thought I blew it by second guessing myself but for every negative that I came up with they countered it with a positive. I will be seeing them later today to give them my decision and discuss the position further.

As I said opportunity comes from the least expected places. Hang in there YOUR job is out there at the time that is right for YOU. If nothing is happening tell yourself that these rejections are for the best as it is not your dream job. It's all about the law of attraction. If you find yourself with a job that you would really like go into the interview believing that the job is already yours. That in itself projects well and makes you apppear more confidant. O0
When life throws you a lemon - make lemonade!

Offline Thaniasa

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 08:13:35 pm »
 :gl:  I agree with you on the law of attraction.   :gl:  Keep us posted.

Offline Feather

• Resident
  • Heather - Kaiapoi, Christchurch
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 11:29:22 pm »
El, Im so sorry to hear that you had such a bad day.  If you ever need a shoulder just call.
 :gl: with your searching

Dance sounds like you may be onto a good thing.  I just love it when companies see more in us than we see in ourselves.   :gl: with what ever decision you come to.

Offline Bevmac

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 07:12:16 am »
WOW dance  :o  thats brilliant, not many companies would say or even offer something like that!!!

Thats such a brilliant opportunity for you!!  You go girl!!!!  :clap:

Let us know how it goes???

What is the job they have offered and what does it entail?  What do you "normally" do?

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 07:12:16 am »

Offline dance

• Certified Addict
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2009, 09:37:56 am »
Bev I am normally a bookkeeper but have now been asked to take up a role as a support coordinator not much office time but loads of hands on interaction with families in distress. I am sure I can do this and am really excited although a little worried given my current situation. Anyhow should have final answer by early next week. Will keep you posted.
When life throws you a lemon - make lemonade!

Offline Bevmac

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2009, 09:41:09 am »
Thats fab dance  :gl: holding thumbs!!!!  ;)

Offline Saturn_Moon

• Certified Addict
  • Auckland, New Zealand
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2009, 09:04:40 pm »
Bev I am normally a bookkeeper but have now been asked to take up a role as a support coordinator not much office time but loads of hands on interaction with families in distress. I am sure I can do this and am really excited although a little worried given my current situation. Anyhow should have final answer by early next week. Will keep you posted.

Wishing you all the best, in both home and work.
Will be thinking of you this weekend. Be strong.