Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Poll

Will you change your accent to a Kiwi accent, or keep your SA accent?

Keep my SA accent
8 (9%)
Consciously adopt a Kiwi accent
7 (7.9%)
If it changes, it changes, I'm not going to try change it
74 (83.1%)

Total Members Voted: 87

Author Topic: Kiwi Accent  (Read 9981 times)

Offline Clarikdeens

• Torbay, Auckland
    • The Paint Basket
Re: Kiwi Accent
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2009, 09:56:54 am »
 :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

Offline tmprince

• Certified Addict
  • Auckland New Zealand
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2009, 09:59:27 am »
Well hallo pa clark hope you are well ,nice to see you on board  :-*
Lovies
Marcia
EOI submitted   13-01-09
EOI selected     28-01-09
ITA recieved     09-02-09
ITA submitted   24-06-09
ITA lodged       26-06-09
CO assigned     28-09-09
WTR approved  14-05-2010
Arrived 01-07-2010
PR March 2011
5 YEARS TODAY 01-07-2015

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2009, 09:59:27 am »

Offline Clarikdeens

• Torbay, Auckland
    • The Paint Basket
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2009, 10:03:32 am »
I am always in the background and comment every so often. My finger is always on the pulse.Been busy setting up the studio which is starting to take of nicely now. Just posted our passports off today to Wellington for the "Balance of 3 years" blue stickers. :clap: :clap:

Offline Anna007

• Browns Bay, NZ
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2009, 10:06:50 am »
 :2funny:

You have to see it to believe it... 8)

Once in NZ a name change may be required by some…as some “Afrikaans” names just can’t be pronounced by the Kiwis… happened to me...
"What we see depends mainly on what we look for"

Offline frodo/maya

• Certified Addict
  • North Shore
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2009, 11:58:24 am »
 :2funny: :2funny:

Offline BlueAngel

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2009, 10:23:19 pm »
Just looking at the poll at the top.
Is it even possible to resist changing it ? My brother who emigrated to Australia has managed to resist for 5 years, but in the last 4 months has had an incredible change in the way he speaks. I cannot show any references for this next statement but I did hear once many years ago that resisting a change of accent in a new environment is indicative of a strong steadfast character, whereas a relatively speedy change to a new accent shows a willing and easy adaptation to a new environment.

Any thoughts ?

If you can't get rid of the skeleton in your closet, better you take it out and teach it to dance.

Offline Clarikdeens

• Torbay, Auckland
    • The Paint Basket
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2009, 11:31:56 pm »
Just this morning I phoned a business in Christchurch and when asked for my surname she could not understand me until I gave the Kiwi accent of Claaark :heeha: :heeha: Maaark, you are not alone in this!
I suppose there are times when one has to use the Kiwi accent.

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2009, 11:31:56 pm »

Offline WalJo

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2009, 05:52:29 am »
 :confused: Why is it a concern? It changes in anyway, like it or not. The people at my work doesn't understand me if I'm talking about my car (vir hulle klink dit so "cor") I have to say my "caaaaar" as all the kiwi'ners know. I don't see it as a problem at all. If you insist on not changing it "mate people a no' gonna kno wha ya say'en".

I sometimes do feel stupid to change words but then "wha eva"!! :2funny:

Offline Clarikdeens

• Torbay, Auckland
    • The Paint Basket
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2009, 08:16:49 am »
No, I do not have a problem - just stating a fact. Me, I'm an easy-going guy - I take it as it comes ;D

Offline addywads

• Hastings, Hawkes Bay
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2009, 12:21:17 pm »
I phone people all day and I have to adjust my accent to theirs so they can understand phone numbers and account numbers or we would be on the phone all day!  I do what I need to do to be understood, but all the time remembering that our funny little sayings are confusing to the Kiwis - those like "just now &  aah shame" and I make a conscious effort not to use them on Kiwis.  The Kiwi equivalent of ag shame is "poor thing" and there is no explanation for "just now" - its in a class of its own!  Someone asked me whats the difference between just now and now now  :) thats why its good to get together with SAners and sommer say it like it is broer!
Life is too short for regrets.

Offline Savayla

• Certified Addict
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2009, 07:12:34 am »
I have been told for years that I already have part of a Kiwi accent.  When the Kiwi cricket team were visiting they said I said "fish and chips " just like a kiwi, which apparently is "fush and chups ".  Well, that is how we say it in Natal !!! 

Having said that, I spent 3 months in Northshore, NZ,  and at the end , I was definately making the end of my sentences end with a rise .  Has anyone noticed that ?  The Malays speak like that too, so my daughter has been ending her sentences on a rise, so we think she will have no problems there.  The other one sounds like an american .  Can only think it is from her movies. 

Even though we homeschool our girls, they pick up everything from their friends.  Some of them makes me want to cringe.  For instance, the other day my daughter said "Athirah is going to follow her dad tomorrow ".  Which actually means, she is going with him.  When they start to say "please on the light " I am out of here. 

Hang on, I am out of here, in NZ in April next year !!!  Bring on the fush and chups !!!

Offline Smallfly

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2009, 07:33:07 am »
.  When the Kiwi cricket team were visiting they said I said "fish and chips " just like a kiwi, which apparently is "fush and chups ".  Well, that is how we say it in Natal !!! 

So I'm not the only one who thinks them Kiwis have an umhlanga accent !!
Never look down upon someone, unless you are helping him up.

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2009, 07:33:07 am »

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2010, 10:50:21 am »
Very interesting discussion indeed!

I don't think the kids necessarily try to change their accent, but that subconsciously, they know that to say things the Kiwi way will get them further.  It's more a thing of, "do things as the Romans do".  So they will adopt the accent because that's the way people here speak so they just do it too.

Now, you must understand, Jan & I left SA in '98 and headed to Texas.  We had our kids there.  Joshua, our eldest spent his first two years at home alone with me, and so had more of a South African accent in his speech.  Later after having spent some time at day care and then school, he would be chatting to his friends and say in our "class" with the American "a" like in "cat".  Then he'd turn to me, and automatically change to say "clahss" like the South African way "ah".  So to him, without even consciously thinking of accents as such, he simply knew that "mommy speaks differently" and would speak to me as though I wouldn't understand if he spoke American!  ;D
With Heidi who arrived in our lives two years after Joshua, there never was a SA accent.  She picked up on the Texan/American accent right away, as though she didn't have SA parents!  It was kind of weird to hear her speak American!
As for Jan, there were some words that he had to change very quickly or he'd not make it in the working field...  so "process" became "prahcess" very quickly, and "data" was "daytuh" not "Dahtah". :)
Myself - my American friends just LOVED my SA accent and would not listen to a thing I was actually saying, just to my accent!  :2funny:   I did eventually find myself changing certain things, like pronouncing my 'r's in words like "where" = "wherr" and saying pekaahn instead of peecun for pecan. 
The city we lived in was Austin.  To a South African, that is "awestin", but in American, it's "aahstin".  So yeah, there were a few changes I had to make, but it took a few years! And I learned to say "y'all"  ;D

Now, we've been in NZ for a whopping 2.5 years, and Heidi was the first to start saying "wheah is my brush?" within 3 weeks of arrival!  Joshua has a mixed accent - but he quickly learned to add the "-as" onto just about anything - cool-as, sweet-as, nice-as, super-as   :2funny:
And it's "Mom, can we go to the paahk?"
I haven't found anybody here not being able to understand me though, perhaps because when I speak English, I speak with an English-South African accent, and not with an Afrikaans accent. But they still pick up immediately that I'm South African.

On the other hand, when in the USA, all they knew was that I wasn't American... I'd get the following: "So, you'rre not from around heerre, arr ya?"  or "So, wherr y'all from?"
and when you tell them, you get answers like, "oh, I have a cousin that's a missionarry in Rio"  ::)  or "That's in Africa, right?"  :idiot2:  I once was told, "you speak English very well", and one of my friends was asked what it felt like to wear clothes!

So at least New Zealanders know something about South Africa, and recognize where you're from! On the other hand...  sniff.... I've lost my "celebrity status" here!  :'( :2funny:
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline frodo/maya

• Certified Addict
  • North Shore
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2010, 03:16:22 pm »
zatexnz - love the "ass" words, can only imagne once we are threre and the grant parents come to visit and "ass "is added to everything!!! they will flip! :2funny:

Offline Feather

• Resident
  • Heather - Kaiapoi, Christchurch
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2010, 02:52:19 am »
My SA friends DH has asked me "Why would you want to change your accent?" he even told me one day "yeah, your accent is out there", meaning that it is clearly South African.
I have noticed some words are being said differently by DH and myself, but not on a concious level.
So don't  :sweat: it.  We are what we are.