Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Customs Info - what you can and cannot ship  (Read 15553 times)

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
    • Oosthuizen family in NZ
Re: Customs Info - what you can and cannot ship
« Reply #105 on: July 12, 2010, 06:27:51 pm »
I really wouldn't know. Maybe just find out from the NZ coppers.
I know you can bring rifles that are not automatic or semi auto but apparently it is seriously a schlep from SA side and I left 2 rifles and 2 handguns behind. No need for it here. Might need it when I go back for a visit tho ...  ::)
Cheers, SAKB.
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
18/07/2007-Selected from the Pool
07/03/2008-Receive ITA
15/05/2008-ITA Submitted-(hou duim vas)
11/12/2008-PR GRANTED-(thanx a lot!!!)

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)

Offline thombatt

« Reply #106 on: July 12, 2010, 07:41:14 pm »
Here are some links about firearms licenses and importing of firearms

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearms_licence_%28New_Zealand%29
http://www.police.govt.nz/service/firearms/importing.html
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/nzopportunities/aboutnz/importantlaws/firearms.htm

seeing what they include under restricted items I'm sure a pellet gun is included.
looks like pistols are a big no no

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #106 on: July 12, 2010, 07:41:14 pm »

Offline Chan in Wellington

« Reply #107 on: July 13, 2010, 09:54:29 am »
Thanks SAKB, he said last night that he'll be leaving it here!!
'The only difference between a rut and a grave, is the depth'.

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
    • Oosthuizen family in NZ
« Reply #108 on: July 13, 2010, 07:37:20 pm »
Thanks SAKB, he said last night that he'll be leaving it here!! 

If I may ask where is he going to "leave" it??
I "left" mine with a gun shop and signed it into their inventory. I still remain the owner of the guns but they are legally bound to "keep them safe". So if ever I go back for a holiday I could sign them out and back in on my return to NZ. "Hypothetically"   :whistle: .
Cheers, SAKB.
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
18/07/2007-Selected from the Pool
07/03/2008-Receive ITA
15/05/2008-ITA Submitted-(hou duim vas)
11/12/2008-PR GRANTED-(thanx a lot!!!)

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)

Offline Chan in Wellington

« Reply #109 on: July 13, 2010, 07:57:44 pm »
@SAKB...not sure yet, but I'm glad we have got to the stage of 'leaving it here'.  My OH sounds like you - he will be lost without it....I will have to get him a NZ water pistol  :2funny:
'The only difference between a rut and a grave, is the depth'.

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #110 on: December 01, 2010, 09:29:30 am »
I'm bringing up this thread again, because I see a lot of people asking the same questions again.  Please read the first post on this thread, carefully.  It's really very clear.

A few weeks ago, our home schooler's group went to the Auckland Airport for a "field trip".  It was very informative!!  We visited the fire dept, the Security dept and MAF.  I was very attentive to what the guy said, and afterward asked a few questions that always come up on this forum.  This is basically what the guy said:

We focus on INTENT.  What is your intent with that which you bring in.  Also the main thing they're concerned about is the bio-danger.  I.e. dirt, seeds, spiders, and bugs.  Why?  Because NZ has a unique ecology and we want to protect it.  Every plane that comes from Australia gets sprayed as soon as the passengers disembark, because Australia has 200 species of mosquito, of which many are disease carrying, whereas NZ has only 17 and none of them are disease-carrying. 

SO... Furniture.  As long as it is treated wood, you're fine.  Cane furniture - spray it with DOOM and then let it stand for a day.  Then clean it thoroughly - make sure no cobwebs or dust is in the grooves.  Then cover it with sheets or something until the packers arrive. 

Ostrich eggs, animal skins, taxidermy - as long as it has been cleaned properly, and where taxidermy is concerned - that it's been done professionally, it is all ok. 

Products that are made/come from endangered species animals. NO.  Because you're not allowed to kill endangered species, and they will find out where you bought it and those blokes will get into trouble.  That goes for framed butterflies, Ivory horns, etc.

Guns - hand guns.  Unless you can prove that you're going to join a club on this end, and have the correct permits for it, NO.  Hunting rifles and other, you will need permits for, and Nolan has mentioned that it's a schlepp. 

All other stuff, clean it properly and you should be ok.  As others have said, declare everything.  That way they know you're not trying to "smuggle" anything.

PLEASE, if you are unsure, DO contact MAF directly.  They are very helpful and friendly, and would rather you contact them, and find out about something ahead of time, than you rock up here, and have a fight over something you thought was ok, but is not.
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline thombatt

« Reply #111 on: December 01, 2010, 10:56:01 am »
Good one.

As most people know I'm a bio security Nazi.
I prefer safe over anything else rather than take a chance

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #111 on: December 01, 2010, 10:56:01 am »

Offline kari

« Reply #112 on: June 19, 2011, 05:37:11 pm »
HI Colleen, what is your take on a down duvet??
K

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #113 on: June 19, 2011, 08:21:27 pm »
We visited MAF and Customs on Wednesday to clear a small load of ours that is coming over from Malaysia.  On my list of things I had "spinning wheel ".  He asked me if it had any wool on it, and I couldn't remember as there are no sheep in Malaysia but I told him I think it had a small amount.  BANG !!!  This is a bio-security risk and now today we are off to have it inspected and be charged.  Will let you know how it goes. 

So please ensure that you have no RAW wool in your belongings.  I also had two woven reed baskets, but as they were treated and dyed, he said it was no problem. 

Xmas decorations.  I had to declare them, but he simply asked me what kinds.  No wreaths, cones, etc .  Others are fine .

I asked about my stuff in SA, as I have an icelandic sheepskin that looks like a bears skin.  No problem.  It has been treated and cured.  My wooden masks.  No problem.  As long as they are declared.  Even if you have a certificate that it has been sprayed on that side, they will still check it to make sure that there are no goggas on this side.  Fair enough.

Please also remember this .  You CANNOT bring in your goods unless you have either residency or at least a 12 month Working Permit.  We were nearly bitten in the bum .  Luckily for us, our goods had been delayed by 3 months as they could not find a ship going to Nelson.  We had an 8 month permit only.  Our goods arrived a few days after we received residency, but we don't have the stickers in our PP as we needed them for this.  So we took our letter from NZIS, stating we had residency, and the Customs officer uhmmmed and aahed, and then finally said it was ok. 

If she hadn't, we would have had to pay customs duty on everything.

We also have quite a few brand new, still in their boxes, expensive electronic yachting equipment back in SA with our goods.  I asked her about this, as it was meant to go into our yacht but now we want to sell the yacht and bring this stuff over.  No, even though it is ours, because it is new (have no receipts, was bought off others ) we would be charged customs duty.  So now we have to work out if it is worth the duty as opposed to buying new. 

I thought we had thought of everything.  But we hadn't.  Their site is good, and you can email them and they usually get back to you within 24 hours