Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: What to do about furniture  (Read 2042 times)

Offline NicholaM2

What to do about furniture
« on: February 28, 2009, 12:22:11 am »
Hiya everyone

A quick question - we have been staying in a furnished short term rental, and have found a new place to move into next week. Our container was meant to arrive yesterday (wishful thinking!) and the company says it will only be here 27 March (again, wishful thinking?). So.... we must either stay put, and pay the $2000 rent for the month, while we keep the other place, or get a few basics together and move into our new place on Wednesday.

My question: where is the best place to get stuff that you will give away/sell in a few weeks time? I tried our op shop; there's a cute couch for $30, but we need EVERYTHING, and they don't have that (kettle/tin opener/bedding, pillows/etc). Does that mean I go from op shop to op shop, or are there fabulous op shops that I don't know about?

It's not a big deal, because we can stay put, but I am also keen to save the money and move on. I don't think it's going to cost $2000 to buy a few basics second hand things.

Offline firefly

Re: What to do about furniture
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 12:24:30 am »
You either buy on trade me or you can rent things like fridges stoves washing machines etc.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 12:24:30 am »

Offline mandyh

• Certified Addict
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 12:40:46 am »
Where abouts in NZ are you?

On this site one of the advertisers is "rent essentials"  - I think - search that and see what you can get from there.

Depending on where you are there may be people within your area that would be willing to help you out until the container arrives. 

Offline malindy

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 07:38:19 pm »
Here's an idea - and I don't get ideas often, so pay attention!  :2funny:

How about getting together some type of NZ starter pack which can be rented from sagoingtonz or anyone else for that matter?

The starter pack could contain things like a kettle, iron & ironing board, 6 glasses, mugs, plates, knives, forks, spoons, maybe a foldup table and chairs, mattresses or sleeping bags maybe?

Can't think offhand of what else may be needed - but sure  :smart: people with experience could add their 2c worth!

Just an idea... (imagine light-bulb smiley)

The Only Reality is the Here and Now - when I can make a Difference...

Offline NicholaM2

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 08:30:54 pm »
I think that's a fabulous idea, Malindy. I mean, I found everything I need on Trademe, with pick-up at 10 different destinations. On the other hand, it's a good way to see Auckland.

Every family arriving has to go through what we're going through. Who wants to keep stuff once their container arrives?

Offline tmprince

• Certified Addict
  • Auckland New Zealand
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 07:52:17 pm »
I love  :smart: people, by the time we get PR all these good ideas and more will have been implemented and going strong so i won't have to worry about a thing   :smitten:
Lovies
Marcia
EOI submitted   13-01-09
EOI selected     28-01-09
ITA recieved     09-02-09
ITA submitted   24-06-09
ITA lodged       26-06-09
CO assigned     28-09-09
WTR approved  14-05-2010
Arrived 01-07-2010
PR March 2011
5 YEARS TODAY 01-07-2015