Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Here we go, boys!  (Read 2708 times)

Offline Marilize

Here we go, boys!
« on: March 29, 2007, 10:13:21 am »
Surrounded by a locust-like swarm of Magna dudes as I type - they arrived at 9 this morning and 2 hours later my entire house is almost boxed up.  These guys really are like ants - all the warnings were not exaggerated!  A couple of things that we discovered -
If you can move out a day or two before, you can at least get your bedding and curtains washed.  Check whether your curtains can be washed - some of mine are dry clean only and I only saw that yesterday so they are going into the container absolutely filthy!
Moving out before also gives you a place to store stuff.  We took all our baggage (120kg of it), papers and docs, laptop etc to my sister's, so they can go dilly with everything in the house.  We also took stuff out of the cupboards and bathrooms and put them in bags on the beds, so they don't need to go into any spaces marked with X - saves time (I think).

Very important - they stick things into any nook and cranny.  I had a pile of bedding, duvet inners etc and it wasn't enough (obviously stashed my nice stuff in a chest, but that was probably not necessary - they just fold the stuff, put it inside bookshelves or on the couches and wrap the whole lot).  You need LOADS of soft, light stuff - they even stacked all J's puzzles and games into a shelf.

Gotta run
M

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
Re: Here we go, boys!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 11:51:20 am »
 :gl: Marlize, when are you flying again?

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 11:51:20 am »

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 02:41:06 pm »
I'm busy packing our stuff a little at a time.  By the time we get the movers here, they should only have to pick up all the boxes and put them in the container.  That way I know where everything is.   :)
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 06:12:21 pm »
Good planning Colleen.  That is my intention as well I just never seem to get around to doing it.  I have to tackle a big box of paperwork but I know I will need to spread it all out in little piles across the room .  With kids and a show house on Sunday I just can't do it!!! :crazy2:

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 08:42:11 am »
HUGs to you MJ, I know how it goes... I couldn't start, until a friend came by and got me going, and we packed 4 boxes of books, and a box of linen.  Since then I've only packed two more boxes... Now I'm first painting and repairing to put our house on hte market, then I'll get back to packing.... I feel something like this:   :D :crazy2: :heeha:
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 09:27:01 pm »
Thanks Colleen :)  I am really going to try and give myself a kick up the backside next week although with the schools being on holiday I find everything I  throw away my boys quickly put back.  Bribery could work though.. :clap:

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 10:26:28 pm »
A friend gave me this tip:   Give each of them a box (you choose the size) and let THEM pack the toys they want to keep.  When it's full, if they want to add something, they will have to take something else out.  Allow them about a week to two weeks (or however long you think you will allow) to "trade" with their boxes.  When it's time to seal the boxes, what's in is in, and what doesn't fit, goes. 

With Joshua, we went together through his room, and I let him choose what he didn't want.  We put that into a box, which will be thrown out, but when they're at school I sneak some other stuff that I know they wont miss.  I haven't done the same for Heidi yet.  her turn comes still!
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 10:26:28 pm »

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2007, 06:53:21 am »
Good idea Colleen, but I'm afraid Candice will need a room size box  :P :buck2:

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2007, 12:52:09 pm »
It is Tristan's birthday on the 19th so no doubt he will be getting more toys to add to the other lot.  Have alrealdy managed to throw out quite a bit though!!

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2007, 04:43:48 pm »
Good idea Colleen, but I'm afraid Candice will need a room size box  :P :buck2:

Well, if I took all the kids toys, so would they.  I'm putting limits down, because I think the kids have too much toys.  Face it, how much do they play with ALL those toys? 
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline zatexnz

• Wizard
  • Hamilton, NZ
    • Colorific Photography
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2007, 04:45:29 pm »
It is Tristan's birthday on the 19th so no doubt he will be getting more toys to add to the other lot.  Have alrealdy managed to throw out quite a bit though!!

My kids bdays are coming up on April 11 and 13th.  I'm throwing out a BUNCH of toys before then.  They will get the new toys, and keep a few really favourites.  i am NOT packing all their toys for NZ.  But that is just my decision.  :)
lekker sweet as, y'all
~ Colleen

Offline MJ

• Certified Addict
  • Cambridge
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2007, 07:14:40 pm »
Tristan is a lego fanatic so at least that packs away nicely in boxes.  I threw away a toy in the last move that I though he would'nt notice.  He is still looking for it and asking where is is. oops

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2007, 07:14:40 pm »

Offline chantel

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2007, 09:50:21 am »
when the movers unloaded this side; the one guy turned to me and said ... you guys moved more toys than furniture I have never seen so much toys !!!  :-[
haha anyhows it looked worse than it was cause I packed some household stuff in those plastic crates; so they labeled them toys on the inventory . I guess theres quite a bit in retrospect I could have left...

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2007, 11:13:53 pm »
Mel climbed into Candy's room Saturday and also dumped a lot of rubbish, like these silly toys you get everytime you go to Wimpy & McD's, so her room is looking better already.