Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Poll

Will you change your accent to a Kiwi accent, or keep your SA accent?

Keep my SA accent
8 (9%)
Consciously adopt a Kiwi accent
7 (7.9%)
If it changes, it changes, I'm not going to try change it
74 (83.1%)

Total Members Voted: 87

Author Topic: Kiwi Accent  (Read 9980 times)

Offline leeannvh

• If its to be, its up to me
Re: Kiwi Accent
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2010, 08:57:57 am »
didnt read the rest of the posts (all of them) but if U ask the kiwis, ozzies, canadians, americans that all live here (not to mention all the other nationalities) they say that the saffers have the best accents by far. sound better than the british with our pronounciation, grammar.
The drama teachers say that Saffers have the most active tongues as well & really get their mouths around words & can be easily recognised

I must admit....Im not keen on loosing my accent & can already hear certain words changing due to working with kiwis all the time but hey...u wanna live in the country u have to adapt
if it means loosing my accent for the families safety & security then so be it

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
    • Oosthuizen family in NZ
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2010, 06:47:44 pm »
 :clap:  :clap:  :clap:
Well said leeannvh. I agree. We are the only ones that speak English phonetically correct. The rest comes with "accents". But like you said, can also hear my words changing. Cheese and enjoy. SAKB.
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
18/07/2007-Selected from the Pool
07/03/2008-Receive ITA
15/05/2008-ITA Submitted-(hou duim vas)
11/12/2008-PR GRANTED-(thanx a lot!!!)

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2010, 06:47:44 pm »

Offline robcraignz

« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2010, 11:40:11 pm »
Ja SAKB, can see that, you always spell Cheers rong. :angel: okay just pulling your leg. Saffers are phonetically some of the best elecutionists in the world - comparitive to some countries we are centuries ahead (I think Pygmalion - My Fair Lady summarised it well). The sotcs and the Irish leave you close to tears, there even are places where English compeletly disappears, in America they haven;t used it for years. So revel in your uniqueness and enjoy the journey to incorporating Kiwiana into your superior mastery of Her majesty's own langauge. Listen to her, and you might hear a Saffer accent. :angel: :angel: 

Offline robcraignz

« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2010, 02:12:57 am »
Jeez Schalk, you've reminded me of the worst ever - that damn Briscoes lady, sounds like she has something in her nose or throat, that no normal human should have. What an irritating snivel, grinds me everytime I mistakernly hear it, and can't get to the remote qiuick enough to change channels. :crazy2:

Offline robcraignz

« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2010, 02:18:50 am »
Surely you mean (phonetically) Menchusta, eina pain!!! :tongue: Not really found Welsh to be as bad as a broad Scots or Irishman, but maybe haven't known any real bad ones. Have a chinese client in (love your pronounciation of it) Johnsonville, fun to try undrestanding him. Would love to hear the guys trying to get to Porirua! My wife said she couldn't understand a word the Kiwis said when she arrived, but didn't take her long to fit in.

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2010, 07:45:34 pm »
Ja SAKB, can see that, you always spell Cheers rong. :angel: okay just pulling your leg.

What do you say when you have a drink in your hand? Now that is how I greet people  :drink2drop:. Cheers, SAKB.
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
07/03/2008-Receive ITA

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)

Offline Awa

« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2010, 09:38:21 am »
LOL I am only now finding this post and it was quite funny reading through it!   We are quite a mixgrill at home - I am Afrikaans and my hubby is an English speaking saffer.  I find that I change to the kiwi accent with some words at work in order for those around me to understand me better.   However back home I convert back to my usual saffer accent with most words.   I have adopted the 'd' instead of the 't' in some words though (like buddur instead of butter and wawder instead of water).    My son is a strange one as he actually developed an American accent (due to him struggling to talk the programmes that were used to teach him was American) and he hasn't lost that in favour of the kiwi accent.  My daughter who is 4 sounds just like a kiwi.  So when we walk down the street I think it would be quite confusing for someone overhearing our conversation  :2funny:
Arrive in NZ in August 2008
WP received October 2008
EOI submitted April 2010
ITA received April 2010
PR Application Submitted 07 July 2010
PR Approved 18 February 2011

« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2010, 09:38:21 am »

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2010, 09:32:55 pm »
 :2funny:  :2funny: I like your "mixgrill"  :2funny:  :2funny: Cheese and enjoy, SAKB.
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
07/03/2008-Receive ITA

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2010, 09:07:22 pm »
we were at the Auckland zoo on Saturday and Megan was about the shove her finger through the wire to stroke an African Grey parrot  ??? so I frantically told her not to. Next minute a lady next to us made such a fuss about how much she liked my SA accent  :o

Lately I have found that other folks are saying that my accent has changed and has picked up a bit of the Kiwi twang  ??? I haven't noticed it myself, so I suppose one needs to record yourself before you leave to know if it's changed or not ;D

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2010, 08:59:28 am »
I just love this thread....I had a good.. :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: here in OZ it drives me mad, as they refer to Maggie 2 min noodles....as Majjee... :tickedoff: I know it is their accent - and cant knock it and never will - but please people it is....MAGGIE and also bargain.....not baageen.... :2funny: I too find myself picking up the slang - although there is a distinct difference in the OZ and NZ accents....I always thought it was the same.... :whistle:

Each for his wonderful own I suppose..... ::) We (including our kids) all still have our good ol SA accents!!) I am sure the kids will change in the next couple of years....

Kiwiwannabe
~ Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened~

Offline Tui

• Certified Addict
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2010, 09:20:18 am »
 :2funny: :2funny: glad I am not the only one who gets the... :tickedoff:  :2funny: :2funny: My SA mate here was looking for winter duvets.....the shop assistant did not know what the heck she was talking about - as they refer to it as a Doona... :tickedoff: Hellooo?? What the heck is that... 

Kiwiwannabe

~ Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened~

Offline bardey

« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2010, 12:43:19 pm »
hi all

just to put a spanner in the works :-\, 'MAGGI" is named apparently after an Italian guy who started a company making all sorts of spices, etc, and his name in italian is pronounced "maajjee"...
so us saffers have been calling him by a woman's name all this time...! shame, poor dude  :D

bardey 

« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2010, 12:43:19 pm »

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2010, 07:40:02 pm »
 :2funny:  :2funny:  :2funny:
Sorry to say but then "he" should change his name. MAGGIE is pronounced with 2 G's....
Not 2 J's..... He "should blame" his parents....  :2funny:  :2funny:  :2funny:
Not the Saffers for "pronouncing" his name "correctly"...  :2funny:  :2funny:  :2funny:
Cheers, SAKB
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
07/03/2008-Receive ITA

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2010, 12:06:38 am »
The funny thing is we speak both languages in the house.
Our youngest Jonathan is 100% english and understands very little afrikaans lately.
Our oldest Chris still understands the language and with him I speak afrikaans 80% of the time in afrikaans. Eileen and I still speak in afrikaans to each other, it's my first language but I think english is and was always a close second. Coming from JHB the business language have always been english. It's just lately that the pronunciations are a bit different....  :2funny: .
Cheers, SAKB.
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
07/03/2008-Receive ITA

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2010, 02:14:37 am »
My hubby and I speak English at home, the kids are raised English, although I went to an Afrikaans school most of my life, so I can "gooi the taal heel lekker".  The only times I speak Afrikaans with my hubby is when we want to discuss something in front of the children, without them knowing what it is, and therefore being able to interfere.  >:D
I enjoy speaking Afrikaans to anybody whom I know speaks it.  As I am fully bilingual, i think in both languages and enjoy being able to mix my tales!
I speak English with an English South African accent, and Afrikaans with an Afrikaans accent, so sometimes people aren't quite sure about me, as the Afrikaners stand out a lot more when they speak English.   ;)
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen