Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Anyone from Pietermaritzburg?  (Read 1470 times)

Offline addywads

• Hastings, Hawkes Bay
Anyone from Pietermaritzburg?
« on: April 26, 2009, 12:12:05 pm »
Hi, I am new to the forum and we left SA from Pietermaritzburg 1year ago (husband) and 9 months ago (myself).  We have PR and have settled in Hawkes Bay.  We love NZ but miss our family and friends in SA but are slowly making new friends.  The hardest of all was leaving our grown-up children behind  :(  For me I felt safe from the moment I landed in NZ after months of never really sleeping thro after having 3 intrusions into our property in 3 weeks.  I was also disheartened by all the corruption around me (I worked closely with the local council - enough said  :tickedoff: ) and couldnt see myself growing old in a country that "just didnt function".  The electricity was already failing and I thought the roads and water would be next.  I had visions of queuing for bread like Zim when I was a pensioner and it freaked me out.  Things are expensive here but we just adapt, eat less fancy food, wait for sales (and there are many)and dont eat out like we used to.  I cried many tears for a long time when we first got here and I am sure I will cry many more but we are on a great adventure and long may it last!
Life is too short for regrets.

Offline Nephia21

Re: Anyone from Pietermaritzburg?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 12:26:13 pm »
Congrads on being sooo brave - leaving your kids behind must be very difficult! Hope they plan to come out and visit you real soon!  Definitely the best move you could have ever made! We moved from Johannesburg - and have no regrets, only miss the family and friends!
We had an armed robbery - luckily I was not at home, but they tied up my two boys and DH and ransacked our house for three hours -  :tickedoff:
Who needs that kind of life?
Love NZ and love being here... We all shed tears, I am sure that is what makes us human!  ::)
Why wait?

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 12:26:13 pm »

Offline Hute

• Have a dream and work at it
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 06:07:25 pm »
Hi and  :welcome:  :)

Offline Saturn_Moon

• Certified Addict
  • Auckland, New Zealand
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 08:58:35 pm »
Hello addywads and  :welcome: to this amazing forum  :clap:

You couldn't have found a better forum and there are usually meet-ups in various parts of NZ if you want to get together with fellow SA'ns (look under the Braai Buddy's section).

Sorry to hear about the experience your hubby and boys had to go through.

Glad to hear you are happy in NZ. My DH and I are in the same boat, we love it here in NZ but miss our friends and family back in SA - my DH probably misses some parts of SA more than I do - Kruger National Park, Blyde River Canyon but we know we will visit there when we are also visiting family in SA on vacation.

Take care
S_M

Offline Amber

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 09:28:36 pm »
Yeah another Saffer for Hawkes Bay!  We live in NApier - where are you?
We are also really happy down here and feel so much safer.  We had a break in one night while we slept in our beds and I still feel sick when I think about what could have happened.
Amber 
Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe

Offline Werner

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 09:41:30 pm »
Welcome addywads.  We are from wonderful PMB and now living in Christchurch.  We chose CC because we thought it was as close to PMB before everything started going downhill.  If you are in CC let me know and we can have a coffee.
Job Offer Rec 17/11/08
EOI Selected 19/11/08
ITA Rec 13/12/08
ITA Submitted 06/01/09
PR Granted 05/03/09

Offline Paperdoll

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 07:04:08 am »
Hi there Addywads

Welcome!!  We are from Durban and we have been here almost 6 months now.  We live in Whakatane in the Bay of Plenty.  We, two souls also just came alone, leaving all our family back in SA (except my one brother who has been in LA for years).  And like everyone else miss the family (and have shed the tears as well  :'() - but we really love the lifestyle and freedom here.

So lovely to have you here and I am sure you will make some friends here as well.

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 07:04:08 am »

Offline Awa

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 07:57:13 am »
Hi Addywads.   We're also from Durban and have been here all of 9 months!   Best move we ever made.   Missing the family like crazy though but there are too many other things we are NOT missing.     Welcome to the forum and may you find many friends here - I certainly have. :clap:
Arrive in NZ in August 2008
WP received October 2008
EOI submitted April 2010
ITA received April 2010
PR Application Submitted 07 July 2010
PR Approved 18 February 2011

Offline Snoozy

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 09:06:57 am »
Hey. Welcome. Another Maritzburger here - we're now in Wellington, 11 months since we arrived. Again, if ever you're in the Capital, do give us a shout!

Offline Durbschick1

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 10:26:29 pm »
Hi and  :welcome:!! My baby girl was born in PMB, boy I miss those days, Maritzburg was a gr8 place, not a town and not a city! I'm sure you will feel at home in now time and your kids will join you in the future... I'm sure of that! I still  :'( lots for my family, but I'm sure in the long run the important ones will join us!  ;D

Offline addywads

• Hastings, Hawkes Bay
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 05:02:43 am »
Hey. Welcome. Another Maritzburger here - we're now in Wellington, 11 months since we arrived. Again, if ever you're in the Capital, do give us a shout!
Hey Snoozy - whereabouts in PMB were you from?  What business were you in or where did you work? 
Life is too short for regrets.

Offline maanhaarleeu

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 09:16:58 am »
Welcome,

Usually it's the kids who leaves the parents behind  :D 
Most people I met in their 40s+ simply state they are to old to emigrate and they would have done it if they were younger.
I believe there are 2 kinds of people in life, those that do and those that talk.
Needless to say, hats of to you guys for doing and being doers ...  :clap:

Hope you guys find what you are looking for and not like U2 who still hasn't found what THEY were looking for.

Ciao
Auckland NZ, Howick

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 09:16:58 am »

Offline firefly

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 09:38:49 am »
There are 3 kinds of people in life. Those who watch things happen and those who make things happen. Then there is the 3rd kind and they wonder what the hell happened.  :clown: :clown:

Offline Clarikdeens

• Torbay, Auckland
    • The Paint Basket
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 09:45:41 am »
The 4th are those who did not think it would happen  :2funny: :2funny:
The 5th are those who hoped it would not happen  :eek:
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 09:48:00 am by Clarikdeens »

Offline renatte

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009, 11:28:20 am »
Hi

:welcome:, I recently joined.  We are on our way to Napier, sorting out paperwork you were very brave to leave kids, very tough decision