Advice and Support for South Africans Immigrating to New Zealand

South Africans Going To New Zealand

Author Topic: Our life in Auckland - An update  (Read 1036 times)

Offline christopher.forbes1974

Our life in Auckland - An update
« on: July 29, 2009, 08:52:33 am »
Well. We have now been here in Auckland for just short of 3 months no, so here goes an update.

We are enjoying it over here, but do miss certain Cape Town things such as shopping malls etc but otherwise life is good. Wife and baby to be are doing well and the maternity care here in Auckland has been great so far. Even got a 4d scan at 13 weeks free of charge.

We have moved into our own place in Mainrangi Bay as of 2 weeks ago and yesterday was like Christmas when our container finally arrived. A couple of small breakages such as a mug and a mirror but nothing major. I can recommend Magna Movers in Cape Town and NZ Vanlines here in Auckland. They did an excellent job. I am very glad I brought over the container with all our stuff as buying it here again would have cost us a fortune in South African Rands. I generally find things over here to be 2 to 3 times more expensive than SA if you are buying in rands.

I now also have a permanent job after contracting for 3 weeks, so it is going well.

I did have a small incident with my car but the insurance, AA, here is super. They just booked the car in, no questions asked and gave me a Toyota Auris for $5 per day. They keep you well informed of progress and I pick up the repaired car tomorrow.

Thats all for the moment.

Cheers
Chris :)

Offline mandyh

• Certified Addict
Re: Our life in Auckland - An update
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 09:10:16 am »
So glad you are happy and getting settled here in Auckland.

We've been here 18 months and absolutely love it.

SA Going to NZ Advice Forum

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 09:10:16 am »

Offline ryanrich

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 09:43:42 am »
I did the exact opposite move from you and moved from Auckland to Cape Town, haha.

Glad you're enjoying it, and managed to get a permanent job, that must be a big relief! All the best! :)

Offline Anna007

• Browns Bay, NZ
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 10:36:23 pm »
Sounds like you’re settling in well  8)

Must admit, when our container arrived it was indeed a glorious day, sleeping on my own bed again was absolutely fabulous… ditching that blerrie “air mattress” we slept on for 3 months was also blerrie fabulous !

Good luck with the unpacking process !  ;)
"What we see depends mainly on what we look for"

Offline frodo/maya

• Certified Addict
  • North Shore
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 06:10:14 am »
Sounds great- please keep us updated :)

Offline Saturn_Moon

• Certified Addict
  • Auckland, New Zealand
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 07:01:10 am »
 O0 Thanks for the update. Glad to hear things are going so well.