Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Howzit everyone  (Read 1037 times)

Offline Stuckie

Howzit everyone
« on: March 27, 2007, 10:11:39 pm »
Well, this is the page for intros - so here goes.  O0

We are a family of four living in the beautiful Cape.  We have our PR and the famous 'blue stickers' in our passports, house is 'nearly' sold, and we should be outta here mid to late June.

We started the process two years ago and in November last year, we were issued with the blue stickers - all that has kept us here was hubby being 'not so sure'.  Well, in February he phoned me at work and said "what the heck - let's just do it" - then the ball started rolling downhill very fast.   :D  We put the house on the market, got an offer within a week, all that we are waiting for now is for the final guarantees and then the SOLD board goes up.  :clap:

We got PR through the Skilled Migrant catergory as my hubby is a Diesel Electric Fitter and has been one for nearly 30 years.  So, according to everybody he is in demand over there. (Let's hope so), although he would love to do something completely different.   

Many of our friends think we are crazy to sell up and move to the other side of the planet with no job offers and no place to stay, but we reckon you only live once and if you never take that chance - you will never know. 

I do have a sister there and an old school friend, as well as all the people I have met from all over the world on the move2nz website (and I guess all the people I am going to meet here)  ;D

Sorry to ramble on, but I have spent the last hour reading most of the posts and I think this site is cool and it is so lekker to be able to chat to other SAFFERS who are on the same emotional rollercoaster ride.  :heeha:

Well, best of luck to all and hopefully we will chat soon.

STUCKIE  ;)

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
Re: Howzit everyone
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 10:25:35 pm »
Hey Stuckie, thought the name looked familiar  ;), welcome here. :)

Yeah, we know all about the rollercoaster ride, what can you do, it is going to get worse before the ride ends. We'll be holding thumbs for the house.

Where in NZ are you guys looking at? When do you intend moving?

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 10:25:35 pm »

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 10:49:03 pm »
Wow!  You sure did things differently!  Already got PR and still "thinking" about it!  :D
Well, I am happy for you guys though!!  And wow to get your house sold within a week!!!  For us, we'd love that to happen on the one hand.  On the other hand, we don't have PR yet, not even ITA yet, so if the house sells toooo quickly, we may land up in a pickle!  ???

Hope you have a good time!!!
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
  • NZ, now Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 10:56:23 pm »
Hey Stuckie, Welcome to the site!!

It's amazing how when you make that decision, everything just starts to happen. We believe that when that happens, then it's meant to be! O0

All the best! Ask away if you have any questions? I've been in NZ for 1yr 4months. ;)

Offline Stuckie

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 12:21:50 pm »
Hi all

Thanx for the warm welcome. 

Our tickets have now been booked and if all goes well, we should leave Cape Town on the 20th June.    :D 

As we are going over without any job offers, we have no idea where we will end up settling.  We are not too keen on Wellington, as I have had enough wind in CPT and Auckland looks a tad pricey to live in.  Although we believe and have heard that all the work opportunities are there.  We have looked at Hamilton extensively and I reckon we might end up there.

Our plan is to spend the first weekend with an old school friend of mine, and then hire a campervan, tour for a week, end up in Wellington to see my sister and then, as I say to everyone at home, where ever the wind takes us..............

Happy Expat, where abouts do you stay in NZ? 

Also, does anyone know if there are any rules regarding getting PR on Skilled Migrant and having to do that particular kind of work, or can you do what you would like?  The problem is that my hubby would love to do something completely different with his life, instead of fixing diesel engines the whole time.  :P

Well, better get back to work.  Will catch up on the weekend again. 

Chow4now

STUCKIE  :D

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 01:30:47 pm »
Hi Stuckie. If you have PR, you can do what you want to. If there are any restrictions placed onto your visa or permit, it is clearly stated on the visa or permit. You can see examples of it HERE.

Make full use of friends and family now, while you still can  ;)

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 06:17:52 pm »
Hi Stuckie

We are heading to either Cambridge or Matamata so we will be pretty close to you if you end up in Hamilton.    :)

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 06:17:52 pm »

Offline Happy Expat

• Veteran
  • NZ, now Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2007, 08:33:51 am »
Hey Stuckie, we are finally living in Chch and I can say so far very happy! It's lovely here and a lot cheaper then Auckland! O0