Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Motorcycles and getting wet in NZ  (Read 2404 times)

Offline BlueAngel

Motorcycles and getting wet in NZ
« on: June 23, 2009, 05:03:24 am »
Hello again all. I have what I consider a classic motorcycle which I am considering bringing over to ride mainly in the summer months. I do imagine that venturing out on the thing during autumn and winter would amount to suicide by flu or something like that. Here come the questions....

Is anyone else out there riding a road bike around in defiance of all that is sane?
How do the costs for registration and insurance for motorcycles relate to cars in NZ?
Are there different categories of motorcycle licences in NZ or only one? (South Africa has a licence for under 125cc and another for over 125cc).
Has anyone been through the importation of a motorcycle already and was it traumatic?

I understand that it is quite a big process but I will really be kicking myself if I leave this bike behind. If the Lord was a biker he would ride a XT500.

Thanks all.
If you can't get rid of the skeleton in your closet, better you take it out and teach it to dance.

Offline Anna007

• Browns Bay, NZ
Re: Motorcycles and getting wet in NZ
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 05:30:56 am »
Sorry, we brought 4 offroad bikes, no idea on the road bike side.
 :gl:
"What we see depends mainly on what we look for"

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 05:30:56 am »

Offline !!DV!!

• The Venter
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 11:11:28 am »
I don't have a bike, but a few folks pass me in the traffic on all sorts of bikes and scooters... and weather  :uglystupid2:

So for the license, all most the same as in SA with a few differences, No license needed for Scooters under 50cc if you have a car license. Then you are licensed for under 250cc till you qualify to upgrade to something better like your XT  :clap:

But have a look here first-hand information:

http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/factsheets/28.html

Offline magusta

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 11:35:27 pm »
i miss my blade   :'(  :'(  :'( guess i would've been deported though  >:D have seen some superbikes riding around like scooters....weird.

anyway, keep in mind the speed limits are low 50km/h in town 100km/h on a thing they like to call a "state highway" which is more like a...driveway. the roads are ok i guess, but the gravel is "smaller" and can be slippery at times. bikes are a bit dear over here (expensive) compared to SA, if you're bike is in good cond and you don't want to part then bring it over - not too much hassles. check out kiwibiker forum - i think there's a "howto" on it. the rego/wof links are posted on here somewhere. you can deregister it for the winter if you're keen, it's not that cold, the wet sucks, but you can get good riding gear to mitigate that.

i wouldn't mind a touring bike to ride around with on weekends - towns here are pretty close to one another and there's lots to see. dunno where the kids will go?

i'm close to getting a cr250f - trail riding is big and fun ! my wife is keen on a cr230f and the kids can get small bikes - my boy is only 10 months old - so he has to be patient ! my daughter allready has one.

if you have a sa bike license - its only $40 to convert your car & bike license to unrestricted nz licenses here. if you don't have a bike license - get one in sa, it's a right b*tch to do it here i believe.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 11:37:16 pm by magusta »

Offline doodled

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 02:56:35 am »
They are talking of upping the yearly license fees to over $700 for large bikes. At the moment is is already way more than those for cars. It's actually the ACC fees which makes it so expensive.

Depending where you live in NZ biking could be OK most of the year. Summer is relatively short, but it does not mean that the rest of the year it's pouring every day. You live by the weather here, if the day is good you get out and do stuff. I wouldn't want to daily commute on a bike though, unless you don't mind getting wet often. But then I was always a fair weather biker, so only my opinion.

The main downside is the driving here, road biking can be hazardous to your health. Driving skills are in general pretty bad, tailgating and lack of use of indicators is more the norm than the exception.

Offline Mongrel Mobster

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 08:47:58 am »
We have a GL1500 and riding in the "platteland" is great. We wait to see what the new licence fees for big bikes is going to be. I still miss our GL1800 we had in SA.
Kind regards,

Edwin

Offline karinaper

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 09:36:49 pm »
Hi

This tread is so good that I am going to make my bike license booking tomorrow in Cape Town.  I ride an old 1985, Honda CB 650.  Rode to the Buffulo rally on it  O0  400km from Cape Town.  When we got home the Sunday I was so glad that I was still alive, considering all the taxis trying to push us of the road. (I am very luckily to have a DH who is supporting me in my quest for adrenalin >:D, he rides the smaller Yamaha 400) And I must agree I am also a Sunday breakfast run rider.  We are seriously considering bringing it along, if we bring an container,  waiting for quotes.  My worst fear is that it will be burned at customs, because of a spider making a nest in the exhaust pipe.  The NZ700 didnt seem to phase DH so that is a sigh of relief. 

Karina Perfect

Got PR 26 April 2010

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 09:36:49 pm »

Offline Mongrel Mobster

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 02:38:33 am »
Karina,
If you can bring your bikes then do so. We left our Honda GL1800 and GL1500 trike back in SA. However we have a GL1500 again and enjoy our Sunday rides.

Yesterday we did what I call "AROUND THE LAKES RIDE" - Whakatane, Rotorua, Te Puke and back to Whakatane. A round trip of about 180Km and it was great.I prefer riding in the cooler weather as in Summer I get way too hot with all the gear.

One also discovers some nice Cafe's along these roads where you can enjoy a Sunday breakfast / brunch / lunch or afternoon coffee.

If you are on Face book let me know by PM and I will get you on as a friend and you can view some pics I have taken on our rides along the lakes.

PS- All other bikers out there maybe we should organise a SA Bike meet up somewhere central!! Just a thought.
Kind regards,

Edwin

Offline Paperdoll

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 02:44:53 am »
Hey Biker Chick!  Welcome!

I'm the OH of Edwin and you can have great fun being a bikey here (By the the way, bikers are cyclists here and us motorbike riders are the bikeys).  We have had some awesome rides and NO TAXIS to worry about.

We lived in Durban and I was always terrified of the taxis on the road - now its an absolute pleasure to get out on our bike for rides.

Keep us updated on your progress.

Offline karinaper

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 06:48:13 pm »
Hi all

Ok I get it I'm a bikey.  Looking forward to seeing the photos.  180 km sounds just right for me.  Can't wait. We went to Tulbagh for the Shark rally this weekend.  Fantastic weather. 

Kind regards

Karina
Got PR 26 April 2010