Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Cam Belts  (Read 3094 times)

Offline BlueAngel

Cam Belts
« on: June 10, 2009, 02:10:35 pm »
Can anyone tell me the approximate cost of replacing a cambelt over there ? Specifically on a Subaru Forester ?

Thanks.
If you can't get rid of the skeleton in your closet, better you take it out and teach it to dance.

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
    • Oosthuizen family in NZ
Re: Cam Belts
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 06:10:18 pm »
Sorry Darryll, it is 05h00 in the morning and I don't know the price but you might find the info on www.repco.co.nz , I went and had a look and saw they do talk about cambelts but what I know about vehicles and parts and fixing them are dangerous so maybe if you have a look see or contact them, they might just be able to help you, sorry about that, hope it helps, Cheers, SAKB
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
18/07/2007-Selected from the Pool
07/03/2008-Receive ITA
15/05/2008-ITA Submitted-(hou duim vas)
11/12/2008-PR GRANTED-(thanx a lot!!!)

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 06:10:18 pm »

Offline magusta

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 09:43:35 pm »
i might be wrong, but usually the subaru's have camchains and not cambelts - and you don't have to replace the chain...i had a legacy rs30 - it had a chain, i also had a legacy wagon (non turbo) chain. but then again, maybe only certain models??

Offline !!DV!!

• The Venter
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 11:50:21 am »
Bit of a belated reply but your are looking in the region of $400 from what I have seen...

Have you had it done already ?

Offline BlueAngel

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 12:07:52 pm »
Don't have the car yet ! Am weighing up various options at the moment. Will be needing a car es soon as possible after I land and am just loking at servicing costs and stuff over there. Quite capable of doing it myself, but might not have the time right away.
If you can't get rid of the skeleton in your closet, better you take it out and teach it to dance.

Offline mandyh

• Certified Addict
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 08:33:54 pm »
In my honest opinion I wouldn't bring a car over here from SA - unless it's a really special type of car or a collectors item etc.  The cars here are really cheap.  To start off you can get a car for a couple thousand dollars and once settled get something else.  They buy and sell cars here so easily.  There's no hassle in buying selling - it's quick quick and done here.

If in Auckland there's the Ellerslie Car Fair every Sunday from 9-12.  We walked in, looked around and within an hour wallked out with a stunning car.  Done this twice already with absolutely no regrets at all. 

Do you know yet when your intake is going to be?

Offline BlueAngel

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 04:30:04 pm »
The date for the next intake has not been confirmed yet is a bit shaky at the moment. All my planning revolves around it so it is getting a little challenging right now. The last thing I want is for them to tell me "Hey, you need to be here in three weeks." Whilst my wife is geen for me to get out the house asap it would leave a very crammed three weeks. As for the Ellerslie car fair, I have been looking on their website every week to see whats available. A question crops up though. Are the cars on the website the only ones available ? or are there more available that are not listed on the site ? Anyone have any ideas ?

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 04:30:04 pm »

Offline Nolan

• Administrator
  • Supreme Being
  • Stanmore Bay, Auckland
    • Art by Nolan
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 08:50:34 pm »
i would not count on the cars on the site as they are probably out of date. The guys generally just pitch up on Sunday morning with car and for sale sign  under the arm ;)

Offline BlueAngel

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 05:57:05 pm »
I wondered why someone was battling to sell his Audi 80 for 6 months. Can't be that ***.

Offline !!DV!!

• The Venter
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2009, 10:19:13 am »
Hi Darryll,

Regarding Ellerslie there is much more cars on a Sunday morning than that are listed on the website... Some folks register beforehand and list their cars on the site, otherwise loads just pitch on a Sunday pay and show the cars...

Best would be to walk the beat you could also have a look on the turners Auctions to get a idea.

There would be reason why he is having issues, I would not touch a car without a current WOF and REGO, if either is missing or lapsed, could cost you thousands to get it on the road again.

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2009, 10:11:57 pm »
Yes, as long as the car has a WOF and a valid REGO then you should be ok. Bought a Honda Odessy that were standing next to the road with valid everything and the guy even surviced it before handing it over. Still driving it after about a year now and still no problems. What I would suggest you do is after I bought my vehicles I drove them for a while and when you think it is time for a service take it to a dealer and ask for a proper service and pay maybe a bit more than when you could have done it yourself but then you know it is all ok. Also did that with my Estima that I bought from a guy on Trade Me and I have that car now for 2 years already and not a days problems with it. My 2c worth, SAKB.
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
07/03/2008-Receive ITA

"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." (Benjamin Franklin)

Offline firefly

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 05:47:39 am »
sakiwiboer, first of all they don'y bother with anything less than 10c, secondly with inflation your 2c is now only worth 0.001c  :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 05:47:39 am »

Offline SaKiwiBoer

• Guru
  • We're in Tauranga.
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 09:54:00 am »
Firefly, that's why I say, "My 2c worth"...... because it's worth nothing to anybody but me.... :2funny: , Cheers, SAKB.
PS. When are you taking the road down to Roto again and see how a proper braai is being done, again....  :2funny: , seeing that you had your first braai at my house in NZ...  :2funny: ?
21/03/2007-EOI submitted
07/03/2008-Receive ITA

Offline firefly

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2009, 10:06:22 am »
We must make a plan, but I also have a real braai with real flames.  >:D If my memory serves me correct "getting old" it was FFFFFFFFFF cold last time we were down that way.  :o ::)

Offline onix

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2009, 10:45:46 am »
I had my car's cambelt replaced last week and it cost me $998. That included an oil change, cambelt, waterpump (they usually replace the waterpump with the cambelt service), tensioner pully, idler-something, a few other things...and the actually washed the car too  :clap:

I had it done at Penrose motors in Auckland and I can recommend them to anyone...they are very friendly and professional guys.  O0