Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Let's talk about the weather  (Read 3361 times)

Offline Awa

Let's talk about the weather
« on: February 07, 2009, 01:07:06 am »
When we left SA for NZ I cannot tell you the amount of people who told us that we are absolutely mad because in NZ it rains all the time, the weather is *** and I might as well leave my summer clothes packed away.    :o   I must tell you that that scared me a bit.   I was never mad about the hot sticky humid weahter in Durban but I was also not looking forward to *** rainy weather all the time either.    For all of you still in SA don't listen to such utter nonsense.   From mid December it has been hot as hell here in Hamilton!   Today is suppose to be 30 degrees but if feels more like 40.   We spend the morning in the blow-up pool but from 11 it's been so hot that we couldn't go outside!  So to put your mind at ease.    It does not rain all the time, the weather is not constantly ***, don't get rid of your summer clothes.   We've had glorious weather in Hamilton more often than not.  Swimming in the river and tanning on the river bed is almost an every weekend activity! :clap:
Arrive in NZ in August 2008
WP received October 2008
EOI submitted April 2010
ITA received April 2010
PR Application Submitted 07 July 2010
PR Approved 18 February 2011

Offline Mongrel Mobster

Re: Let's talk about the weather
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 01:37:25 am »
Well right now I wish it would rain in Whakatane - the sunshine capital of New Zealand  :clap:
Kind regards,

Edwin

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 01:37:25 am »

Offline Alta van zyl

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 02:33:44 am »
Auckland's also very hot, but a nice breeze to cool down.  We have a ventilation system in our house, and the temperature in the roof was 52 this morning.  Yes it's hot, we arrived last year Jan, normal weather for this time of the year, but it last only until the easter weekend and from there it normally starts raining until mid December when the weather gets hot again.  The winters are long and wet, so yes Jackie they will return, enjoy the hot weather while you can. 

Offline Paperdoll

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 03:06:49 am »
Yes, Jackie, we also had that from people in SA - oh, it is wet and rainy there, you'll miss the the great weather in SA, blahdy, blahdy, blah.  And we were very aware of the very wet winter NZ experienced last year, as our friends in Auckland keep us up to date with the weather.

But honestly, Durban has had nothing but weeks and weeks and weeks of continuous rain since we left in November last year (3 months of rain!) - so what good has summer been there - whilst we have glorious summer weather here in the Bay of Plenty - and with no humidity - Yah, Yah!  :clap:  And I guess the next 2 months in Durban will now be as hot as hell with tons of humidity - don't miss that for sure.

And when winter comes - it is normally with shorter days and early darkness - so it is the time to be indoors more and to catch up with other activities, like reading, watching vidoes, indoor hobbies, etc.  So I honestly don't it rather being wet then - so that the summers can be enjoyed with better weather.

Offline Saturn_Moon

• Certified Addict
  • Auckland, New Zealand
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 05:24:49 am »
My DH and I have been staying in a bedsit on the property of Happy Expat here in Rangiora - South Island. The weather has 90% of the time, been scorching hot. It has only 'rained' twice in the 3 weeks we have been here. When the sun is out it is as hot as hell and you want to stay out of it if you don't have sun block on (with an SPF of 70 UVA & UVB I kid you not it is sold here). When it is overcast it is much cooler though.

Rangiora is to the North of Christchurch about 25 km's away.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 11:11:11 pm by Saturn_Moon »

Offline NicholaM2

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 07:20:10 am »
The weather in West Auckland for the past two weeks has been totally amazing. Hot, still and gorgeous most days, and a slight cool breeze if you're down on the beach. MUCH nicer than the freezing South easter that blasts Cape Town for days on end in the summer. Here the trees grow straight up. That should say it all!

Offline noodles mom

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 09:16:29 am »
the weather is whangarei for the past 6 weeks has just been glorious  O0
am sure the bad will come but who cares when it's this good now  :clap:

EOI submitted 14 Jan 2009
EOI selected 14 Jan 2009
ITA received 27 Mar 2009
ITA submitted 20 Jul 2009
PR APPROVED 2 Feb 2010

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 09:16:29 am »

Offline dance

• Certified Addict
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 08:01:30 pm »
Agree Noodles. I for one am loving the warm weather. So much beach time that I have built up a great golden glow! Although I heard someone complain that we are having a drought coz he had to water his veges!!!!
When life throws you a lemon - make lemonade!

Offline Feather

• Resident
  • Heather - Kaiapoi, Christchurch
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 11:00:30 pm »
Chch is only slightly cooler than Rangiora.  Since mid Dec the weather has been scorching hot, always do the "slip, slop, slap & wrap", put on sunblock (sunscreen), always wear a sun hat and always look for the shade.  O0
We too wish it would rain

Offline mandyh

• Certified Addict
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 03:57:15 am »
We're in Howick, Auckland and the temp inside our house is 30 degrees now, 4pm on Sunday afternoon!!  It's hellishly hot here and don't dare go outside.  It feels a lot worse than the 30 degrees we used to get in CT.  Not sure why - is it the humidity?

All our doors and windows are standing wide open to let the little bit of breeze there is cool it down.  But yes, the winters are longer here than in SA so enjoy it while you can.

For me, roll on winter, I don't cope in this heat!!

Offline jafa77

• Certified Addict
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 08:07:21 am »
I am enjoying the glorious Kiwi summer but hope we get some rain soon. It really is very dry at the mo. So glad we dont live in Australia. 50 dead in Victoria bushfires and 45C temps!

Offline firefly

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 08:57:50 am »
Just been for my first swim ie sea here, Really magic

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 08:57:50 am »

Offline ronaldd

• Certified Addict
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 09:38:29 am »
I am enjoying the glorious Kiwi summer but hope we get some rain soon. It really is very dry at the mo. So glad we dont live in Australia. 50 dead in Victoria bushfires and 45C temps!

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10555643

thats about 10 more than what dies a day in SA due to murders , every day.  shocking. 
2008-04-06 Landed
2008-06-06 WP.
2008-06-17 EOI
2008-07-16  Selected
2008-12-04 Residence application submitted
2009-03-30 Residence + RRV Granted
2009-04-07 Received passports
2014-07-28 Citizenship

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 01:17:35 am »
loving the summer weather, it's so lekker to zip down to the beach after work and spend an hour or two swimming / tanning, then still go home and spend a few hours before the sun sets. Just wish I could do that more often though....

Offline Shirls

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 01:47:21 am »
One thing about NZ weather... when its hot its damn hot, and when its cold well its  :censored: cold!

Just moved into our new home in Hamilton and we have been sweating it out for first week we have been here! Just like last year, we are desperate for some rain.

But thankfully we are not in Oz, or the UK at the moment!