Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: South Africans not welcome overseas  (Read 3177 times)

Offline ronaldd

• Certified Addict
Re: South Africans not welcome overseas
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2009, 11:41:02 am »
Good for you Ryan,  i got a few emails back, got some good feedback.. i just had to pop over to show face and they would sort me for a job... so .. when i came over i was in a recruitment officer interview for 20 minutes, i never saw that woman again...  They will get you here but if they dont like you then its finished and that that.

A friend (on the forum) got the green light, and then got here and was told he is too junior... the stress that he went through was not nice to see.. but got another job at the same company 2 weeks later. 

So even if someone tells you you can get the job.. untill you have the job, dont assume anything.

Saturn_Moon.  You guys are in wellies , right?  So if you are here,  you have the basic expenses.. accomodation and food.

If you wanted to stay longer,  perhaps see if you can lodge with friends for a while,  and extend your visitors visa.  As you said, your husband would have been retrenched.. you have nothing to loose now if you just stay a bit longer.   The rescession is on now.  Maybe  send m your husband's CV.. i will forward to someone. i pm'd you a while back.
2008-04-06 Landed
2008-06-06 WP.
2008-06-17 EOI
2008-07-16  Selected
2008-12-04 Residence application submitted
2009-03-30 Residence + RRV Granted
2009-04-07 Received passports
2014-07-28 Citizenship

Offline ryanrich

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2009, 12:01:58 pm »
I'm not assuming anything or talking about promises and job offers from agencies ronaldd. I was offered a job by my old IT manager at the company I worked for in Auckland previously, and by a old colleague I have at Telecom... So if a job offer entails a written offer of employment that expires within 30 days of receipt, yes I had 2 job offers.

I know exactly what type of emails you're referring to with promises of showing face and receiving a job and I'm not speaking about that. I worked in NZ for 6 months and know the story as well as the current situation there, and am not disillusioned...

I understand what you're speaking about though, and I also warn people against blindly following empty promises from the likes of recruiters and opportunists, because the situation you find might be drastically different from the one you expect. ;)

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2009, 12:01:58 pm »

Offline ryanrich

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2009, 02:09:29 pm »
Here's an article that seems to have a few positive messages. Yes times are tougher, as the world is in a recession, but NZ will still need a lot of skills, especially coming out of the recession, so things will definitely get better over time...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10562049

Offline ronaldd

• Certified Addict
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2009, 08:52:42 pm »
Ryan,  I am sure everything will be fine..  Congrats man, seem youare 100% ready to just start your new life here...

when you coming?
2008-04-06 Landed
2008-06-06 WP.
2008-06-17 EOI
2008-07-16  Selected
2014-07-28 Citizenship

Offline ryanrich

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2009, 08:13:04 am »
Thanks very much! You never know what will happen in the future, but I'm keeping my eye on the ball for now and trying to remain positive. It's really sad to me that wrong decisions by key individuals has caused this worldwide recession, and now decent hard working individuals have to bare the brunt of it... It's unbeliveable how many lives it's ruining.

I'm leaving on the 27th of April, so just over a month to go.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 04:04:48 pm by ryanrich »

Offline El

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2009, 08:25:27 am »
Gosh isn't that an ironic date to leave SA!???   :)

Offline ryanrich

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2009, 04:04:37 pm »
Gosh isn't that an ironic date to leave SA!???   :)

Hehe, I know, couldn't have planned it better if I'd tried. Only realised afterwards what day it was... :)

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2009, 04:04:37 pm »

Lea

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2009, 10:21:34 am »
A thing to keep in mind is that there are a lot more companies who have put recruitment on hold as they try and retain the staff they have and cut costs.  My husband's company (a big government company) as well as the company where I am temping at the moment have both decided not to hire any more permanent staff for the time being.  That is just two companies that I know of and I know there are more.  Even in fields with shortage skills there are so many more people who are applying for that job and ultimately you are competing against people who have "experience in the NZ job market" (as agents often say) and people who can effectively start immediately and won't have to wait for work permits to come through (which might take a while to come through).

I'm not saying it is impossible, but do understand the job market is most definitely slower than before and it has most definitely become more challenging to actually get a job offer.

And also remember that a work permit does not automatically mean you will get residency. Some jobs might really just be considered temporary.  I've seen employers write letters saying  how much they like the staff member, but none of it helped when it came down to applying for residency and whether that was a success or not.  So really research your options and chances.  For instance our immigration consultant on the North Shore who is one of the very good guys and always very honest and upfront - told me at the time that for instance a dental assistant was listed on the shortage list (the long term one) and that the job was considered a level 4 or something to that effect and that it might result in a work permit, but never residency (if this is the main applicant's skills and experience).

Offline Doreen

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2009, 11:16:08 am »
Ek dink hierdie is die regte plek om net weer te noem wat ons dominee vandag in die kerk gese het. Hy se dat ons asb mense moet waarsku wat NZ toe wil kom dat dit glad nie meer so maklik is om werk te kry nie en dat jy baie baie seker moet wees van jou feite, soos Lea hierbo noem. Hy se hy sien ten minste 1 SA gesin per week by sy voordeur met groot ellende... Ek het dit al voorheen erens op die forum gese en wil dit net weereens op die mense se harte druk - moenie kom as jy nie letterlik die werksaanbod in jou hand het nie. Ek kan verkeerd wees,(en dis net my beskeie mening van waarneming rondom my) maar ek kry regtig die idee dat al het jy PR maar jy is 'n Suid-Afrikaner, sal 'n Kiwi eerder aangestel word as daar een beskikbaar is. Die nasie staan bymekaar en dis nou moeilike tye...

Offline Amber

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2009, 10:18:12 pm »
I feel so sorry for this family, those that have been sent back and for those that are struggling! Unfortunately with the recession things are tough, for those that are here try and stick it out through the recession though.  I do home based care  for extra money and I heard on the radio Watties advertising for seasonal staff in quality control etc.  In fact things seem pretty busy here in Hawkes Bay.  Hey, if it were me I would even pick apples just to get through the bad patch whilst looking for work that I am qualified to do.
I agree, those thinking of coming cowboy style - now is maybe not the best time, those that are here hang in there and don't give up hope....EVER!
Amber
Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe

Offline Durbschick1

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2009, 11:02:32 pm »
There are so many people battling to get jobs at the moment, even my kiwi neighbour is battling. I get very depressed about not getting something myself but after all the heart break we have had so far I'm still confident that we made the correct choice coming here. If you are not on the recent shortage lists though, I would not suggest you come over just yet. We still have to do our PR... and we will not be able to sleep until we have it! Hubby is an electrician so I'm trying to keep my hopes up that it will stay on the shortage list!  :'(

Offline ronaldd

• Certified Addict
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2009, 12:40:27 am »
people make statements like ,  if you havent lost your job in 2009, it was a good year for you.

friends of mine this weekend said we are just about 3  years(or months, i might have heard wrong) behind the US in our rescession and US has not hit the tip of the iceberg yet.... I dont know how they calculate it but they are in that kind of stuff

bottom line,  it is going to get worse before it will get better.
2008-04-06 Landed
2008-06-06 WP.
2008-06-17 EOI
2008-07-16  Selected
2014-07-28 Citizenship

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2009, 12:40:27 am »