Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Average monthly costs for electricity  (Read 3806 times)

Offline !!DV!!

• The Venter
Re: Average monthly costs for electricity
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2009, 09:46:09 am »
Our bill is close to $200 (last one was $189 after prompt payment discount) with 2 Adults and 2 Kids, Tumble-drier is used almost every day, same goes for the Dishwasher. No heater, just the Dehumidifier the last week or so, not on the latest bill yet.

Offline mikkiblu

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2009, 10:46:51 am »
We are paying about $280 a month at the moment for 2 adults and a baby. We have two aircons which we try to use judiciously while at the same time not freezing. We are usually in the same room with the rest of the house dark. Try as we might we cant reduce it...?
Mikkiblu - would love to chat and make friends

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2009, 10:46:51 am »

Offline !!DV!!

• The Venter
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2009, 10:52:39 am »
Just got my Contact Bill earlier tonight, $225 for last month previous was $255 for 2 Adults & and 2 Kids... Using Tumble-Drier also everyday but no electric heaters.

Offline Mumtaz (CapetonianInWellington)

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2009, 10:44:39 am »
Thanks - We average around $260 per month and I also use to the drier ALL the time.

Offline maanhaarleeu

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2009, 02:29:47 pm »
Sorry to intervene but I'd just like to say that electricity prices in SA has really surged.
And now Eskom is demanding another 40% hike.
So if you want to compare, please know that SA doesn't have cheap electricity anymore.

So much for SA's prime Affirmative Action firm  :confused:
Auckland NZ, Howick

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
    • Oosthuizen family in NZ
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2009, 09:40:54 pm »
And now Eskom is demanding another 40% hike.
So much for SA's prime Affirmative Action firm  :confused:

So it seems Eskom is doing some "legal" "affirmative shopping" from their customers and there is nothing you can do about it, because there is NO competition to go too. Just pay up or sit in the dark and cold. Eish Baba. Saubona, SAKB.
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
18/07/2007-Selected from the Pool
07/03/2008-Receive ITA
15/05/2008-ITA Submitted-(hou duim vas)
11/12/2008-PR GRANTED-(thanx a lot!!!)

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2009, 10:11:24 pm »
I wonder if they are actually fixing the problems that was causing the blackouts a year ago, or if they are just running the network into the ground in order to keep it up?

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2009, 10:11:24 pm »

Offline Clarikdeens

• Torbay, Auckland
    • The Paint Basket
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2009, 10:28:55 pm »
It is not called "Darkest Africa" for nothing  :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

Offline kol1974

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2009, 09:50:58 am »
We stay in AKL, use the dishwasher about 3 times a week, the tumbledryer about 3 times a week (in the winter) and the heater probably once a week on average in the winter.  We pay average $160-00 in the winter and $100 in the summer.  We are 3.

Offline Harm

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2009, 10:23:30 am »
I wonder if they are actually fixing the problems that was causing the blackouts a year ago, or if they are just running the network into the ground in order to keep it up?

They are not fixing anything, so yes running everything into ground. No doubt you have heard about the 33% increase in tariffs for this year and there is talk of them requesting another 40% hike next year. :tickedoff:

Offline Awa

« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2009, 07:19:59 am »
We just moved into a new place just over a month ago.   Died of the cold as the house is MUCH bigger than the previous one.     Ended up running a couple of heaters sometimes right through the night!   Did we ever pay for that little luxury - $500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :'( :'( :'(  Thought I was going to die - but we got over it and now I'm bracing myself for the next one LOL!
Arrive in NZ in August 2008
WP received October 2008
EOI submitted April 2010
ITA received April 2010
PR Application Submitted 07 July 2010
PR Approved 18 February 2011

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2009, 09:39:29 pm »
Last year, we ran our wall heater (gas heater) quite a lot, as we have  a large house, and I also had the little electric heater on all day downstairs in our basement (where  my office is)... and yes we PAID for it! (also around $500 Jackie!).  So this year, I just put more warm clothes, and tried to reduce the little electric heater, to just one hour in the morning and one in the evening.  We only had the gas heater upstairs on for about 3 hours in the evening and 2 hours in the morning.  We bought electric blankets for all our beds, and would put them on for 30 minutes before climbing into bed, and then switch them off.  Our power bill for July-August, was only $257.  I don't use the dishwasher (as our gas heater for the water cannot supply hot water quick enough for our kitchen upstairs), but I do use the tumble dryer throughout the year. 
Our summer bill averages around $150 a month with the tumble dryer going at once every day.

One tip - run your washing machine and tumbledryers at night... low peak times and apparently therefore cheaper?  Was told this by a Kiwi friend, and that's what I usually do - do a load of washing after the kids are in bed, and then transfer it directly to the dryer before going to bed.
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2009, 09:39:29 pm »

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2009, 09:46:00 pm »
we have learnt the art of drying your clothes indoors so very seldom use our dryer. I think i used the heater for maybe 10 days in total this winter, but we haven't acclimatised yet, so didn't get cold