Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Inventory for packing?  (Read 1927 times)

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
Inventory for packing?
« on: March 04, 2007, 11:45:36 pm »
What level of accuracy do we need for the inventory?  For instance, I've packed a couple of boxes of books, but there were tiny gaps inbetween, into which I stuffed a few ornaments that fitted.  Do I have to mention ornaments in detail, or at all on that box, or can I just say "books".  Will there be a problem if there is one or two non-book items in the box? 

Then, I know that wood items need to be steam cleaned or something like that, but what about other items, like a vase or pretty ornament... if I just dust it off and use a disinfectant swiper to clean it, is that sufficient?   Or does EVERYTHING have to fumigated?  I need to know before I pack any further please!

lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
  • NZ, now Melbourne, Australia
Re: Inventory for packing?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 12:02:49 am »
I can help!!! Go to the MAF sight, it's very helpful.

What we did and it was fine, we just said ie, books, ornaments. They didn't even look in the box. You must mention, wood and leather items especially if they've been near animals, ie, my horse stuff had to be checked. If you mention it, then they tend to trust you with your other boxes, but if you don't they they check everything! They don't really like wood to enter the country, but if you insist, then it is taken away to be fumigated and leather is taken to be cleaned, if they feel you didn't clean it well enough.
If you do have wood or leather, either put them in a box together or on top, otherwise you could spend hours waiting for them to check through everything.

My hubby had leather items in his tool box (just straps, I think) and I only had a bridle, which we told them about, they checked both and were happy. It took about 2 hours in all to get through the clearance.

Hope this helps??

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 12:02:49 am »

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 05:26:05 am »
Thanks Happy!

I also asked my sister who is already in NZ (and a citizen now), and here is her answer, in case it can help others that are still going to be packing:

Books are fine, the odd ornament inbetween won't be nec. to mention.
Heirlooms and ornaments, you can just mention:  clothing heirlooms or porcelain ornaments or whatever the stuff is made from - just a general indication.
We didn't fumigate anything.  I just cleaned and washed all things that needed washing like the vacuum cleaner.  We washed it with soap and water and marked the box vacuum cleaner.  On this end MAF asked how we cleaned it and then opened the box and checked and were satisfied.  Our camping equipment was all washed esp the poles which go into the soil.  Hiking boots were washed.  I think they ask you if you have been in a foreign 3rd world country in the last ? years.  Just answer 'no'. They don't want any foreign dirt or soil brought into the country. (Coming from SA, you guys may not be able to say "no")

Best not to bring basket and grass ornaments, or any animal product like an ostrich egg or feathered stuff, because these will have to be fumigated 1x over here and will cost you a fortune.  I brought a wicker basket, and they just turned it upside down to check for borer, and were satisfied.

Are you packing your own container?  That can be done if you have help.  One can pack much more economically if doing it yourself, but I don't know what the moving companies are like over there (USA) and if they allow you to pack your own container.  All the furniture gets wrapped in bubble plastic and brown cardboard.  In SA they now make rolls of bubble plastic double sided with strong brown paper - all in one, and this gets wrapped round all furniture and taped neatly.

So to come back to the marking of the actual item.  On the box you can just put a number and put a general term like: 'kitchen', and then on a separate piece of paper, mark - box 1: Kitchen, plastic (or crockery and cutlery or whatever the items are).  These lists get transferred to the lists supplied by the moving company which is the list that MAF go thru on this end.  They don't read the boxes, but go on what's stated on the lists.
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 07:31:38 am »
Cool, I had forgotten about the soil. I remember hubby carried his boots to show them to the customs guys without having to unpack them!

I'm now looking to get a container just to get my stuff to Chch! ???
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 09:08:30 am by Happy Expat »

Offline Shirls

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 08:59:00 am »
I must tell you, from experience the more detail you give them about what is in the box the better.

We sent stuff to my sis in Hamilton, including an ostrich egg and old silver wine glasses with ivory handles. We called the parks board and they came and took a look at what we had, gave us a letter saying it was all ok, and the stuff was "antique".
the MAF did not even look twice!

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 09:12:08 am »
Hi Shirls, Are you in NZ now or just your stuff??

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 09:51:46 am »
Wood and cane needs to be varnished then they are happy. Leave animal products like your african drums at home unless you are prepared to pay for fumigation. Same goes for seeds, like dried flower arrangements.

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 09:51:46 am »

Offline Shirls

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 11:49:15 am »
Hi happy!!

We are (unfortunately) still here in good ole SA!!!

We leave in less than 8 weeks for a LSD!!! I cant wait to see my sister and niece again!  :D
Can anyone who has done the flights let me know a good make of sleeping pills?

We have sent enough stuff over to NZ since she has been there to know what we can and can not send.

About the fumigation... hubby's business is a wood manufacturing one, so he has contacts that do fumigation for him. Would we have to fumigate our tent and camping stuff? I said to him that i think we should fumigate everything we want to take, and get a certificate from the contact saying what chemicals they used.

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 03:43:51 pm »
Shirls, if you read my sister's reply, you'll read that she said she just washed all the tent stuff and the boots, etc.  She didn't fumigate anything.  They just want to make sure it's all clean and no dirt is coming in.
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 10:21:30 am »
Hey Shirls, hopefully your LSD will go so well that you will be back to stay soon!!!! ;)

Offline rocketscience

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2007, 08:00:53 pm »
Hi, on average, how much does it cost to ship household goods to nz? I know it depends on how much stuff I have but what sizes are the containers etc and cost?

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2007, 09:12:11 pm »
Clinton, this question is answered HERE and HERE.

Guys please take the time to go through the site before just firing off questions. Everybody is happy to help, but we are all doing this in our spare time and simply don't have the time to re-answer questions because you haven't taken the time to go through the site.

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2007, 09:12:11 pm »